cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments

This blog provides the list of Mandatory and Optional Architectural elements to support IP PSTN SIP Trunking in Enterprise network and at the Service provider end.

Enterprise Network Elements

Enterprise network includes the following Network Elements

• Enterprise OSS Elements
  • Enterprise Call control and Routing Elements
  • Enterprise Centralized Services Call processing element
  • Enterprise security FW
  • Enterprise Border Element SBC
  • Enterprise Security (outside FW)
  • Enterprise IP Network Element (CPE)

Service Provider Elements

Service Provider network includes the following

• Voice SIP Service Provider IP Network (PE)
  • Voice SIP Service Provider Border Element SBC
  • Voice Call control Softswitch
  • Voice SIP NMS/OSS

IP PSTN Network Architecture

This diagram includes the list of Mandatory and optional Architectural elements to support IP PSTN SIP Trunking in Enterprise network and at the Service provider end.

*Mandatory elements are highlighted in blue and Optional are highlighted in orange.

Mandatory Enterprise Customer Elements:

• Enterprise NMS / OSS Elements

Provide Monitoring, Alerting, Troubleshooting, Provisioning, Billing and Emergency Services Support.
ie Cisco Prime Collaboration etc

• Call Control and Routing Elements

Provide End User Device registration and call control, UC and Voice Services, internal and external call routing (Dial-plan Management).
100% Geographic redundancy and availability recommended.
ie CUCM

• Enterprise Border Element (SBC)

Provide normalisation of CUCM SIP Trunk supporting (SIP interworking), demarcation point [‘inside’ / ‘outside’] and topology hiding, call admission control, L5 L7 SIP validation. (2nd layer of enterprise security)
100% Geographic redundancy and availability, recommended minimum one per data-centre to support the required scalability and performance.
ie CUBE

• Enterprise Security Element (Outside Firewall)

Provide L2 L3 inspection and filtering providing: DoS protection, Privacy, Identity. (1st Layer of enterprise security).
100% Geographic redundancy and availability, recommended minimum one per data-centre to support the required scalability and performance.
ie Cisco ASA

• Enterprise IP Network Element (CPE)

Provide dedicated high availability dual IP connectivity to the SIP Trunk Service Provider service. (Trusted)
 ie Cisco ISR Router

• Enterprise Centralized Services Call Processing Element [ This is optional]

Provide centralized aggregation for core services, for example centralized voicemail or centralized IP PSTN access.
100% Geographic redundancy and availability recommended.
ie Soft switch

• Enterprise Load Sharing & Proxy Functional Element [ optional]

Provide SIP Proxy (CUSP) and load-sharing for multiple SIP trunk environments, for example deployments with multiple SBE (CUBE) elements due to scalability or redundancy requirements.
100% Geographic redundancy and availability recommended. Minimum one element per data-centre for redundancy, additional elements may be required to support scalability or performance requirements.
 ie CUSP

• Enterprise Security Element (Inside Firewall) [ optional]

Provide L2 L3 inspection and filtering providing: DoS protection, Privacy, Identity. (3rd Layer of enterprise security: Outside FW + CUBE SBC + Inside FW)
This provides an additional – optional - layer of security. I.e: typical DMZ approach.
Possibly required when the SIP Trunk IP Interface is shared with either WAN or Internet data traffic, where the SP Trunk is not trusted to be ‘clean’.
100% Geographic redundancy and availability, recommended minimum one per data-centre, scaled according to performance requirements.
ie Cisco ASA

Service Provider include the following Network Elements

• Service Provider Network Element (PE)

Provide dedicated high availability dual IP connectivity to the Enterprise customer network (Trusted).
Redundancy and availability should be handled by the SP.

• SP Border Element ie SBC

Provide normalisation of SIP Trunk supporting (SIP interworking), demarcation point [‘inside’ / ‘outside’] and topology hiding, call admission control, L5 L7 SIP validation.
ie CUBE

• SP Call Control Element - Softswitch

Call-control element and interconnect point to other SP networks (i.e VoIP and TDM)

• SP NMS / OSS Elements

Provide Monitoring, Alerting, Troubleshooting, Provisioning, Billing and Emergency Services Support to the SP.

• SP Security Element (Outside Firewall) [ optional]

Provide L2 L3 inspection and filtering providing: DoS protection, Privacy, Identity.

11 Comments
sneakywmns
Level 1
Level 1

It's a vry interesting subject by very specific and complex, thank you for your explains I think some people will be interest in that way. I thin you should post more pictures, it's more simple people to understand. 

medamhza1
Level 1
Level 1

I agree, more pictures could be very nice.

Regards

chrisjohn93
Level 1
Level 1

Its very interesting subject and you explain it very carefully, Because pictures are more effective then words. Thanks for sharing this information with us. this will really very helpful in an organizations like cisco, alturacs, avaya, Microsoft, etc.. to improve collaboration solutions.

Terry Cheema
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Lavanya nice work as usual +5.

-Terry

mutuellesante
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for sharing this information with us

splittie1
Level 1
Level 1

I feel it very easy t understand, but more pictures are always welcome for sure !

Thanks everyone for your comments and ratings. Really encouraging. I will share some more deployment examples with pictures. Thanks.

martinberard1
Level 1
Level 1

Good work, thanks for sharing.

In our customer setup we are facing Cisco Finesse Error, disturbing the Agent handling the Calls,

i request you to kindly help me out, in which community Forum, i can address the issue,

kindly help  me...

cogentanalytics
Level 1
Level 1

Cogent Analytics provides proven business management strategies and solutions to accomplish goals and overcome obstacles.

cogentanalytics
Level 1
Level 1

You  want to do business with him so you can proper maintain your business and developing your business status.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: