Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
Gjfoto
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone have any suggestions on which capture card to use that is recognized by Webex with Windows 10?

Thanks.

7 Comments
lfulgenzi
Level 7
Level 7

Are you asking about HDMI-to-USB capture cards? To be able to use HDMI output as a webcam?

I think, as long as the capture card uses native drivers, i.e. UVC compliant, then it should work no issues.

Personally, I have tried both the Inogeni HDMI-to-USB and the Elgato CamLink and both worked well. Although, I think my PC was not new enough to handle things as best they could. For the most part, I was trying to play a video out of an ipad with hdmi out, so, maybe not the best use case. I've tried with a camcorder and a desktop with more power and it worked brilliantly.

Gjfoto
Level 1
Level 1
Thanks for your reply, yes, that was what I was talking about. I just
purchased a capture card and hooked it up to a Panasonic camcorder to use
as a webcam. It works great!
lfulgenzi
Level 7
Level 7

Something to consider is whether your camcorder is "compatible" with live streaming. Compatible is in quotes, because it's not so much a compatibility issue as best practices. Elgato has a good article on this. 

https://help.elgato.com/hc/en-us/articles/360028243051-Cam-Link-4K-Is-Your-Camera-Compatible-

• Your camera needs to output video via an HDMI port. Most cameras have a mini or micro HDMI output jack.
  • You need to have a cable that connects your camera from the video output jack to a standard HDMI port.
  • Connect your camera to any HDTV or HDMI monitor. Check that the HDMI output is "clean" — meaning whether the extra information overlays can be disabled, Most likely you'll need to check with your camera's manual to find the menu item that turns off all overlays.
  • For DSLRs, check whether your camera can be operated continuously. Check with your camera's manual whether you can disable battery save mode. Some cameras also always power down after a set period of time of continuous operation, to safeguard the camera's sensor.
  • Can your camera be powered by an external power supply while outputting video, and while mounted on a tripod?

kebarrow
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ditto...

I’ve used a few with Canon and Sony cams without issue.

1- Eyesen 

2- Elgato HD60 S+
3- Digitnow 

are the brands that I have in use between Mac and PC. Some have hdmi out to display which you may want. 
Ymmv. 

hello @lfulgenzi , I have the same question & just to check if I understand correctly ... you have no problems getting an external camera via the Elgato camlink as webcam in the Webex app ? I am really on the (black friday) fence between a logitech 925e and the elgato camlink as they have the same price & I prefer my DSLR over the logitech   So thanks for your clarification! 

lfulgenzi
Level 7
Level 7

I think you'll find using an actual webcam for a webcam is much, much easier. You place it on the top of your monitor and you're done. Where as, using a capture card and camcorder/dslr/etc is a bit more involved. Better output, sure, but at what cost? both $ and complexity. That being said, I'd probably do the same thing!

As far as what I've tried, I've tried a Canon camcorder on a Inogeni HD2USB device. I used monitor output of one machine to the Elgato for feed into something. Both are easily recognized by software and a webcam. I found the Elgato experiment a bit wanting. Not sure if that's because I was feeding too much info into it from the PC, ie higher resolution it needed to scale. Output from a camcorder might be easier for it to handle. 

Please review the links above for more information about what you might need.

If it was me? And I had an amazon account - why not buy both and return what you don't end up using?

Lelio

willyamdc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle. I think it's not compatible with Webex. I'm using a Mac and a Sony DSLR HDMI camera. It work fine in Zoom, I can select the Blackmagic as a camera device. Not working with Skype or Webex, it's not even showing to select, only my laptop camera.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links