cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
mmendezv
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Introduction

This document aims to provide information about the different CUCM passwords and how to reset them.

CUCM passwords

During CUCM installation, you must specify the following user names and passwords:

•            • Application user name and password

• Administrator Account user name and password 

• Security password

Application password

It  is used for the login on Cisco Unified CM Administration, Cisco Unified  Serviceability, Cisco Unified Reporting pages and Real Time Monitoring  Tool.

The Application User name must  start with an alphabetic character, must be at least six characters  long and can contain alphanumeric characters, hyphens and underscores.

Administrator Account password

It  is used for the login on Cisco Unified OS Administration, Disaster  Recovery System pages and Command Line Interface  (CLI) login.

The  Administrator Account user name must start with an alphabetic  character, must be at least six characters long and can contain  alphanumeric characters, hyphens and underscores.

Security password

It  is used by the system to authorize communications between nodes. You  must ensure that this password is identical on all nodes in the cluster.

The Security password must be at least six characters long and can contain alphanumeric characters, hyphens, and underscores.

To create a strong password, follow these recommendations:

• Mix uppercase and lowercase letters.

• Mix letters and numbers.

• Include hyphens and underscores.

• Remember that longer passwords are stronger and more secure than shorter ones.

Reset Application password on CUCM 5

To change the Application password from CLI use the command:

utils reset_ui_administrator_password

Reset Administrator and Security passwords on CUCM 5

To change the Administrator and security passwords you can use the following CLI commands:

set password admin

set password security

Note To avoid losing communications between nodes, you  must change the  Security password on all nodes in a cluster and reboot  all of the  nodes.

The systems prompts you for the old and new passwords.

If  you do not remember the Administrator and/or Security passwords, you  can follow the bellow steps in order to reset the Administrator  password. This procedure can be done with CUCM 5, CUCM 6, CUCM 7 and  CUCM 8:

Step 1 Log in to the system with the following username and password:

•Username: pwrecovery

•Password: pwreset

The Welcome to admin password reset window displays.

Step 2 Press any key to continue.

Step 3 If you have a CD or DVD in the disk drive, remove it now.

Step 4 Press any key to continue.

The system tests to ensure that you have removed the CD or DVD from the disk drive.

Step 5 Insert a valid CD or DVD into the disk drive.

The system tests to ensure that you have inserted the disk.

Step 6 After the system verifies that you have inserted the disk, you get prompted to enter a new Administrator password.

Note The system resets the Administrator username to admin. If you want to set up a different Administrator username and password, use the CLI command set password

Step 7 Reenter the new password.

The  system checks the new password for strength. If the password does not  contain enough different characters, you get prompted to enter a new  password.

Step 8 After  the system verifies the strength of the new password, the password gets  reset, and you get prompted to press any key to exit the password reset  utility.

Note To  perform the password reset process, you must be connected to the   system through the system console, that is, you must have a keyboard  and  monitor connected to the server. You cannot reset a password when   connected to the system through a secure shell session.

Reset Application password on CUCM 6

Reset Administrator and Security passwords on CUCM 6

To change the Administrator password from CLI use the command:

set password admin

To change the Security password from CLI use the command:

set password user security

Note To  avoid losing communications between nodes, you  must change the  Security password on all nodes in a cluster and reboot  all of the  nodes.

These CLI commands will ask for the old password.

If you lose the Administrator password and/or security password, use the same procedure as for CUCM 5 to reset these passwords.

Reset Application password on CUCM 7

Reset Administrator and Security passwords on CUCM 7

set password user admin

set password user security

Note To  avoid losing communications between nodes, you  must change the  Security password on all nodes in a cluster and reboot  all of the  nodes.

These CLI commands will ask for the old password.

If you lose the Administrator password and/or Security password, use the same procedure as for CUCM 5 to reset these passwords.

Reset Application password on CUCM 8

Reset Administrator and Security passwords on CUCM 8

set password admin

set password security

Note To  avoid losing communications between nodes, you must change the Security  password on all nodes in a cluster and reboot all of the nodes.

If you lose the Administrator password or Security password, use the same procedure as for CUCM 5 to reset these passwords.

Comments
rmckerrall1
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone had an issue with the set password admin command not functioning? I am running CUCM 8.6.2 and the command does not seem to be available.

Thanks

jgorres
Level 1
Level 1

I believe in CUCM 8.6.2 the command to use is "set password user admin" and then press enter. You'll then be asked to enter the old and new password for the OS admin's account.

Wassim Aouadi
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks Justin

isaac mongae
Level 1
Level 1

The utils reset_ui_administrator_password, does it only change the web page password?

Nahassamad_2
Level 1
Level 1

The procedure decribes about the reset the Admin/Security password in step 5: Insert Valid CD or DVD. Which disk you are referring too.

mmendezv
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can use any data CD or DVD, as this is just to prove that you have physical access to the system.

You can refer to the following link for CUCM 9 ("Reset passwords" chapter):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/cucos/9_1_1/CUCM_BK_C5D96C80_00_cucm-os-admin-guide-91_chapter_010.pdf

Is it possible to change the passwords from the GUI ?

Terry Cheema
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Anthony you can change the application password from GUI as long as you are able to logon to the CUCM Administration GUI with right access.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Terry

Please rate helpful posts.

deutchoua
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, my CCM is BE 3000. There is not integrated CD/DVD on it.

How can i recover from admin OS and CCM admin account lost?

willy.konga
Community Member

Hello everybody. I have a problem to reset my administrator password using CD/DVD media. I follow procedure but when i insert a valid CD/DVD media i have this error : buffer I/O error on device sr0 logical block 0. Anybody can help me please ???

Excellent.. Thanks for this.. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: