Views
Helpful
Comments
Gerson Fabian Morales Marin
Community Member

[toc:faq]

Change DNS IP Address on Call Manager Publisher 10.x

First Step on Call Manager CLI

In order to update the DNS's Ip adress in Call Manager 10.5 what needs to be done is to access the CLI connection of the Publisher and type the following command:

“set network dns primary/secondary <ip address>"

Second Step go to PLM

Go to  "Prime License Manager" and delete the instance associated with the Publisher.

After going into "PLM" go ahead and copy the information of the Publisher where you will be updating the DNS's Ip address and then click delete at the right side. After deleting it go back to CLI and apply the change. Note: A new "WARNING" will show up saying that "This will cause the system to temporarily lose network connectivity" please make sure to inform that to the customer before typing "y" which confirms the change. The best recommendation is to do it after business hours or in a maintenance windows.

After applying the new configuration, go back to "Prime License Manager" and click "Add" then copy the same information that you wrote in the Note Pad, make sure the customer is using the same password and username used to access CLI and click "Test connection" make sure to get a successful message at the top and press "OK". After doing that you will be back at the main screen of "PLM" then go and click "synchronize now" to get the instance for the Publisher back in Prime License Manager.

* That will complete the process of changing the DNS's Ip address on the Publisher *

Note: Repeat the process on the Subscriber if needed, take in mind that sometimes it will not be required to delete information in "PLM" for the Subscriber.

Summary steps

1- Type the command "set network dns x.x.x.x" on CLI; you have to have a primary IP address but you can also add a secondary IP in case you have a second dns server.

2- Go into PLM, copy the information for the CUCM pub and then delete the instance.

3- Make sure that the info on PLM has been saved and now feel free to type "Y" to apply the change.

4- After the change has been made go back to PLM and add the Publisher one more time using the same info saved on step 2.

5- Correct, if you only have one server on PLM you can ignore the rest. Just add the PUB and you will be fine.

regards,

Gerson Fabian Morales Marin (gersomor)

Comments
Community Member

Luis,

You should not have any problem.

luis_Borja
Level 1
Level 1

Gersomor,

thanks a lot for help and document.

j.rebmann
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Gerson,

it looks like removing CUCM from PLM is not required if changing only secondary DNS.

Also reboot seems not to be required.

Is there a recommendation to do it anyway?

admin:set network dns secondary 1.1.1.1
     ***   W A R N I N G   ***
This will cause the system to temporarily lose network connectivity

Continue (y/n)?n

Kind Regards,

Joerg

Excellent information. Thank you!

Just to make sure I have it:

1. Type the command in the CLI set network dns primary/secondary <ip address>" and enter, but don't type Y or N
  2. Go into PLM, copy the information for the CUCM pub and then delete the instance
  3. Then in CLI, type Y, see the warning and then Y again
  4. Go back into PLM, click Add, and add the publisher back
  5. Then...in our environment, I would do the same for the subscribers except that they are not listed in PLM so I would ignore those steps.

Do I have this correct?

luis_Borja
Level 1
Level 1

Hi shawn Smith,

yes you are right, but when I did it some time ago, and was not necessary go to PLM delete an add the CUCM again.

Community Member

Hello Shwan,

Thank you very much for checking the Doc.

1- Type the command "set network dns x.x.x.x" you have to have a primary IP address but you can also add a secondary IP in case you have a second dns server.

2- Go into PLM, copy the information for the CUCM pub and then delete the instance (Correct).

3-Make sure that the info on PLM has been saved and now feel free to type "Y" to apply the change.

4-After the change has been made go back to PLM and add the Publisher one more time using the same info saved on step 2.

5- Correct, if you only have one server on PLM you can ignore the rest. Just add the PUB and you will be fine.

regards,

Gerson Morales (gersomor)

cragcisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Gerson,

I am changing the following 5 parameters in my CUC HA Cluster (Ver 10.5.2)

1. Hostname

2. DNS Primary IP

3. DNS Secondary IP

4. DNS Domain name.

5. Changing the server name IP  to FQDN - System Setting > Cluster > Server Configuration.

Q.1 Do i need to Delete the instance from PLM?

Q.2 Is there any sequence in which this has to be changed.

Thanks.

Chin Jam
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks you for your post – it was very helpful to understand the steps

I do have a question with regards to changing both the primary and secondary DNS servers on CUCM cluster (2 nodes Publisher and Subscriber) version 11.5.

From what I understand, I would first need to access the CUCM Publisher node cli

1. Enter the following command:

set network dns primary X.X.X.X

1. Do not click ‘y’ to continue
  2. Access the Prime License Manager and click Product Instances. Copy the details of the CUCM instance and then delete it.
  3. Go back to the CUCM Publisher cli and click ‘y’ to continue (which applies the DNS change)
  4. A new "WARNING" will display stating "This will cause the system to temporarily lose network connectivity". Click ‘y’ to continue.

Here is where I am unsure:

Do I then enter the secondary DNS server in the CUCM Publisher cli using the command below:?

set network dns secondary X.X.X.X

1. Then go back and Access the Prime License Manager > Product Instances > Click Add > Enter the same information for the CUCM Publisher product instance?

Click ‘Test Connection’ to ensure it is successful and then click ‘Synchronize Now’?

A few questions

1. Is there any way to change both the primary and secondary DNS servers and apply both changes in one command?
  2. Once the DNS servers are changed on both the Publisher and subscriber, is a restart of the servers required? Or is a restart required as any stage in this process?

Thanks for any help with this.

Adam Hinchliff
Level 1
Level 1

What a confusing thread,

I don't understand why you need to touch PLM if you only want to change the primary and secondary DNS for the interface.

Simple scenario: 

Business has two new DNS servers

Current setup:

admin:show network eth0
Ethernet 0

DHCP : disabled Status : up
IP Address : 1xx.xx.1.x IP Mask : 255.255.255.000
Link Detected: yes Mode : Auto disabled, Full, 1000 Mbits/s
Duplicate IP : no

DNS
Primary : 1.1.1.1 Secondary : 2.2.2.2    ( I JUST WANT TO CHANGE THESE)
Options : timeout:5 attempts:2
Domain : adam.com.au
Gateway : 1xx.xx.1.1 on Ethernet 0

Are you saying we have to go and stuff around with PLM just to adjust the addresses? \

I would have thought you can just SSH to each box in the cluster, change the primary/secondary followed by a Tomcat service restart. 

Note - fake addresses used in example

Thanks

Adam

agrysha2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@Gerson Fabian Morales Marin There's no need to remove/re-add product instance on PLM, the warning is misleading. 

It's only present on Publisher and not on Subs and was removed starting from 11.5 as part of CSCuw92104. 

Also PLM guide states the occasions you need to remove/re-add product instance and this includes only change on IP address/hostname of this instance: 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/plm/11_5_1_SU5/userguide/CPLM_b_userguide_1151_SU5/CPLM_b_userguide_1151_SU5_chapter_0100.html?bookSearch=true 

Important 
If the hostname or IP address of the product instance changes, you need to delete the product instance from the Cisco Prime License Manager prior to changing the hostname/IP address. You then re-add it to the Cisco Prime License Manager once you have completed the hostname/IP address change.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: