Views
Helpful
Replies

Ideas on the Blockquote style

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings to all,

After the new editor has been put in place, many things have improved considerably. Thanks for that!

One of the long-requested features is the quotation style, or "Blockquote", as the new editor calls it. I am extremely thankful it has been added, as quoting parts of previous replies is the cornerstone of responding. However, the visual style of the Blockquote is, in my opinion, visually too excessive. Consider the following example

Original statement 1

Paragraph 1, Line 1 of my answer
Paragraph 1, Line 2 of my answer

Paragraph 2, Line 1 of my answer
Paragraph 2, Line 2 of my answer

Original statement 2

Original statement 3

Compare this to:

Original statement 1

Paragraph 2, Line 1 of my answer
Paragraph 2, Line 2 of my answer

Original statement 2

Original statement 3

The Blockquote style eats up lots of space unnecessarily, is too obvious, and the resulting post interspersed with Blockquotes is hard to read.

In my opinion, there is no reason for the quotation font to be larger than usual text size, and it does not need to be enclosed in stylized block quotes just to highlight it is a quotation. During the time when the new Blockquote style was not yet available, many of us simply copied the original text and changed the color or set the font to italics, and for the most part, it served its purpose. The Blockquote style is to be used very often; therefore, it should not consume unnecessary space.

My personal suggestions to change the Blockquote style are:

• Keep the same font size as the usual text; do not make the text in the blockquote larger.
  • Remove the quotation marks from the Blockquote altogether.
  • Keep the background color of the quotation changed the way it is now (grey backround with darker stripe at the left); however, proportionally to the text font size decrease, the dark stripe may need to be thinner.
  • Do not indent the text from either left or right margin too much - otherwise, a larger quotation will result in many more lines than the original due to wrapping. Use as much width as possible.
  • Do not add too much vertical space before and after the Blockquote. Normal paragraph spacing rules should apply.

Any additional or contrary ideas, anyone?

Thank you!

Best regards,
Peter

6 Replies 6

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

+1.  I agree.

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Fully agree with you.

Any additional or contrary ideas, anyone?

I'm satisfied with formatting like the one used for  current <pre> but without those fancy colors used.

Cameron Wheeler
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Peter,

I completely agree with this. I'm working on modifying this, as well as some other styling items within the WYSIWYG editor, for an upcoming release.

Hi everyone,

Thanks all for the feedback and support!

I completely agree with this. I'm working on modifying this

Awesome, Cameron. Thank you very much! One additional comment to the list of suggestions I've posted earlier: Perhaps the background color of the Blockquote style should be more distinct than it is now. On my laptop screen, the difference between the greyish background of a normal post and a sligthly-more-greyish backround of the Blockquote style is almost unnoticeable. The Code Snippet style as shown by Dan above is a nice example of a non-intrusive yet visibly distinct style.

Thanks again!

Best regards,
Peter

Hi Cameron,

Any news on this? I am not rushing you - I just thought I would ask again, after all, it's been three months since I have started this discussion.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Peter

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi everyone,

I would like to revive this thread, getting back to the issue at hand: The visuals of the current Blockquote style would benefit from getting toned down. Alex, Monica, Cameron, are you around reading this?

Best regards,
Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links