cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Confirmation for low ratings

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This was discussed in the past but I want to bring it up to the table again because the current single-click systems leave too much chances for unintentional low rating that the is difficult to correct and it happens more and more often One users posted:

Oops...believe me, it was completely unintentional. The fact is that sometimes I don't get the rating buttons work for me and I don't know why. Those buttons are greyed out and don't respond to the clicks. Thats probably why I didn't rate those responses.

And I have more like that, another user believed that the rating was progressing and he could 'scale up' as the issue move to resolution.

The reasonable goal here: Make sure that people that low rates knows that their action has an impact to. In principle the rating warning should relate to the average of the individual (e.g. a '4' give given to an expert with an historical average of 4.9 is not the same as if given to someone that just  has 3.6, but to make things easier, I would be happy enough if ratings from 1 to 3 are to be confirmed with appropriate verbiage.

4 Replies 4

Daniel Bruhn
Level 8
Level 8

Paolo,

I'm not sure asking users to confirm ratings is a good user experience.  Adding additional clicks often causes frustration for users.  What if we gave users a 30 minute window to change their ratings?  This way if a user unintentionally rates a post they can make the appropriate change.

I'd like to hear others thoughts on this as well?

Cheers,

Dan

Cheers, Dan

I agree that asking a user "did you really mean to give this low rating" would not be a good user experience. I would like the possibility that a user might be able to edit/change a rating (perhaps for a limited time).

HTH

Rick

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH

Rick

Hi,

I would have to agree that adding extra prompts when rating a post/reply might actually have a negative effect on the ratings in general. I'm sure the people that come to the CSC regularly to ask questions and rate answer when appropriate will still continue to do so even if there is a prompt asking them to confirm their choice.

I do believe it might have a more negative effect on the cases where we are talking about a user that just registers to the forums to post a single question, gets answer to it and dissapear never to be heard of again

Most common thing (in my expirience) on the Security (Firewall/VPN) section of CSC is either that the correct reply gets a 5 stars or it doesnt get anything.

The idea of having a small window of time to adjust your rating would be a good thing for the cases where they actually made an error.

Would there also be a possibility for the user to change the status of an "Answered Question" back if he accidentaly clicked on the button?

- Jouni

Hi Dan,

since low rating (1 and 2 stars) are not common at all, and are supposed to be intentionally in express of complete dissatisfaction, I don't think that introducing a confirmation for these only would negatively impact any experience.

User would see a small windows that for example reminds that ratings cannot be changed, and should not be used as a mean of personal flaming or to express frustration for a problem that objectively, cannot solved.

That's all. Then if the user still wants to low rate, one additionla click would do it.

Quick Links