cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Run into"Virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT is not supported on this platform"

wgebe
Level 1
Level 1

Unfortunately, CML2 no longer works. At least I again encounter the message "Virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT is not supported on this platform". I had it running in its entirety last week by turning off hyper-v and WSL.

9 Replies 9

Martin L
VIP
VIP

check Bios settings, check vm ware or vm player settings. you can enable "Virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT"  in both places bios and vm ware settings.  Bios must have it enabled before u can check vmware settings.

if that does not work, go to Cisco learning network and post your message in CML sub-forum.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

hayroi95
Level 1
Level 1

Last time, we faced this issue after installing the Docker Desktop software which is a virtualization software.

Solution: Turn off Virtual Machine Platform and Hyper-V.

Note that if there is a software causes this error, such as Docker Desktop that software might not work because it relies on the above settings.

Tutorial source if you don't know how to turn them off: https://mayviti.com/vmware-virtualized-intel-vt-xept-is-not-supported-pc-fixed/

I have tried the above, turning off "Virtual Machine Platform and Hyper-V", but still have the error "Virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT is not supported on this platform, etc."
I have no idea how to proceed to actually get the CML to work.
Thanks for any help.

Louey
Level 1
Level 1

I have exactly the same issue, I have disabled hyper-V, DeviceGuard, credentialGuard, VBS...but nothing works.

The only ooly solution for the moment is to change the host..if any other solution I would take with pleasure.

wfields52
Level 1
Level 1

I finally found a solution that works for me on the VMware site:
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2146361
I followed these steps:

"....

Steps to Disable Hyper-V:

Note:
It is recommended to take back up of your data and have system restore points as a safety measure. The following features would not work anymore once the Hyper-V is disabled
  • Credential Guard/Device Guard
  • Windows Sandbox
  • Virtual machine platform
  • WSL2
  • Hyper-V

Verify Virtualization-based Security (VBS) is Enabled/Not Enabled:

1. Open msinfo32/system information on Windows 10
      2. Under System Summary on the Right-hand page, scroll down to Virtualization-based Security and
          ensure the Value is set to Not enabled.
      3. If the value is set to enabled follow the steps given below according to disable Hyper-V.

1. Turn Off Hyper-V

1. Go to "Turn Windows features on or off"
  2. Make sure Hyper-v is not ticked.
  3. If it is Ticked, untick it and click "Ok".

2. Open command prompt window as an administrator   

1. Run “bcdedit /enum {current}”
  2. Note down the hypervisorlaunchtype in case this needs to be reverted
  3. Run “bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off” to disable hypervisor Close the command prompt after   executing the commands and restart the system.
We should be able to power on the Virtual Machine in Workstation now."

I did all this (hyper-v, vbs, credential-guard disabled) but still stuck on this issue from last summer.

The problem is that it was working on the same host before, when just after uninstalling workstation pro (free trial) and re-using workstation player this issue occured !

Finaly found a solution !! I did not have the value "LsaCfgFlags" in my regisrty key, so I had to create it after disabling Hyper-V and VBS and credential guard : follow this https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2146361

1. Run “bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off” to disable hypervisor Close the command prompt after executing the commands and restart the system.

2. Process to turn off virtualization-based Security:
    Below steps can be followed to turn off virtualization-based Security for Windows 10 Home & Pro:
    For Microsoft Windows 10 Pro & above:

Edit group policy (gpedit)
    Go to Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System
    Double Click on Device Guard on the right hand side to open.
    Double Click on "Turn On Virtualization Security" to open a new window
    It would be "Not Configured", Select "Disable" and click "Ok"
    Close the Group Policy Editor.
    Restart the system
    3.For Microsoft Windows 10 Home:
    Note: This procedure modifies the Windows registry. Before making any registry modifications, ensure that you have a current and valid backup of the registry and the virtual machine. For more information on backing up and restoring the registry, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base article 256986.

Open Registry Editor
    Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > DeviceGuard
    On the right-hand side, write a new key

1. a. Right Click > New > DWORD (32-bit) Value
  3. b. Name this Value "EnableVirtualizationBasedSecurity"
  4. By default, it should be 0, Double click, and confirm the value
  5. 4. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Lsa
  6. 5. On the right-hand side, write a new key
  7. a. Right Click > New > DWORD (32-bit) Value
  8. b. Name this Value "LsaCfgFlags"

By default, it should be 0, Double click, and confirm the value

Works like a charm, thanks!

lauhakming
Level 1
Level 1

I have ran into this problem too and wondering if the CPU compatibility is the issue and then resolve this by stopping Hyper-V etc by searching for information like those mentioned in kb link. I have drafted the my experience of installation in below link.

https://www.pjforce.com/company/56/49/view

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: