Views
Helpful
Replies

<pre></pre> tags do NOT display text properly anymore

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi,

Many (hundreds) of post no longer display preformatted (i.e. between html <pre></pre> tags) properly when published - although the text DOES display properly when in edit mode.

This is how I found out - I happened to be looking at an old post reply of mine. What I saw was:

image.png

1. Text extends to the right, but NO slider at the bottom instead, text wraps!
  2.  Space characters do not have proper mono-spaced spacing, so the vertical bars that make up the table are not aligned

Now, if I edit the post, I see everything views as it should:

image.png

Now I COULD go through the many many posts I've posted with <pre></pre> blocks (that USED to work fine) and change them to <li-code lang="markup"></li-code> blocks (which is what is now used when you click theimage.pngInsert/Edit code sample icon,

BUT even that does NOT produce a suitable result, because it wraps text when it shouldn't.  When posting code sample, line wraps can create a whole new meaning to your post.

image.png

Conclusion

I've highlighted two major flaws in the new system

1. Text between <pre></pre> html tags should be treated a code block with slider bars for horizontal movement (with NO line wrap) and proper mon-spaced spacing for ALL characters, including the space character.
  2. Text between <li-code lang="markup"></li-code> html tags should be treated a code block with slider bars for horizontal movement (with NO line wrap)
  3. [2022.08.24 - I've also noticed that Italicised formatting (and possibly others) does not get honoured in preformatted - it used to]
RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.
3 Replies 3

Tyler Langston
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @RedNectar - thanks for raising this issue, I'll get it reported!

Hi @Tyler Langston ,

Could I ask you to bump this? Almost 4 months and no progress.

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Hi @RedNectar - I'm so sorry that I missed this notification (I've been doing a lot of board and category-level subscription testing in the past few months and my notification feed is a nightmare). 

The 'pre' issue is slated for fix in this month's release which should be around the 15th, barring something unusual happening. Thanks again for your detailed OP, and patience as dev worked on it!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links