Helpful
Comments
cdnadmin
Level 11
Level 11

Subject: RE: Statistics of a call
Replied by: Abhishek Malhotra on 02-06-2010 08:32:32 AM
Hi Antonio,
once the media is established, JTAPI will deliver CiscoRTPInputStartedEv and CiscoRTPOutputStartedEv on Terminal Observer indicating the same.
InputStart -> Incoming Media Stream
OutputStart -> Outgoing Media Stream.

We expose getRTPInputProperties and getRTPOutputProperties on CiscoRTPInputStartedEv and CiscoRTPOutputStartedEv respectively which return CiscoRTPInputProperties and CiscoRTPOutputProperties. You can get the codec properties from these interfaces.

Please refer to the java docs of these interfaces for more details.

As of now, you cannot change the codec of the call once it is setup. However, at the time of RP/CTIPort registration you can specify the codecs your end point can support.

Replied by: Abhishek Malhotra on 02-06-2010 01:29:26 PM
Changing the codec mid call is not possible currently.
Though you can have settings at Admin level to control the codec to be used for calls between two Regions. Again this will be configured once and wouldn't change the codec in the middle of the call.

Replied by: Antonio Rotundo on 02-06-2010 02:31:29 PM
This means that on a call manager it is possible to have just all calls with the same codec??? Is it not possible to have some calls admitted with a codec and another set of calls admitted with another codec ?
Moreover, how it is possible to verify the call parameters in order to adopt some specific management policy?

Best Regards

This document was generated from CDN thread

Created by: Antonio Rotundo on 02-06-2010 08:19:40 AM
Hi,
I'm trying to observer the statistics of a call, for example I would like to view the audio's codec of a call and I would like to change it. I dont't receive any events when I try to view the media payload.

I succeeded to register RP and I receive the events when I do a call to RP. I'm also able to do the Select Route and End Route of a Route Session.

1) Is It possible to access at the data of the codec negotiated during a call?
2) Is It possible to change the codec of a call?

Best Regards
Antonio Rotundo

Replied by: Antonio Rotundo on 02-06-2010 08:58:39 AM
Thanks Abhishek,
I would like to change the audio's codec not for on going calls, but for new arriving calls.
For example, if I have ten admitted calls with a codec "X" and a new call arrives on the CCM I would like to assign a codec "Y".
Is It possibile?

Best Regards

Replied by: Abhishek Malhotra on 03-06-2010 05:28:22 AM
Codec of the call is determined at Media layer, we(JTAPI folks) have limited expertise in that area. I will try and see if I can get someone with expertise in Media side to comment on this.

The Region specific configuration under MRM that i was referring was, allows admin to configure codecs that are to be used for various Inter-Region and Intra Region calls.
For Ex. You can define that calls within Region "A" would use codec "X" calls within Region "B" should use codec "Y" and calls between region "A" and "B" should use codec "Z" 

For:

Moreover, how it is possible to verify the call parameters in order to adopt some specific management policy?

Can you please elaborate what all call parameters you want to verify.

Replied by: Abhishek Malhotra on 04-06-2010 04:53:30 AM

Got following extra information on this from Mohan(JTAPI and Media expert):

If in case you are looking for
a way to find out the codec info before answering the call (at RP). Currently
we don¿t have any mechanism to expose these before the call is answered.
 Typically end points can support more than 1 codec and CUCM (media layer)
has a selection logic to select the best common codec for the call. But from
JTAPI interface perspective application will know about them only after the
call is answered and we don¿t have any interfaces exposing this info at end
point level.

Replied by: Antonio Rotundo on 04-06-2010 10:38:00 AM
Abhishek thanks for your attention.
I'm trying to verify what you have suggested me.

Best Regards

Replied by: David Staudt on 09-06-2010 10:42:41 PM
As endpoint are registered to UCM, they advertise their supported codecs.  UCM records these capabilities, and when a call is connected between two such devices, an algorithm on UCM determines which codec to use (usually highest common denominator); this can be effected by the 'Region' feature, where the admin can force a particular codec to be used between two regions.

You have hinted at your use case, but assuming it's something like 'allow 10 calls at g.711, allow another 10 calls at g.729' its likely you can accomplish something like this via advanced UCM features, perhaps a combination of Regions, multiple trunks, call-admission-control and route groups.  A conversation with TAC or your Cisco implementation partner may be helpful.

As mentioned in this thread, you can learn the codec used on a particular call only after it is established.  If you want to effect the codec of future calls, you will need to either modify the Region/codec of endpoints (via AXL SOAP API) or if the endpoint is a CTI port under your app control, re-registering the CTI port advertising only the desired codec.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links