Views
Helpful
Comments
cdnadmin
Level 11
Level 11
This document was generated from CDN thread

Created by: francisco javier hernandez reyes on 10-10-2008 02:02:14 PM
Hi, could somebody explain me what's the difference between a XML application and an advanced XML application?

By example, according to: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/products_category_buyers_guide.html#number_1

7975G telephones support XML applications, while 7965G support advanced applications. However 7975G supports more XML objects.

Subject: Re: XML applications Vs Advanced XML aaplications
Replied by: David Staudt on 10-10-2008 06:48:34 PM
The various phone models will differ in the XML services features they support, depending on hardware (touchscreen, color display, etc.)...but there is no categorization of 'regular' versus 'advanced' XML services.

Probably this is an oversight on the marketing page you link to.

Replied by: Stephan Steiner on 13-10-2008 08:55:26 AM
All the 79x1/2/5 models plus the 7970/71 run off the same firmware.. hence they have the same XML functionality (the 7921 being the exception to the rule).. minus of course whenever things depend on resolution and colors.
All those phones will also get the ability to run J2ME apps some time in the future.. maybe that's an advanced xml application and we don't know yet if those can really be run on all these phone types.. I'd be very surprised if the 7965 could do it but the 7975 not since those are from the same generation of phones.

Replied by: MARK KNEPPER on 27-10-2008 06:33:38 PM
I wonder if this may be in reference to a discovery I made while adding a service to CUCM 7. There is now a new option of "Service Category" with a drop-down box giving two options -- "XML Service" and "Java MIDlet". Perhaps Java MIDlet is an "Advanced" application? Anyone have further information on how to create MIDlet's?

Replied by: MARK KNEPPER on 27-10-2008 09:20:53 PM
In the absence of formal documentation, I did a little experimentation based on a tutorial for creating JAVA MIDlets.

http://today.java.net/pub/a/today/2005/02/09/j2me1.html?page=1

I am able to subscirbe to the service, but the service does not appear under my services button. However, I can assign it to a SURL button and then am able to execute it. Upon execution, it seems to run, however I get a blank service screen with the letters PK. Correct behavior is to display the date and time.

Replied by: Stephan Steiner on 29-10-2008 03:42:22 PM
The issue was recently brought up in the NetPro forum.. and somebody from Cisco responded that a documentation is forthcoming.. without it, I'm not sure if I'd bother to spend too much time.. it could well be that you need a newer firmware to get things working properly (and experience shows that it can well happen that you need to wait for a bunch of additional phone loads until things really worked as advertised.. that was my experience especially with the new features introduced with the 8.3.5 load).
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links