Views
Helpful
Replies

Netpro very slow

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Dan,

The site is very slow these days.  The main page (Cisco Support Community) loads fine, but it takes about 30 seconds to load a sub-forum.

Same thing when leaving a sup-forum to go up to Cisco Support Community page.

Also has any one else noticed this?

Thanks,

Reza

44 Replies 44

Hi Dan,

Sorry for cluttering the thread. It won't happen again! Even if you won't block me, I know the new site will!

When the new site was launched, and after I did some upgrades on my OS, I could slowly count up to 3 from the moment I clicked, say to some tab, to the moment the status bar of my browser was full. As I said at the beginning of this thread, I can now count up to 10. I have confirmed this with the network history of my system monitor. That is, when I click on a tab it takes 6 seconds for data to begin to arrive from your servers, plus 4 more seconds for the transfer to complete (10 seconds total). My RTT delay with your servers hasn't changed. That is:

--- cisco-support.hosted.jivesoftware.com ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 10 received, 0% packet loss, time 47198ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 188.682/197.023/205.698/4.786 ms
mkat@antiqua:~$ date
Tue Jan 12 02:04:45 EET 2010

I guess the delay that each member observes will depend on their location around the globe. When members complained about delays after you had opened the maintenance thread for the arrival of the IronPort community, I hadn't personally noticed a difference enough to make me dig into this further. I am not sure exactly when the latest delays I observed started. Maybe some day on the week after January 1st. In this case I didn't dig because you were already looking into this due to earlier complaints. When Reza started this thread I responded to only tell him to wait and avoid clicking again on a link if the delay looks like he hasn't clicked.

Kind Regards,

Maria

Just a clarification on the phrase "when I click on a tab it takes 6 seconds for data to begin to arrive from your servers". I observe an immediate response to the click, but the network data are less at this initial stage. The biggest part of the data arrives 5-6 seconds after the initial click.

I see sometimes things being a couple of seconds better or worse. It's not that consistent. Most of the time it's about 10. I know this number is round enough to sound fake, but this is what I see. I must say this is the delay when logged in. I am not sure what happens with Guest access.

Hi Maria,

You're going to give our IT team a run for their money   This is actually very helpful and will be shared.  If you see any other consistently slow areas of the site please post them.  After all this is a community so we welcome help.

Cheers,

Dan

Cheers, Dan

Hi Dan,

I am glad this was helpful. This is the first time I get into the delay details of a website because I am interested in it, and not to prove to a customer that our backbone didn't have routing issues! Your IT team has nothing to be afraid of. I am not the competitive type. If I find other issues, I will post them only if you assure me that people's money is not at risk!

Kind Regards,

Maria

p.s. Well, I cluttered the thread again. You should know by now, I just can't help myself sometimes! Yet another reason why your IT team has nothing to be afraid of!

Hi Dan,

Is CSC amazingly fast right now or is it my idea? If you keep it like this, the subject of the thread should change to "NetPro too fast"! What did you do? You do not really have to answer this (although I would be interested to be honest).

Kind Regards,

Maria

Hi Maria,

You're fast.  We released some new code 20 minutes ago to fix our performance issues.  You like it?

Cheers,

Dan

Cheers, Dan

Hi Dan,

I am absolutely excited about the site speed right now! One of the slowest things to do was to go to past discussions by clicking on 'Next' link at the Discussions tab. I can now go to Discussions that occurred 4 years ago in no time by successively clicking on the 'Next' link! The feeling is close to Discussions being stored on my notebook! Hope you and the developers have a good night out celebrating!

Kind Regards,

Maria

Hey Folks,

Just wanted to pass along a large Congratulations to Dan,Tim

and the whole Netpro team for this newest release

An amazing improvement to say the least! Thanks for

all your continuing hard word and support for the Community.

Cheers to all of you!!

Huff

Hi All,

Appreciate the kind words and Dan and I also appreciate your patience while we work through this.  It looks like the fix is working well so far and the site is a LOT closer to the performance we all want.  (Maria gets the speedy eye award: I think the release was only out a few minutes before she noticed and posted!)  We will continue to work on performance, but, as you all know well, incremental performance improvements are never ending tasks.  If you see any oddities or if performance drags in any particular spot, I trust you'll all ping us right away.

Jon also mentioned navigation.  As Dan noted, that's coming.   To be candid, getting the performance back up on two feet has been top job for all of us and now we can re-focus on all the other things we want to do to improve and promote the site.

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Tim and all,

I am quite sure I saw a maintenance page almost an hour before I posted (I lost a post because of this). It didn't take a long time for the site to be back online. I wouldn't post so quickly, but I saw Dan replying to me about some site code typos instead of updating this thread, so I took it as a confirmation that the procedure was over and Dan was very happy. Things were rather easy at the time, although it was between 3 and 4 am in my country, because the difference in performance was enough even for my tired eye. Today my eye feels challenged, although it's not so tired. Did you make further improvements or is it something I failed to notice the previous week? I think I see a difference in user experience (incremental loading of components), but others do not post to help me understand I am not dreaming (I guess the NetPro team can't post to say 'hey, site is faster now, did you notice?' ).

Maybe the site is so fast now, it can sometimes make me think it's even faster! My mouse cursor can practically dance around the site, while I have an RTT in the order of 200 ms and not the fastest hardware or broadband capacity on the market. It's good to hear that you intend to do further performance improvements, but I think you've reached a point were the user can't be sure if things are better or not (unless we have some online gamers among us playing with the site links)! I am not sure myself, but thought I would go ahead and ask, just in case you did make some change. In the case that you did, I think it would be a pitty to go unnoticed.

Kind Regards,
Maria

Ditto here!  Congratulations to the entire NetPro team for not resting on your laurels and constantly looking and listening for ways to improve the quality of this site!  

Dan / Tim + NetPro team

Really great job, site is so much faster now i'm having trouble keeping up

Jon

Maybe we should ask Dan/Tim if they can slow it a tad down too. 

leolaohoo wrote:

Maybe we should ask Dan/Tim if they can slow it a tad down too. 

Leo,

Be careful what you ask for.    I think we've proven that we CAN slow it down.  Seriously, I am glad we can joke a little bit about it now.  Thanks for all your support.

Tim

dbruhn wrote:

Hi Maria,

You're going to give our IT team a run for their money

Hey Dan,

HIRE HER!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links