cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements
Welcome to the new Cisco Support Community!
Views
Helpful
Replies
csco365798
Beginner

Rating posts

Hello,

I have been following the Netpro forum for a while now, reading posts for their excellent technical content, and appreciating the enormous effort everybody makes to explain issues, and to get problems resolved.

I understand that rating posts is supposed to be a way to quickly browse through the forums and find the right answers. I noticed, though, that some forum members explicitly ask people to rate their posts, almost regardless of the content. The idea seems to be to quickly catapult oneself to the top of the list, or maybe to use the rating system as a way to enhance one's resume. While this is, in my opinion, not only unfair to all other members (those who do not scream for points), it also makes the rating system rather unuseful, since the rating often does not make sense with regard to the content of the post. So my suggestion would be to either make it obligatory to rate all posts from everyone, or to leave it up to the original poster to rate a post. It should not be allowed to explicitly demand points.

This, of course, doesn't take away that the Netpro forum is definitely the place to be when you need quick answers from top experts !

Regards,

Jim

31 REPLIES 31
s.conway
Beginner

While I understand your concern, I feel differently about the 'please rate this post' comments.

I don't think that people are tryimg to boost their ratings. I think that it's just a reminder to the original poster to acknowledge the effort someone has taken to help solve that persons problem.

Also, I think that some people may have a signature that adds the comment to the end of their port.

Sean

Please rate this post :)

If posters should acknowledge someone?s effort, that should be the case for everybody, and not just for those who scream the loudest. It should then be a general requirement for using the forum. Otherwise it is simply unfair to all participants who are less prone to ego-tripping, and who just want to help...