Views
Helpful
Comments
Gerson Fabian Morales Marin
Community Member

[toc:faq]

Change DNS IP Address on Call Manager Publisher 10.x

First Step on Call Manager CLI

In order to update the DNS's Ip adress in Call Manager 10.5 what needs to be done is to access the CLI connection of the Publisher and type the following command:

“set network dns primary/secondary <ip address>"

Second Step go to PLM

Go to  "Prime License Manager" and delete the instance associated with the Publisher.

After going into "PLM" go ahead and copy the information of the Publisher where you will be updating the DNS's Ip address and then click delete at the right side. After deleting it go back to CLI and apply the change. Note: A new "WARNING" will show up saying that "This will cause the system to temporarily lose network connectivity" please make sure to inform that to the customer before typing "y" which confirms the change. The best recommendation is to do it after business hours or in a maintenance windows.

After applying the new configuration, go back to "Prime License Manager" and click "Add" then copy the same information that you wrote in the Note Pad, make sure the customer is using the same password and username used to access CLI and click "Test connection" make sure to get a successful message at the top and press "OK". After doing that you will be back at the main screen of "PLM" then go and click "synchronize now" to get the instance for the Publisher back in Prime License Manager.

* That will complete the process of changing the DNS's Ip address on the Publisher *

Note: Repeat the process on the Subscriber if needed, take in mind that sometimes it will not be required to delete information in "PLM" for the Subscriber.

Summary steps

1- Type the command "set network dns x.x.x.x" on CLI; you have to have a primary IP address but you can also add a secondary IP in case you have a second dns server.

2- Go into PLM, copy the information for the CUCM pub and then delete the instance.

3- Make sure that the info on PLM has been saved and now feel free to type "Y" to apply the change.

4- After the change has been made go back to PLM and add the Publisher one more time using the same info saved on step 2.

5- Correct, if you only have one server on PLM you can ignore the rest. Just add the PUB and you will be fine.

regards,

Gerson Fabian Morales Marin (gersomor)

Comments
Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

thanks for sharing the DOC which has been asked number of times on Community[+5]

Can u please clarify what do u mean by

After going into "PLM" go ahead and copy the information of the Publisher where you will be updating the DNS's Ip address and then click delete at the right side. After deleting it go back to CLI and apply the change.

regds,

aman

Community Member

Hello Aman,

Thank you very much for reviewing the document, what I mean with copy the information of the publisher is that you will need to put it back in PLM after making the DNS change from the CLI.

Regards,

Gerson

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Gerson,

thanks for reply.

Which information u are refering  to Copy from the Publisher ? and then, also what u mean by Delete when u right click.

Please brief it.

regds,

aman

Community Member

Aman,

The information that you need to copy is basically the name of the PUB and IP address, then if you move the right in PLM you will find the option to delete it which is needed in order to change the DNS ip address from CLI. After doing that the information save ( Publisher name and Ip address) need to be added back to PLM.

1-Access PLM

2-Copy the name and Ip address of the Publisher in a notepad.

3-Delete the information from PLM which delete option is to the right.

4-Change the DNS ip address from CLI.

5-Add information back to PLM (Name and Ip address of the Publisher)

Regards,

Gerson

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

thanks for clearing the doubt[+5]

One last query:

Does this change actually requires creating a new Product Instance and asking for fresh license from Cisco as the warning message appears while changing DNS?

regds,

aman

Community Member

Aman,

Not at all as long as the only change made is in the DNS ip address everything will continue working as normal.

Regards,

Gerson

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

thanks a lot for clearing the doubt.

regds,

aman

Community Member

Aman,

You are so much welcome. Thank you.

Regards,

Gerson

shivkumar gadad
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Experts,

After the DNS update on the 10.x call manager Publ, Sub's does it required to reboot the whole cluster. ?

regards,

Shiv

Community Member

Hello Shiv,

It does, a reboot is required for the change to apply.

Regards,

Gerson

shivkumar gadad
Level 1
Level 1

thank you Gerson.

for unity connection 8.5 running on mcs 7845, if we update the dns ,

does license goes to grace period ? and does server require reboot ?

luis_Borja
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Gersomor,

a question, if I change the DNS on CUCM 10.5 , I need to do a license rehost???

Community Member

Hi Luis,

Thanks for checking, a license re-host would not be needed; this happens because we are removing the instance on PLM before proceeding with the DNS change. This is the reason why licenses should not be affected.

Issues might happen with platforms below CUCM version 8.6 as they use license Mac for licensing.

Regards,

Gerson

Community Member

Hello Shivkumar,

A license re-host is needed as platforms below 8.6 use license mac. Non reboot required.

Regards,

Gerson

luis_Borja
Level 1
Level 1

Gersomor,

I guess yes but, is the same if I dont have DNS on CUCM and I configure it??? its mean, at this moment I have not DNS configure in CUCM, if I configure it, I will not problem with license???

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: