cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
TCC_2
Level 10
Level 10

Core Issue

If an outbound call fails to local numbers or any other number out of the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) gateway, it can be because the gateway sends a bearer capability with Unrestricted Digital. For example:

Bearer Capability i = 0x8890A3
Standard = CCITT
Transfer Capability = Unrestricted Digital
Transfer Mode = Circuit
Transfer Rate = 64 kbit/s
Channel ID i = 0xA9839F
Exclusive, Channel 31

Telco disconnects with the Cause i = 0x84EF - Protocol error; unspecified error message.

This capability is sent when the IP phone has video capability enabled. If Telco does not support this capability, the call is rejected.

Resolution

In order to resolve this issue, complete this configuration on the primary rate interface (PRI) voice-port, on the PSTN gateway:

voice-port x/y:z  bearer-cap 3100Hz

This changes the bearer capability in the setup message to 3100Hz (for voice).

Refer to IP Phone Call Failure with VT Advantage - Bearer Capability for more information on this issue.

Comments
mshamkumar
Level 1
Level 1

Here is the solution..

!--- This is an example of how to configure the bearer cap parameter 
!--- on a Cisco AS5300.

esc-5300-2(config)#voice-port 0:D
esc-5300-2(config-voiceport)#bearer-cap ?
  3100hz   enable 3100hz
  speech   enable speech
esc-5300-2(config-voiceport)#bearer-cap speech

!--- Sample output of the IOS configuration
!--- <some output omitted>.

!
voice-port 0:D
 bearer-cap Speech
rakesh_4404
Level 1
Level 1

This configuration was helpful especially when my Video Capable Cisco 8845 IP phones where failing with "Transfer Capability = Unrestricted Digital". I have added the command and it resolved the issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: