cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements

Community Helping Community

Transforming Collaboration Through Strategy and Architecture...the white paper (part two)

Views
Helpful
Comments
Cisco Employee

Back in the beginning of June, I wrote of the effort I was going through to get my upcoming white paper, 'Transforming Collaboration Through Strategy and Architecture' published.  Well, I am happy to report that it appears the end is near - a suprisingly (to me at least) 2.5 months since I penned the original draft.  I'm hopeful to have the final version of the paper available by early next week.

Overall, the paper has been getting a very favorable response internally at Cisco as well as from some select external reviewers.  And for those of you accustomed to the typical 'technology-heavy' white papers from Cisco, I think you will find this paper to be a refreshing departure with a business first, technology second narrative.

My aim is to get decision makers in organizations to start rethinking how collaboration technologies are evaluated, deployed and used within the enterprise.  If I were to summarize my thesis, it would be: Technology does not define collaboration, it is simply an enabler.  Focus on business first, technology second.

I am looking forward to getting this white paper in front of as many people as possible and thanks to the support of Cisco marketing, I should have plenty of opportunities.  In addition to getting multiple locations within Cisco.com to link directly to the paper, it will also be included in the assets featured in Cisco's upcoming Collaboration Launch event in the Fall.

Below is an additional preview passage (see my previous post for another excerpt) from the paper as food for thought.  Whether you agree or disagree, if it at least makes you think, then you will find the complete paper well worth the read.

Holistic Collaboration Architectures

Often the terms unified communications, Web 2.0/Enterprise 2.0, and social media are used interchangeably to describe collaboration. However, none of these terms is synonymous with collaboration, because each represents only a subset of the much broader spectrum. For enterprises to develop and embrace a comprehensive vision, they must make sure the evaluation process extends beyond unified communications or Web 2.0 and consider all collaborative capabilities.

Enterprise collaboration strategy and architecture, however, should not necessarily result in a roadmap for deploying every available collaborative capability. The evaluation process should lead to a collaboration strategy and architecture that are selective, consisting only of those capabilities that help meet identified business imperatives.

To continue the discussion, leave comments below and consider following me on twitter:  @JoeSMoran.

CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
FusionCharts will render here