Replies

CCNP Lab equipments, iOS image

SRO39
Level 1
Level 1

Hey everyone,

I have a home lab of:

-Two 2950, one 2960, two 3550 switches,

-Two 2811, one 2911, and one 1941 routers which I used for my CCNA studies and recently earned my certification. I'm now looking at going for CCNP. Any advise as far as lab equipments are concerned? 

I intend to add some two 3750 switches, one 1941 router, and one ASA 5506-X. 

I equally would like to upgrade my 2960-24TT-L switch to 15.0 iOS. It's currently running iOS 12.2(53) SE2. However, I'm wondering whether I have to pay in order to download and use iOS 15.0 from Cisco.

NOTE: I'm trying to have as much hands-on experience as possible given that I'm self-training because I can't afford to go for a classroom or instructor-led training. I found and find it cheaper and manageable by setting up a home-lab and training myself. 

2 Replies 2

Martin L
VIP
VIP

I usually recommend purchase  3750 X models switches with IOS 15.x but none routers for home lab. Routing can be done with GNS3 which can be connected to real Cisco switch.  Latest CCNP Enterprise exam , aka Core, has virtual gear expect one 9300 switch,  see

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/s/article/ccie-enterprise-infrastructure-equipment-and-software-list

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

dinns
Level 1
Level 1

Your 2811, one 2911, and one 1941 can still be use in your CCNP preparation. Most of the configuration to understand the basic principles of routing are still supported. As what have mentioned, you can use GSN3 from your pc/laptop and bridge it to real cisco devices. If money is not an issue, you can get CISCO VIRL and use this also for further studies in routing/switching and some automation topics. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: