Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In this video, I'll show you how to configure the user's photos in your LDAP server, using a 3rd party application called CodeTwo Active Directory Photos.

You can find the the tool I used here:
http://www.codetwo.com/freeware/active-directory-photos/?sts=4303&gclid=Cj0KEQjwwMi7BRDGptbvwOCDj8oBEiQAIALyDP_cq6CHrnSmknrttnLYyYirpqSdkJfIxU9bjKBBUv4aAh7P8P8HAQ

It has a FAQ and a manual, but it's quite intuitive and easy to use.

The requirements are here:
http://www.codetwo.com/freeware/active-directory-photos-version-history

In case the link breaks, or changes, you can just google "CodeTwo Active Directory Photos", you can also get to the requirements page from within the first link.

I use AD 2012 on my lab, and Exchange 2013.

Another option that can be used, but I personally don't like that much, is using adext (you can find references to it on google), this will add a Photo tab to your users in ADUC, the caveat, is you need to open each user to add the photo.

CodeTwo's product allows you to see ALL users in the OU, and it can bulk upload the pictures. As I show in the video, you can name the pictures with a pre-defined format like: firstname-lastname.jpg and it will map them automatically, you can use several other LDAP fields (like sAMAccountName).
It also helps you to resize the pictures on the fly as they're uploaded.

On Jabber, you really have to do nothing to get this to work, if you have the LDAP integration working (whether it's because the machine uses the SRVs to locate the LDAP/GC, configured a Directory Profile on CUCM, or the EDI config on jabber-config.xml), Jabber by default will try to pull the thumbnailPhoto attribute from LDAP for the users to show their picture.

The related documentation can be found here:

Contact Photo Formats and Dimensions
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/11_6/cjab_b_planning-guide-cisco-jabber-116/cjab_b_planning-guide-cisco-jabber-116_chapter_0110.html#CJAB_RF_C83A8EEE_00

Configure Photos
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/11_6/cjab_b_on-premises-deployment-ciscojabber-116/cjab_b_on-premises-deployment-ciscojabber-116_chapter_011.html#CJAB_RF_C273D123_00

Any questions, comment, etc. you can reach me at javalenc@cisco.com

5 Comments

Great topic Jaime!

Do you know if it's possible to use this procedure with OpenLDAP instead of AD?

Thank you.

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I don't have OpenLDAP to try any of that, but the documentation indicates you can point to the binary object in the .xml config when NOT using AD, I didn't have to do that as I'm using the default config which already points to thumbnailPhoto when using EDI.

Binary objects

Cisco Jabber retrieves the binary data for the photo from your database.

If you are using binary objects from Active Directory do not set BDIPhotoUriWithToken or PhotoUriWithToken.

To use this method to retrieve contact photos, specify the attribute that contains the binary data as the value of the BDIPhotoSource or PhotoSource parameter in the configuration. For example,
<BDIPhotoSource>jpegPhoto</BDIPhotoSource>
<PhotoSource>thumbnailPhoto</PhotoSource>

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/10_5/CJAB_BK_D6497E98_00_deployment-installation-guide-ciscojabber/CJAB_BK_D6497E98_00_deployment-installation-guide-ciscojabber_chapter_01011.html

Assuming OpenLDAP has an equivalent field to thumbnailPhoto, it *might* be possible to do so.

Ritesh Desai
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi Jaime,

Many thanks for post...

I saw your video and followed your configuration steps but no luck.

I'm using CUCM 11.0.1 SU3, IM&P 11.0.1SU1 & Jabber Client 11.5.x

In Code2 AD application uploaded photo against user. In AD under user properties, thumbnailPhoto attribute it shows me hexadecimal values (by default)

LDAP and CUCM is integrated using LDAP 389 protocol. I have GC configured in lab.

Jabber client is reset and log back in with user login credentials. No luck.

So, do I require additional configuration, like

1. On CUCM LDAP Directory settings, Do i need to add custom value "thumbnailPhoto" under Custom Attribute. because CUCM synchronizes only standard information except thumbnail. I tried and by adding custom field, I noticed, agent Login / Logout problems.

2. On IM & Presence, I modified Application > Client settings and entered thumbnailPhoto attribute under Photo. Though badluck.

3. I have not uploaded / edited jabber_config.xml file

I m in thought that till CUCM is not synchronizing thumbnailPhoto attribute and hence failing to see user photo being displayed in Jabber.

Please your feedbacks.

thanks & regards,

Ritesh Desai. 

Ritesh Desai
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi Jaime,

I dont see jabber-config.xml file under location "%appdata%\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber\CSF\Config"

regards,

Ritesh Desai.

Do I need to upload the jabber-config.xml file?

v12.5

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links