cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Should Network Engineers be responsible for maintaining Linux Servers?

cajunsausage
Level 1
Level 1

My coworker and I wanted to start getting into Network Automation, so we asked our server guys for a virtual server to run Linux, where we can install and learn Ansible. After it was done, I thought they would just maintain it like all the others, but about a month ago, the Server Manager came up to me and asked if we had been patching and maintaining our Linux servers they had previously built for applications like our wireless controller and NAC, etc.. I didn't realize they weren't doing any of this.  Has anyone else run into this situation?  Is it normal for the Network Engineer to now also become responsible for the maintenance, backups and patching of the Linux server as well?  If it is normal, I'll shut-up and color, but I feel like I may have stepped into a grey area here and feeling a little irritated.  It is in my best interest to just do it, because it seems like they will not, but I have a feeling I might fly off the hook the next time they want a switch or device for connectivity to their servers.  Honestly, really just looking for some good advice from other Engineers.  Thanks 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

YES / NO, if your Server team does not have any tools to patch your requirement, then you are the owner to look out for any patches required based on the security practice.

we do manage a lot of Log Servers / Automation tools, so we do patch them regularly based on the requirement if the infrastructure team does not have the expertise to patch a Linux-based system and they only have tools to patch Windows only?

When you are patching make sure your tools work as expected, some patching systems required tools to be upgraded too.

In some organizations I worked both network/security/server come under one department, in some organizations, they are 3. so different roles.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

YES / NO, if your Server team does not have any tools to patch your requirement, then you are the owner to look out for any patches required based on the security practice.

we do manage a lot of Log Servers / Automation tools, so we do patch them regularly based on the requirement if the infrastructure team does not have the expertise to patch a Linux-based system and they only have tools to patch Windows only?

When you are patching make sure your tools work as expected, some patching systems required tools to be upgraded too.

In some organizations I worked both network/security/server come under one department, in some organizations, they are 3. so different roles.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you for your reply and advice.  I will get started on this now.  I was hoping not to sound like I was complaining too much, because I just didn't know.  In 20 years of IT, this is the first time, I've run into this and I appreciate your input.  

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@cajunsausage wrote:
Is it normal for the Network Engineer to now also become responsible for the maintenance, backups and patching of the Linux server as well?

Yes.  

If you manage this server, no one gets blamed if something should go wrong with it.  

cajunsausage
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you Leo for your response.  I definitely see the experience in your answer and completely understand now that this will go much smoother if I take over it and not have to worry about them screwing anything up.  Thank you and I appreciate it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links