Views
Helpful
Replies

NetPro Etiquette

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

What is the general feeling about rating responses to threads to which you have not contributed?

Whilst browsing NetPro I often see some great responses with no rating. Is is acceptable for me to rate them to show their value or should this only be done by thread contributors?

(I would also be a fan of a -2 to +5 rating system as has been discussed on here previously).

33 Replies 33

Daniel Bruhn
Level 8
Level 8

Hi James,

You should absolutely rate valuable content even if you aren't the author of the conversation. This helps other members easily find the most valuable content and also recognizes the efforts of the members who authored the responses.

As for a -2 to +5 scale that would be very difficult to manage. Members could use the -2 maliciously to knock down another members status. It also discourages novice members from attempting to respond in fear of negative ratings. That isn't the type of environment we want to provide here. My suggestion is if the content isn't valuable then just don't rate it.

Cheers,

Dan Bruhn

NetPro Community Manager

Cheers, Dan

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have seen a number of post where the author post their problem(s), get solution(s) and then do a Houdini.

Some authors would post something like "Hey, it's working. Thanks." and that's it.

I don't want to be rude to anyone but sometimes I put a line in the bottom of my post of "please rate my post" or something ... I am, however, tempted to add " ... otherwise, you won't get another peep from me!"

Please rate if applicable ... He he he ...

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey James,

If you see an answer that you feel is worth rating then I would highly encourage you to go ahead and give it a nice rating. I have always tried to take a few minutes each week to rate and comment on excellent answers that I have read.

This is especially true when, as Leo nicely noted, the OP has not taken the time to thank and rate the NetPro who has helped them out.

Cheers!

Rob

PS: Dan, I'm still all for a 3 to 5 rating system :)

Rob is a prime example of this. I have always observed Rob rating other NetPros even if he has not participated in the conversation. Not only he rates he also puts a nice reply appreciating that NetPro.

Looking at Rob, even I started doing the same... :)

-> Sushil

Hi Sushil,

Thanks so much for your kind words my friend! It means a great deal to me :)

Keep up the great work!

Cheers!

Rob

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

More than half of my score comes from Rob.

Let us know when you are running for government so I can make my vote count.

THANKS ROB!!! :)

Hey Leo,

Your humor continues to brighten my days here @ NetPro! I know for a fact, that half of your "well deserved" points did NOT come from me. But hopefully I have caught some of your best answers and given them the rating they earned. The continued improvement here is due to people like you (and too many others to mention here)

Keep on Rockin!

Huff

PS: Congrats on your bright new Gold badge!

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thanks Rob!

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't know with the rest, but I am apprehensive responding to queries that the OP does not like (or expect) because 9 out of 10 the OP does not leave a score or even a "thank you".

It's just our good nature to help, I guess.

I put an answer in, whether I feel the OP will like it or not.

While the question comes from the single source that was motivated enough to ask, the answer will likely serve many more times the people who just search to see if their questions has already been asked.

Giving only sunshine & flowers answers doesn't serve the greater community; you gotta call a stupid idea a stupid idea ... it might save someone from walking down a seriously bad path.

You can sense, in many cases, when an OP is looking for validation of what they feel is a good idea (or at least acceptable idea - but it's really not, in any sense) ... in those cases, IMO, you have to lay it down hard to let them know how far outside the "best practices" envelope they are heading.

I don't chase ratings, I've never asked for a score; I answer when I believe I have helpful input (and will have time to follow-up if necessary).

It's not about the score, though there is an undeniable anticipation ...

paul.matthews
Level 5
Level 5

I will rate posts I have not contributed to. Sometimes I look down the list and see an interesting question with only one answer. I will click on it to see if I can help, and the one answer is bang on.

To say something else is wasting my typing, but I use it as a way of giving that post a thumbs up. If the OP sees a response, and sees someone else has already rated it, it gives them a little more confidence in the answer being suggested.

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi James,

Some thread starter don't bother to rate replies either the reply helps them or not. This could be ignorance of the rating or for a few they pretend to be ignorant - there's are people like that in the human race, doesn't know how to appreciate things.

I visit NetPro now and then and I have 3 objectives; to help others, to ask for help, to learn from others.

When I see an interesting topic I rate the response of other NetPro whether it rated before or not.

Sometimes I find thread starter question interesting and productive. For example, I'm using the same product/service as what the thread starter is using and he/she is having problem (I may not have a problem) but when the thread starter post a question from the other perspective, the response makes me realize I can optimize my setup. I wish Cisco allows us to rate the thread starter as well

Best wishes,

Dandy

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is it me or (maybe the meaning is lost in translation) do some of the people who post their issues or topics believe that the NetPro regulars are "expected" to solve their problems.  When we give them links and documents for them to read, understand and hopefully follow, they seem reluctant.  I've heard of spoon-feeding someone but this is too much. 

I don't think that expectation is restricted to netpro - it is the same across many forums across the internet, and numerous other places. I also see an expectation that people can provide answers to questions like "my network crashed last tuesday. I just switched it all off and back on and it worked. I need to know what the fault was and what we can do to stop it hapenning again"

"OK, tell me a little about your network"

"Why are you asking so many questions? I just want an answer"

Paul.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links