Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
Laura Douglas
Level 6
Level 6

The live webcast has passed, but the questions asked during the live webcast are listed below.  Some answers are provided and we are working on getting the others to you.  Subscribe to this space (or this specific document) to get notified when more answers are added.

Also, view the workshop replay if you missed it live or want to review again,

Description of Webcast:

Tues, Oct 15, 2009
2:00 p.m.– 4:00 p.m. EDT

Cisco Unified Communications Manager (UCM) (formerly Cisco Unified CallManager) is the powerful call-processing component of the Cisco Unified Communications solution. It provides voice, video, mobility, and presence services for businesses with up to 30,000 users and is designed to lower the total cost of ownership for organizations and improve the communications experience for end users as well as system administrators.

Cisco Unified Communications Manager 7.1 delivers more than 40 new features built around three themes:

• Reduced cost of ownership
  • An open system that allows unified communications components to interoperate transparently
  • Improved user experience

During this broadcast we will review many of these new features and discuss how to plan and execute your upgrade, keeping in mind the interdependencies with Cisco and third party applications in your environment.

If you are a current Cisco UCM customer, running a version prior to version 6, we ask you to review our past shows that discuss the planning and execution necessary to migrate to version 6. The multi-part series can be found as webcasts #2 and #3 in the workshops archive. The content presented during this show, with its migration techniques and best practices, will assume that customers are running at least version 6.0.

If you are a current customer who wants to understand what the newest version of Communications Manager holds for your organization, or a new customer who is interested in learning more, please join us for this free workshop.

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS FROM LIVE WEBCAST

QuestionAnswer
WIth UCM 7.1(3), is it the same migration path for 7.0 from 4.1?There's   an upcoming slide on upgrade paths that should cover this.  If still unclear after that, please ping   again.
When will inbound caller blocking (based on originating   number)  be supported with MGCP   gateways? This is a frequently requested feature on the cisco-voip mailing   list.Peter,   you are correct.  It has been asked for   about as long as callerid on FXO.  This   feature was slated for 8.0, but it looks like that has been pushed to   something later.  Sorry I don't have   better news
Is the attendant console supported in 7.1.4yes.  AC is supported in 7.1
Is there an upgrade path from 4.13 to 7.01?Looks   like double hop is required.
What release first  had  IPv6?7.1(2)
Will the list of defects be made available to us?There   is a list of open caveats in the release notes for each release.
Will the list of defects be made available to us?For   instance, see   http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/7_1_3/cucm-rel_notes-713.html
Can you use abreviated dial to enter voicemail password.No,   abbreviated dialing is for call setup only.
during 7.1 upgrade (from 7.02) do the custom softkey templates   get the 'abbrdial' added to the off-hook states?No,   'abbrdial' is not automatically added to existing custom softkey templates.
Sorry, 4.13 to 7.1 I meantThere's   an upcoming slide on upgrade paths that should cover this.  If still unclear after that, please ping   again. It has a complete upgrade matrix.
OK, thanks.  Just to   clarify:  My question is "Is there   an upgrade path (technical and license) from 4.13 to 7.1xDave,   we did a multi-part show last year that started with 4.x and 5.x version and   moved folks to version 6.1.  With this   show we are building on a 6.x version to move to 7.1.  You can find the  shows to get to v6.x in the archives.
Yes, but the question remains:  Can I go from 4.13 to 7.1x?the   answer is yes .. you can upgrade from 4.1(3) to 7.1(x).  You can check the 7.1x ordering guide for   more details.
me looking at a presentation about 4.x to 5.x/6.x isn't going to   answer my question if I can go from 4.13 to 7.1xHi   Dave Walsh: Yes you can upgrade from 4.1, however this program does not cover   this migration.  the other presentation   will provide you the general guidelines to upgrade to appliance model which   should be fairly similar
Why is a Cisco VOIP conference call being accessed by   participants via Webex rather than Cisco's solution?Webex   is Cisco.  Acquired back in 2007, I   think.
How does the Local Route Group differ from the previously   released Local Group?dan   is walking through it right now
ahhh...we are trying to find a conf. calling solution and   Cisco's solution is very expensive. we are looking at a Webex solution to   enhance our VOIP system. Thanks for answering.You   are welcome!
Any updates on 7.X and JITC for DOD clients?
Bruce, the question is not so much from an ordering perspective,   but from a technical perspective.  In   other words, can I do a direct up grade from 4.13 to 7.1x without having to   hop to some 6.x or something in betweenHi   Dave Walsh, Yes you can directly upgrade from 4.x to 7.x, you'll need to use   the Data Migration Assistant (DMA) tool to pull a back up from 4.x which will   format the data into 7.x format and then do an import/restore on a blank 7.x   publisher
Is there any plan to support pauses during dialing?Can   you please elaborate?  Do you wish to   simply extend the interdigit timeout?
On the logins - What about assigning Numeric login for Extension   Mobility to Alpha AD logins?Joshua,   can you clarify for me.  We already   support numeric login with EM.  It's a   service parameter for EM service.  Are   you referring to something else?
in the local route group model - if the local PSTN trunks that   are related to a device pool are full/down can outbound calls overflow to   another site's PSTN gateway?the   LRP is tied to a device pool for dynamic choosing a local" PSTN gateway   for outbound calls.. in a normal configuration .. the outbound calls   shouldn't get routed to another site's PSTN gw"
Which 7.x version are the audit logs first available?7.1(2)
This Audit log is part of 7.1(3)?The   Audit Logging feature was introduced in 7.1(2) and is consequently included   in 7.1(3).
OK, I have two separate answers now ....
Is there a search function on the Audit Log, so we can find a   specific event/device?There's   no filtering in the native viewer, but the audit logs can be viewed in any   text editor where searching could be performed.
Lennie says I can do it with DMA, and Bruce says I can't.Lennie   is right.  You can use DMA for direct   upgrade from 4.1(3) to 7.1
Which is right?Sorry   Dave.  There are lots of version to and   from.  We were doing a bit of research   on your particular question.  We see at   this link  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/ccmcompmatr.html#wp83003  that a direct upgrade is available.
Do any 7.0(x) versions have audit log capability?Audit   Logging was a feature new to 7.1(2).
I will have a brand new server here
Can you sort/search the Audit log entries?There's   no filtering in the native viewer, but the audit logs can be viewed in any   text editor where searching could be performed.
Is the Geolocation add to the cdr record ?This   question has been answered verbally.
Would this work for defining locations for 911? Building, floor,   etc?It   would help but it wont do what you looking for from CER
My question was with regards to dialing + on Cisco IP phone with   appreviated dial?
Do SIP phone atleast support v6 only?
any enhancements to CDR/call auditing?Unfortunately,   this is not a direct answer, but any changed or new CDR fields would be   documented in the CUCM CDR Administration Guide,   http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/service/7_1_2/cdrdef/cdradmin.html
Does the cisco SIP phone support v6 only?It   support both IPV4 and IPV6
What is entailed in an in place upgrade from 7.0 to the newest   CUCM version? How does this affect Untiy?Hi   Stacey Trosper, CUCM 7.0 to 7.1 upgrade is the easiest possible upgrade   because you don't need a license (assuming you have a support Contract) and   you can download the upgrade files directly from CCO.  You may need to upgrade the Unity TSP...
To make sure I understand Cisco phone support V4 and V6 under   SCCP and SIPIPV6   is SCCP only at this time.
Why is that not an option?  "Would you like to delete the original?"Joshua,   that was discussed with DE and the biggest concern was DLU usage.  Most customers do not have enough DLU's to   support a large migration of phones and support the old phones so it was   decided to remove the old phone prior to inserting the new phone.
How many phones max are supported in a single 7.1 cluster?Each   cluster can support a maximum of 30,000 unsecured SCCP or SIP phones.
There are many sites that use multiple phones and I can already   see Admins wanting to use that feature to make phone copiesCUCM   already has a copy function and a super copy function.  Both these functions will copy the current   phone to the same model/protocol.  What   you can do is super copy the phone, then migrate the phone to the new model   type.
could you also migrate to BAT phones for TAPS activationThe   question is moot in 7.1(3) because we don't support TAPS in 5.x, 6.x or   7.x.  We will reintroduce TAPS in CUCM   in 8.0.
Will 7.x support mass changes from a 5 digit to 7 digit dial   plan?you   cant you still need to use bat to delete and add lines
Can i run CUCM 7.1.3 onyou   can not officially though, I think the official VMWare support will be in   7.1.4
VMware
Any way to determine if a Internal call/phone is off hook???   Users call inner office and cannot determine if they are off hook..Mel,   you can using a Busy Lamp Field (BLF)or  you can use the directory lookup.
is the dbreplication quick auditall only a manual check?  Is there any automated process that RTMT   can alert on?Yes,   RTMT can monitor and display the DB Replication status.  But I don't think the RTMT will trigger an   alarm on this event.
what are plans on moving the appliance to a blade environment?Patrick,   It's on the roadmap, and there should be some progress in the next year.
Can you have a pause in the dialing plan?you   cant within the CUCM or with MGCP GW
When will there be a backup solution that is the same for all UC   products (CM, Unity, CCX)?
are they any new features and/or improvements regarding the   integration of CM with Windows Active Directory?Renato,   compared to 4.x, the integration with AD is much improved.  When 8.0 comes out, there will be   additional improvements regarding filtering.
Any improvement in reports?  I need the total number of calls processed by the system, either daily   or monthly  - as of today, this info is   not readily available. Any plans to provide this?
when 7.1.4 will be released?No   firm date on 7.1(4), but it would not be out any sooner than Q1 of 2010.  7.1(3) was just released last week.
How long until version 8 comes out?2010   around Feb
Will we discuss the license
I know Unity can run on a Virtual Machine, when will CM be able   to run on a VM?
nov?
Slightly OT: Any progress in combining end user web portals   (i.e. user options web page and PCA) to a single site?
Was there any updates to Intercom calling in 7.1?
what about the caveats to ATTCON with Call Park and Call   Broadcast not working with attendant console
can I use the phone firmware for 7.1(3) in my 4.2(3)   environment
Robert- Please put this question in the Q&A Panel below so   the proper panelist can respond.  Please leave the Chat window for any technical problems you are   experiencing
this is to upgrade all my phone firmware prior to my actual   upgrade to 7.1(3) from 4.2(3).
Compatibility with Office Communications 2007 R2??????????????
I have noticed forwarding of non-primary lines is still not   available. This was identified as a defect early in version 3/4. Is there any   plan to deliver the ability to forward non-primary lines any time soon?
is SIP early offer without MTP on the roadmap for SIP trunk to   ITSP via CUBE connections
Are there any UC hosted DHCP enhancements related to management   and lease reports
With the improvements to Abriviated Dial, can the user press ABR   and see their list of numbers?  This is   an often requested desire from our users.
What version is the super cluster available
Is there a link for upgrading from 6.1(3) to 7.1(4)
the current phone firmware is 8.5(3) however there is no *.exe   file available for uploading to the CM 4.2(3)
any improvements in the UC reports related to having off box   file destinations
When will CUCM 8.x be released and will it be supported on   VMServer (ESX Server)8.0   is targeted for Q1CY10 .. and VMware ESXi 4 support is there currently
Are there plans to implement multi-tenant services? We support   over 300 sites and operationally need to give local staff access to only   their location
Can you shed some light on licesning for upgrade from 4.x to   7.x?
Partition are include in the CDR
we have around 6000 7940 and 7960 phones
Do we need to buy Unfied Enterprise Console license?
are there enhancements to IPMA in 7.1.x?
Will current Attendant Console be affected after upgrade to 7?
The link included supplied in the presentation does not show   6.1.2 as being a direct upgrade option to 7.1.3 but the slides seem to day   yes. Can we get clarification?diret   upgrade from 6.1.2 to 7.1.3 is not supported, it is two step upgrade
what is the name of the attendant console for 7.1
Will this option default to "PERMIT ALL" Policy for   anyone upgrading from 4.x to 7.1?James,   geolocation is not configured by default, so you would have to create and   define the geolocations and policy.  But we also allow default ALLOW/DENY policy for unspecified   geolocation pair.
Do I understand correctly that H.323 integration will no longer   be supported for MeetingPlace Express (2.1)?
What about VG248 Analog Gateway
How do you get from ER 1.x to 7.x
How do you get from ER 1.x to 7.x?
He mentioned IOS gatekeepers; what about IOS gateways running   MGCP?
http://www.cisco.com/en/us/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/ccmcompmatr.html  site at the bottom of the slide doesn't   seem to be be functional.  Do you have   the correct link?
will the ASA5520 have fucntional Fixup for H323?  Currently the FWSM on the latest load is   not working so we are required to put in IP any/any rules
Is the VG248 product still supported under 7.1?It   is still supported
are the vg248s compatible with 7.1x?
btw 7845 H3 servers are not on the MCS data sheets, i dont think   they are going to be shipping H3 versions of the 7845, i was told it was only   I3 series
Are vg248s compatible with CUCM v.7.x?
Can the license file for UC 7 be uploaded to UC 6 prior to the   upgradeyou   cant
One of the listed hardware:  MCS-7835-H2 isn't that EOL/EOS?
i'm on 4.1 cm and want to do a fresh install of 7.x on new   hardware.  Don't want to do   upgrade.  from my understanding in 7.x   the device license unit count is different that the licensing on 4.x.  How do they convert my endpoint lic in 4.x   to dlu's in 7.x?If   you have UCSS contract you should be able to get like-like licenses for 7.0
Any enhancements on 7.x to determine if a phone is off hook when   called??
For migrations to 7.1x not following an upgrade path ie: new   hardware - what is the part number for the Software Feature Licence?
How do I check the status of the HD controller battery?
Just to put it out there as a cusomter, I've been less than   happy with the new DLU licensing scheme. We ran into issues upgrading from   4.x to 6.1(3) not all of our phones generated licenses and getting the   appropriate licenses has been less than easy.Jonathan   - I see you are a partner.  I   understand that the process for licensing is not as easy as it can be,   especially when preparing to complete a customer upgrade/install.  We are having UCSS/ESW/licensing training   for partners to help with the process
The slide does indicate that 6.1.2 is a direct upgrade, that was   incorrect?Please   Check the url,   http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/ccmcompmatr.html#wp83003
When you install to the Inactive Partition does it take a   snapshot of the DB so any changes made after that point will not be reflected   when you re-boot?It   wont be reflected, it pulls the DB while you upgrade it
Will software patches ever become a small patch file as opposed   to a a 2 GB file?  Downloading and   getting these files to remote CUCM's is more of a challenge with these 2 GB   files
Can you upgrade the subs all at the same time on the inactive   partition for inactive ?  How about for   active?you   can upgrade all the subs the same time and install it in the inactive   partition
Can i push phone idle screen to company logo?the   IDLE URL can point to an xml file or applications that can display the comany   logo.  If you mean the background   image, there is no way today to push images to phones.  The  end user controls the back ground image.
Sorry, I have been looking on the archive site and cannot find a   presentation on migrating from 4.x to 7.x.  Is there one available similar to this CUCM 7.1 Release Enhancements   & Migrations Pres?Look   at webcast 2 and 3.  Those will be the   most value.
What is the recommended reboot sequence if you run a cluster w/   devices registered to all subscribers, and can you do them all at one time?Pub   first and subs next based on your redindancy model to have least impact
and also receive credits to purchase the new DLU's. It has been   quite a "process" and I'm somewhat disappointed in the complication   involved for the customer.I   understand.  It is not a seamless   process.  Not even close.
Qn- regarding 12GB disk space on 5.x and 7.x upgrade
Can you migrate a phone from SCCP to SIP with the migration toolyes,   the migrate phone option allows you to migrate a SCCP to SIP phone.  This can also be done in the bulk admin   section.
Does having 12GB disk space with 7.x install have any impact on   7.x
We have WS-X6624-FXS in our 6509 switches. are they compatible   with 7.1
7975G phones
I have a customer who has 20000 phones on 5.x cluster and is   looking at upgrade to 7.x, is it best to recommend a restore as part of   upgrade
Is the 7.0 to 7.1 upgrade process similar to the SR upgrade   process in 7.0?
one of the slides mentioned that upgrading via sftp is faster   than using dvd media.  why is that?
what is the url to view the CM 5.X to 7.X webex?
What IPCC version is suppoted in ver 7?
i do not see it at   http://www.ciscoknowledgenetwork.com/uc/archives.php
will Unity 4.0(4) still be compatible with 7.1(3)
We are upgrading to both UCCM v7x and UCCX v7x.  We have UCCX/IPCC Express   -5.0(2)SR01_Build053.   Should we   upgrade UCCX to v7 first?
Is the CUCM versions jumping from 7.1.3 to 8 or will there be   more subversion within 7?
I have noticed forwarding of non-primary lines is still not   available. This was identified as a defect early in version 3/4. Is there any   plan to deliver the ability to forward non-primary lines any time soon?
Does Mobility Manager License get transfered to 7.x?
if we have CCX 5.0, do we need to upgrade that first?
What release of ICM is supported with CUCM 7.1(3)?
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: