Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
david.sickle
Level 1
Level 1

Attempting to switch to updated version to address software bugs, however when trying to switch from the active to the inactive partition I receive that following output via CLI:

Waiting ........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Operation failed

ERROR: Sync after switch version failed

Version information:

Active Master Version: 9.1.1.20000-5

Inactive Master Version: 9.1.2.11900-12 Unrestricted

I haven't been able to find a solution yet, and I will mention that originally the inactive partition had an older version 8 installed.  Does the upgrade actually upgrade the inactive version?  I realize the new version is placed in the inactive partition when it completes prior to restarting.  Any help would greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

Comments
George Thomas
Level 10
Level 10

It looks like you are going from Restricted to Unrestricted version, is that what you were looking to do? Either ways, you might want to engage TAC to look at logs.

david.sickle
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks George, after pasting all of this and taking a moment, I now see that the vendor applied a restricted version perhaps.  Going to try uploading the restricted instead and see how that goes.

david.sickle
Level 1
Level 1

Unfortunately, now I can't seem to clear the unrestricted version out of the inactive partition.  It keeps hanging on to it.  Arghh

George Thomas
Level 10
Level 10
I would suggest you open a TAC case. I think there is a way to clean the inactive partition. There is a COP file on cisco.com which does jst that as well.
Jesse Baldwin
Level 1
Level 1

We had the same issue.  We were also on the Unrestricted version of Unity Connection.   After weeks and weeks of working with TAC we finally figured out that it is a replication issue.  Replication showed as a "2" but when switching versions it became out of sync.  I am not sure about your cluster set up but I would bring up this on your TAC case.  Below are the commands that I used to fix the issue with replication.  After replication was repaired the switch version via CLI worked.  I hope this helps.  

On Subscriber run – utils dbreplication stop  (here you have to wait some time once is finish wait for like 10 min.)

On  Publisher run – utils dbreplication stop  (here you have to wait some time once is finish wait for like 10 min.)

On Publisher run – utils dbreplication reset all

Reboot both servers using:  utils system restart

On the Subscriber  utils cuc cluster overwritedb   (here you also need to give it time)

david.sickle
Level 1
Level 1

Jesse,

Thanks, I have a ticket open with TAC and they have been troubleshooting for a while now.  Now they suggested simply moving to a more recent update/patch.  However, if this doesn't work I will definitely be trying your suggestion next.  This has been holding me up for weeks now to address an exchange mailbox size bug in the Unity Software.

R/

David

david.sickle
Level 1
Level 1

Unfortunately everything went well until the end when the db was being loaded:

06/23/2014 18:41:57 06_load-database|Depending on the server specifications and on the level of activity on the system, this may take up to an hour.|<LVL::Info>
[Fatal Error] :-1:-1: Premature end of file.

So, I have passed your information on to TAC and just waiting to make sure I don't mess up my cluster before running your commands.  Your commands are my only other option at this point since I have tried everything now.  Hopefully I'll get a green light to try this next.

Jesse Baldwin
Level 1
Level 1

The commands are what TAC had sent to me.  Ask your engineer if they recommend them as well.  Have them verify in the Install/Switch Version Logs.  Have them check for the most recent COP file is installed.  Both had led my engineer to determine it was a replication issue in my case.  If the Subscriber is not pulling the information from the Publisher then I would guess they will come to the same conclusion.  I hope this helps resolve your issue.  

david.sickle
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.  Ultimately had to build an upgraded 10 box and cobras everything over to get around the bugs.  Things are working once again :)

Ben Morgan
Level 3
Level 3

Hey Jesse,

That worked for me mate. Thanks for your post.

Ben

b.lierman
Level 1
Level 1

Just as a note the steps above fixed the "ERROR: Sync after switch version failed" error for me when trying to switch from 10.5.2 base to 10.5.2su2 and it failed. Everything was installed and upgraded using the restricted versions and this was a fresh install with what appeared to be good db replication. After using the above commands I was able to successfully switch versions. Not sure if it is just by luck or not but this is the first time I used PCD to install the unity connection cluster and also the first time I've hit this on a fresh install...

Cesar Ortega
Level 1
Level 1

These commands worked for me and and finally I was able to switch the version

Active Master Version: 10.5.2.10000-5
Inactive Master Version: 10.5.2.13900-12

Thank you!

UPDATE:

I talked to fast. Actually I'm hitting a bug:

CSCuy00023.

Bug Link: https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCuy00023/?reffering_site=dumpcr

This is what TAC recommends:

You will be requiring to install COP file for this but at later stage.

Link to download “ciscocm.cuc_upgrade_10.5.2su3.cop” COP file:

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?i=!y&mdfid=286268851&softwareid=282204704&release=COP-Files&os=

The correct procedure to upgrade CUC will be as follow:

1.       Since you have done the switch-version at Pub so would request you to roll-back.

2.       Disable SElinux at Pub and Sub by running “utils os secure permissive”.

3.       Upgrade Subscriver server.

4.       Initiate switch version from CLI: utils system switch-version on PUB, wait till Pub is up with all services running.

5.       Initiate switch version from CLI: utils system switch-version on SUB, wait till Sub is up with all services running.

6.       Install ciscocm.cuc_upgrade_10.5.2su3.cop in Publisher.

7.       Install ciscocm.cuc_upgrade_10.5.2su3.cop in Subscriber.

Hi Cesar, if I upgrade first the CUC Publisher without ciscocm.cuc_upgrade_10.5.2su3.cop. I need rollback to old version?

Because the subscriber I can't upgrade. I hope your comments.

Regards....

Cesar Ortega
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Enrique,

Yes, you definitely need to roll back on the version because you need to set utils os secure permissive before the update (this is critical).

Please follow the procedure as it is (The correct procedure to upgrade CUC will be as follow:...)

Regards,

Cesar

Hi Cesar,

Thanks for information but the upgrade was done good with the PUB update and after upgrade the SUB without ciscocm.cuc_upgrade_10.5.2su3.cop. in PUB.

Is very strange but after upgrade both server the replication continue good.

TUP
SERVER-NAME         IP ADDRESS        (msec)    DbMon?    QUEUE    Group ID       (RTMT) & Details
-----------         ----------        ------    -------   -----    -----------    ------------------
CUCPUB              XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX      0.014     Y/Y/Y     0        (g_2)          (2) Setup Completed
CUCSUB              XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX     6.711     Y/Y/Y     0        (g_4)          (2) Setup Completed

Thanks for your help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: