Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
Adnan Khan
Level 4
Level 4

Hi I need urgent help on once issue. I need to configure Multicast on my layer 2 and layer 3 switches for Voice Paging server. Singlewire paging server connected with core and end IP phone on layer 2 switches. I need to configure Multicast on layer 2 and layer 3 switches in order to receive voice broadcast on all phones in the group. My vlan for example in 10 all endpoints and paging server in different vlan on the Core.  Please let me know what will be the sample multicast configuration.

12 Comments
Muhammad Awais Khan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Adnan,

On layer 2 switch, if it is a Cisco then you don't need to configure any thing. For Layer 3 switch/Router, you have to enable IP Multicast on the device, then enable PIM on the Voice Vlan and Paging Server VLAN.

Sample Cofig at L3 Device:

ip multicast-routing

interface vlan x ( for Voice VLAN where end phones are there )

ip pim dense mode

interface vlan y ( paging server )

ip pim dense mode

Adnan Khan
Level 4
Level 4

Many thanks, Awais. Just one more thing. I have attached 2 diagrams with configs. One is with IGMP v3 . Please tell me which config is ok. Drawing 1 or 2 based on the scenario given. Really appreciate it if I get the confirmation or correction if required. Drawing 1Drawing 1Drawing 2Drawing 2

Muhammad Awais Khan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Drawing 1 will be working fine. We dont need to put IP IGMP Join group on the ports connected to IP Phones.

Adnan Khan
Level 4
Level 4

Many tha ks again i will update here after config one more thing. I put ip igmpv3 on svi is that ok or need to use v2 or if i configure v3 then source specific multicast is mandatory  to configure or drawing 1 config is fine?

Muhammad Awais Khan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You are right, sorry i missed that. IGMPv3 do require PIM SSM. Why you want to go with v3, igmpv2 should be working fine with you as it worked with me also for similar scenario. Can you please test and update here with igmpv2 ?

Adnan Khan
Level 4
Level 4

So you have implemented multicast for voice paging right?

So layer 2 switch config is fine only change in drawing 1 is remove igmpv3 from svi. 

Even if i need to configure igmpv3 the drawing 2 config is fine or config is not complete or wrong. Can u check and confirm. 

Muhammad Awais Khan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, i did with CUCM 10.x and Informcast. Worked fine with me with IGMPv2 config. I was having multiple Voice Vlans and paging server on seperate VLAN.

For IGMPv3, for drawing 2, you have to change PIM mode as mentioned in the documents. Further you need to find the mcast address so you can put in ip igmp join group. I never tried with v3 so cannot comment on it.

Adnan Khan
Level 4
Level 4

Many tha ks, gott it. For igmpv3 PIM MODE IN WHICH document ut refrering? If you can put config or igmpv3 as per my diagram and for MCast iP 232.x.x.10 that will be great. Also will update after implement.

Adnan Khan
Level 4
Level 4

Sory about that i missed ur last line abt igmp v3.

Muhammad Awais Khan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No problem, post your results for v2. We can then review v3 if really required

Adnan Khan
Level 4
Level 4

Thank you very much, Awais for your help. Tested the config and it was working.

Adnan Khan
Level 4
Level 4

Can anyone also add comments on how to configure the Paging server with IGMP v3 as given topology?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: