Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
ronlewis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The Shared Multiparty (SMP) Licensing offered with TelePresence endpoints supports Multiparty conferencing using TelePresence infrastructure components on customers premises. The customer acknowledges by purchasing SMP license that they have already or plan to deploy the necessary hardware to support Multiparty Conferencing.

Each SMP license allows for one concurrent meeting with unlimited participants, deployed using Cisco Meeting Server or Cisco Telepresence Server. The SMP license also includes 1 Expressway Rich Media Sessions (RMS), and the CUCM/Expressway TP Room License. A single RMS licenses now only needed on Expressway-E with version X8.8 and higher.

For Multiparty conferencing using the SMP License requires one of these options deployed;

• Cisco Meeting Server(s) with an activation key (R-CMS-K9, included with CMS1000 bundle)
  • Cisco TelePresence Server without screen licenses, Cisco Telepresence Conductor, and Cisco TelePresence Management Suite (TMS) with Provisioning Engine (TMS-PE).

New customers without CUWL Pro or Meetings, should look at the SMP Starter Kit to get initial package licenses.

Existing customers can just add additional SMP License to their Meeting Server or Conductor.

For deployment details, see here http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/conferencing/collaboration-meeting-rooms-premises/model.html

More information on SMP along with Personal Multiparty for CUWL-Pro customers, see this at a glance.

Ordering guide with CCO login at http://cisco.com/go/meetingserver

(This note is for CCW users ordering SMP needing more information)

Comments

Hello Srini,

I also don't see when to use PMP and when SMP licenses?

Can you please give any example when SMP is better choice than PMP?

CUWL PRO starter bundle has just a little bit higher price than SMP with EX/SX endpoint (which is buy the way still not available). Available SMP license is 9,000$, while the TP endpoint bundle license is 4,990$.

On the other hand BE6K-START-PRO35 is 5,375$.

skilambi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you look purely from a price standpoint you may realize PRO starts to become a better value once you cross a certain number of users plus with BE6K bundles CUWL PRO is already set at an aggressive price and not to mention for existing customers who have programs to go to PRO. Even if SMP includes TP room registration which CUWL PRO doesn't so to get accurate apples to apples, you should add 650 bucks to CUWL PRO, PRO still includes infrastructure licensing which SMP doesn't. The key point is to see my post above. If this is a personal user doing multi party then you should use PRO. On the other hand if you have a customer who doesn't want to license users as PRO, is VCS Only(since PMP only applies to UCM) or has some shared rooms that they want to give everyone access to use without licensing every user as PRO, SMP may make sense. Also remember you are not buying SMP for every shared room. You can buy just one SMP for a company and what that means is the right to have one meeting of any size from any endpoint. SMP is meeting based, not endpoint based. It is a completely different way of looking at licensing. f a customer has let's say 10K users and let's say 10 shared rooms across the world. If they want to every user to be able to have a meeting from those rooms, you will need to license everyone as PRO vs with SMP you may find that you only need to license number of concurrent meetings hapenning at one point. So if they don't do more than 2 meetings at a time, it is just 2 SMP.

So Cisco recommends looking at PRO for sure but maybe even as small as 1 SMP as a fall back for rooms that maybe used by users who won't be PRO. SMP also gets consumed if a user walks over to a conference room and the endpoint in that room isn't assigned to a user in UCM(like a shared SX/MX) then you will use SMP if you do a adhoc call or if you use rendeavous calling.

Robert McAffery
Level 1
Level 1

Does SMP give you TP screen licences or does this look different on the Conductor and TP server?   So if you have 50 VC Room EPs (generic meeting rooms) you could potentially only need 10 x SMP licences?

It does seem like a great product!

Thanks, Rob

skilambi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

SMP purchased with the endpoint gives you TP room license which you load on ccm like before. The SMP is on conductor

To your question on how many it depends on how many meetings do you think will happen at the same time? SMP licenses meetings not endpoints so decide on your peak usage of meetings and that's your number. Remember you can always start small, see the usage on conductor and if you exceed it over a 60 day window you will see warnings today. It doesn't shut off your meeting. Then you can go and purchase more and right size it

Thanks

Srini

Hello Srini,

thank you for the previous explanations.

In the case when there are 20-25 users and 4 conference rooms (which can be used some of these 20-25 users and some other users).

Are 20-25 PMP and 4 TP room licenses enough or we need one SMP license also?

>>... you should add 650 bucks to CUWL PRO, PRO still includes infrastructure licensing which SMP doesn't

BE6K-START-PRO35 is 5,375$ (35 CUWL PRO) and TP Room license 650$ (according to the number of rooms), is less than available SMP license 9,000$.

In my understanding I think that  we add just one BE6K-START-PRO35 and in your example (10K users and let's say 10 shared rooms across the world) 10 TP rooms licenses and we have support that 10K users can use as shared resources TP rooms.

Is it correct or I missed something? 

regards,

Nikola

skilambi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You would need SMP license since you mention that it will be used by users who are not PRO. Remember even if all users who use those endpoints are PRO, SMP might still be consumed in these scenarios

1) If they dial a rendezvous URI and not their personal CMR

2) If they do an adhoc since that endpoint is a shared resource and will not be assigned to that user in UCM

In your second example again if you only license 35 users as PRO, can you guarantee only those users will use the rooms and do either personal, or scheduled. Remember adhoc will take SMP because a shared room resource should not be assigned to a user in UCM. If this was your personal endpoint like DX/EX/Jabber then adhoc will take PMP.

Hence I go back to my first comment which is look at the users who want to schedule/host meetings and make them PRO. For the others who walk to a room and use it, SMP will cover it. Remember again SMP is not endpoint based it is meeting based. So you are not buying 10 SMP for 10 shared rooms. It depends on usage of concurrent meetings to buy SMP. Also if purchased with an endpoint, SMP price is reduced so one can look at that too.

As I said buy one or two SMP, monitor usage in conductor and then decide based on violations.

OK, I understand for SMP.

But if there is a 4 conference  rooms with SXs do we need to put TP room licenses beside one SMP?

Or we need to put 3 TP room licenses and 1 SMP (in includes TP room license)?

In this moment SMP license is very expensive (there is no option for SMP license with new SX/MX device).

Regards,

Nikola 

skilambi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

When you buy the endpoint very soon you will see an option buy SMP at a reduced cost which will include the TP room license

Every endpoint that is Sx mx ix needs a TP room license to register to ccm

So if you buy SMP with endpoint it include TP room license so the other three will need just the tp room license

Thanks

Srini

Srini,

thank you very much.

Regards,

Nikola

brandon.echele
Level 4
Level 4

Srini,

How does the switch to PMP/SMP affect the Optimized Conferencing feature of Conductor?

skilambi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It doesn't affect that since we are not even counting SL anymore. You get as many SL as you want so to speak to have your meetings up to the capacity of the hardware

brandon.echele
Level 4
Level 4

So audio only callers will take a full pmp port? The reason I ask is that customers are asking if they migrate from VTS with SLs and optimized conferencing to PMP/SMP, will they need more compute.

skilambi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

All I saw on a deck was audio only caller license change was on the roadmap backlog. Today it takes 1/52 of a SL for an audio but in the new model, Cisco is giving 1 SL = 1 SMP for existing users. I agree it will be nice to see some migration docs once the program is rolled out later in the year

Taranjit Singh Dhaliwal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Srinivasan,

Have a query which is really clouding this whole TP licensing portfolio change.

Customer bought 4 Cisco MX300 G2 units from a different vendor/partner. No SMP or TP room license ordered from within the unit's SKU. (Likely because they were not aware of the licensing model change)

Can I use 4 CUWL Pro licenses to register and use these MX300's on UCM 10? or will I absolutely need the LIC-TP-SMP-EP  license which includes the TP room license. Just trying to understand the point of SMP when there is no TP server/conductor deployed to leverage multiparty video.

I cant order the TP room license individually anymore as it is dependent on the SMP license, and the SMP in turn is dependent on the MX300 unit itself. Assuming we order SMP someway a'la carte and TP room license is included with it, will that just give us point to point video or is there a inbuilt bridge on MX300's which allows 4 party video conference?

skilambi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Room units need TP licenses. CUWL PRO does not include TP room licenses. You can just buy TP room license ala-carte, you don't need to buy PRO. You do not need SMP license if you only want P2P calling.

Under R-UCL-UCM-LIC-K9 you should see TP room license

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: