cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
Mohit Grover
Level 1
Level 1

# Migration from Unrestricted to Restricted CUCM Version #

Migration from the Unrestricted version to the Restricted version is NOT SUPPORTED.
After you install or upgrade to an Unrestricted release, you can never upgrade to a Restricted version.
You are not even allowed to fresh install a Restricted version on a system that contains an Unrestricted version

A DRS backup/restore is also not possible as the DRS file will be tagged as coming from an unrestricted deployment, and can only be restored on the same version of an unrestricted image. 
The only way to go from an unrestricted to a restricted version is to perform a fresh install of the restricted image from the same release you're running, and use the BAT export / import. 

-----  -----  -----  -----  -----  -----  -----  -----  -----

POSSIBLE SOLUTION: To change the Unrestricted to Restricted version, first check whether you have 'Restricted version in your inactive partition or not. (CLI: 'show version inactive')
If yes, then you need to switch the version to that inactive partition (Restricted) and upgrade again to the Restricted one with the correct media.
>
If you don't have any ‘Restricted’ version in ‘Inactive partition’ then the only option left is to rebuild the CUCM server’s

!! Snapshot_1, if you attempt to Fresh Install Restricted on Unrestricted System !!

!! Snapshot_2: Warning if upgrading from Restricted to Unrestricted !!
Migration from Unrestricted to Restricted CUCM Version

Q: How to determine if the version you are running is Restricted or Unrestricted ?

• The CLI/GUI will display the appropriate CUCM version with a suffix of "Unrestricted" or "UNRST"

GUI : Show Software page in OS Admin 
CLI : 'show active version' | 'show inactive version' | 'show status'

It also displays right after when you login into the CUCM GUI (Only if it's UNRESTRICTED)

----------------------  !! Add-on Licensing Query

Q: What would be the process to move the licenses from the current unrestricted system to the freshly built restricted system ? would I just need to generate a license request from PLM ?

• Yes, contact Cisco Licensing team, they will Re-host the licenses.

----------------------

FYI:

The main difference between Restricted & Unrestricted CUCM Version is that Signaling and media encryption is permanently disabled in the unrestricted version, but remains unchanged in the restricted version. 

No impact exists to other security features such as HTTP(s), SSH, password encryption and authentication (for example, SIP digest authentication), mechanisms used by unrestricted Unified CM clients such as JTAPI, TSP, encryption of SNMP traffic, encryption of data related to database that is done by using IPSEC and IMS on the server side. The communication between CTL client and provider remains encrypted.

Recommended Read: http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/CUCM_Upgrades_and_Migrations_FAQ

You may contact me at Mohit.Grover@cisco.com

Comments
Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Nice DOC[+5].

Hi Mohit,

Just a doubt in mind that we have been saying/reading that we cannot  migrate from UNRST to RST and even we cannot do fresh install of RST.

But you have mentioned that we can do fresh install of same RST version on UNRST version ,do we get some sort of warning while doing this or it simply proceeds.Please advise.

regds,

aman

Mohit Grover
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Aman,

Documentation says "you are not allowed to", it doesn't say "you can not" :)

I see a lot of cases where Customer's unknowingly upgraded from restricted to unrestricted version & later they got to know it.

Switch from Unrestricted Version to Restricted Version is officially unsupported, as the "Release Notes for Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 10.5(2)" document states:

"Be aware that after you install an unrestricted release, you can never upgrade to a restricted version. Youare not allowed to perform a fresh installation of a restricted version on a system that contains an unrestricted version"

>
Search for "Be aware that after you install an unrestricted release"

FYI: !! Please check the snapshots

!! Snapshot_1, if you attempt to Fresh Install Restricted on Unrestricted System !!
!! Snapshot_2: Warning if upgrading from Restricted to Unrestricted !!

HTH

tbergquist
Level 1
Level 1

Mohit,

Nice document.  Thanks for this.   Just wanted to add  to this and get your thoughts.  

Scenario:  Customer has accidentally upgraded to an unrestricted image but still has the Restricted Partition in tact.  Since the upgrade, there have been many phone moves/adds/changes.

Planning to use the Bulk Administration tool to export phones, etc first, then roll back, then upgrade again using the right image.  Once the cluster is back to the same version but using the Restricted image, I am planning to Import the configuration of the Phones using the bulk admin tools and the tar file I exported from the unrestricted version and select "Override the existing configuration"

This should allow me to get to the right version/image and restore the changes made since the errant upgrade.    

Your thoughts?

vipersl65
Level 4
Level 4

Mohit,

Great doc.  So, since this is a couple of years old, what happens now if I have a CUCM 9.1 Unrestricted and wants to upgrade/migrate to CUCM 11.5 Restricted on a new UCS server using PCD?

cameron snow
Community Member

i am in the exact same situation. how did you resolve this one?

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I was reseraching on the same question , while checking the PCD documentation the last mention about such a scenario in PCD release notes was for version 11.0 and as per it migration from unrestricted to restricted using PCD is not supported

Table 2 Supported Paths

From

To

Task Types Supported

Export Restricted (K9)

Export Restricted (K9)

Supported for Upgrade paths

Supported for Migration paths

Export Restricted (K9)

Export Unrestricted (XU)

Not supported for Upgrade paths

Export Unrestricted (XU)

Export Restricted (K9)

Not supported for Upgrade paths

Not supported for Migration paths

Export Unrestricted (XU)

Export Unrestricted (XU)

Supported for Upgrade paths

rsankhal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: