Announcements

Community Helping Community

Writing straight VXML instead of CVP studio. Impact on reporting

Views
Helpful
Comments
This document was generated from CDN thread

Created by: Chandra Mouli on 30-07-2012 01:51:16 PM
If I decide to not use the CVP studio but write VXML myself ( say using a plain vanilla text editor ), are there any impacts on the reporting features provided out of the box by CVP? We would like to retain the full capabilities of the CVP Reporting Server and the Cisco United Intelligence Center and its standard reporting templates. Asking so I do not lose those capabilities if I do not use CVP studio.

Second, we would like to log some custom information that is obtained from the user ( like an account number ). Do I just use the standard VXML log element or does CVP provide any custom logging functions for this? In either case, would that data end up in the reporting server database and be available for reporting?

Thanks.

Subject: RE: Writing straight VXML instead of CVP studio. Impact on reporting
Replied by: Hemal Mehta on 30-07-2012 02:47:31 PM
If I decide to not use the CVP studio but write VXML myself ( say using a plain vanilla text editor ), are there any impacts on the reporting features provided out of the box by CVP? We would like to retain the full capabilities of the CVP Reporting Server and the Cisco United Intelligence Center and its standard reporting templates. Asking so I do not lose those capabilities if I do not use CVP studio.

Second, we would like to log some custom information that is obtained from the user ( like an account number ). Do I just use the standard VXML log element or does CVP provide any custom logging functions for this? In either case, would that data end up in the reporting server database and be available for reporting?

Thanks.

You can write using straight vxml.  How do you plan to call the vxml, just within the studio or completely bypass studio and just invoke from ICM?
From my perspective, CVP reporting is ok to have but not a must.  It depends on what you are looking for.  I can get the same information with my own scripts and some other CUIC reports.
Essentially  any call coming through app deployed on CVP vxml server can have the data written to the reporting server.  CVP logging happens because the of the fact you deployed the app on the CVP vxml server and defined the what you want to log.   I am personally like writing low level vxml however working on Cisco platform you may be more at advantage to develop your apps on Studio as it comes with several inbuilt capabilities.  This is from perspective of maintenance, troubleshooting etc.  You can consider using studio and calling your vxml through subdialog or vxml insert.
Hemal

Replied by: Chandra Mouli on 31-07-2012 12:38:14 AM
Thanks Hemal. That is helpful. The choice of straight VXML is due to other constraints. I think what we will end up doing is to serve the vxml from a different a HTTP web server and point CVP to fetch the vxml from that URL. That should be OK, right?

Given such a deployment, do you see any issues with logging of custom information ( like the collected account number ) into the reporting database? Will I just use the VXML log tag?

Thanks.

Replied by: Janine Graves on 31-07-2012 08:15:27 AM
Chandra,

In order to store data into the CVP Reporting Server, you'll have to invoke the VXML from Studio. This is most easily done using the SubdialogInvoke element in Studio.

When your vxml returns to the studio application, you can return data in the namelist attribute of the <return/> statement.

In Studio, that data will be stored into Element Data and will be sent to the Reporting Server automatically.

Alternatively, you can assign the values from Element Data into Session Data variables that you create.

Or use the General tab in the studio elements and execute 'Add to Log' or use custom java to do either of these things.

All these methods (Element, Session, Add to Log) store data  to the reporting server. Basically, anything in Studio can be sent to the reporting server, except external VXML.

For data to be sent to the reporting server, you must configure which data to send (for each Vxml Server) through the Operations Console. By default, no application details are sent. You can specify to send Application Details and then configure *.*.*.* for your inclusive filter (send everything to the reporting server).

You should test this out with a simple application and become familiar with the tables and how data is stored there.

Janine

Replied by: Hemal Mehta on 31-07-2012 01:20:44 PM
Chandra,
         The data in vxml reporting server is based off what is coming from Studio.  Janine has provided some good details. Look at this link and read up about the reporting server.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cust_contact/contact_center/customer_voice_portal/cvp8_0/configuration/guide/cvp_801_report.pdf

Looks at the section on VXMLtables

you can get the values you want to log and use may be a audio element with silence audio and add to log all the values you want to add.

Replied by: Chandra Mouli on 01-08-2012 02:39:04 AM
Thanks very much Janine and Hemal. I think I understand. Let me proceed further with this info and get back here if I have any further questions. You have been very helpful. Thanks again.

Replied by: Rick Pettit on 11-10-2012 03:46:09 PM
"In order to store data into the CVP Reporting Server, you'll have to invoke the VXML from Studio. This is most easily done using the SubdialogInvoke element in Studio."
"When your vxml returns to the studio application, you can return data in the namelist attribute of the <return/> statement. "
===
So in a deployment in which an external VXML application was invoked using the SubdialogInvoke element in Studio, would the Application Summary Reports (one of the stock Cisco-designed reports for Unified CVP) have any information on what took place within that external VXML application? VXML elements visited, prompts played, etc?
Or does that information only make it to the CVP Reporting Server for VXML built using Call Studio, and not just any VXML "rendered" by the Cisco CVP VXML intepreter?

Subject: AUTO: Dan Tomik is out of the office (returning 10/23/2012 10:00 AM)
Replied by: Dan Tomik on 11-10-2012 03:53:26 PM
I am out of the office from 10/10/2012 05:00 PM until 10/23/2012 10:00 AM.

Note: This is an automated response to your message "New Message from Rick
Pettit in Customer Voice Portal (CVP) - General Discussion - All Versions:
RE: Writing straight VXML instead of CVP studio. Impact on reporting" sent
on 10/11/2012 04:46:20 PM.

This is the only notification you will receive while this person is away.
This communication may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information.   It is intended only for the individuals named as recipients. If you are not an intended recipient you are not authorized to disseminate, distribute or copy this communication.  If you’ve received this communication by mistake, please notify the sender immediately and delete or destroy it, as appropriate.

Subject: Automatic reply: New Message from Rick Pettit in Customer Voice Portal (CVP
Replied by: Reach Company on 11-10-2012 03:56:26 PM
Dears ,
I'm on vacation starting from 14Oct -24Oct .for assistance please contact my colleagues, Islam Irshaid , at +970 (59) 8080132 email: Islam.Irshaid@hulul.com. shaker khanfar , at +970 (59) 8080100 email: shaker.khanfar@hulul.com
Thanks
CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
FusionCharts will render here