Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Rating not reflecting reality

Don't know really where to post this so I just write it here...

Something's wrong with the rating :-)

I just got a +5 for an answer given (my answer was.... I don't understand your question, can you clarify?) haha... clearly not the most helpful answer... (although it was true and was an attempt to help in resolving the issue)...

Other times... I have responded many times to a single threat.. responding lots of questions... and not a single rate (or a poor 1 rated)....

I know we cannot really control this and not much we can do about it... but when I started posting I didn't notice this... until recently...

Anyways thank you... just want to share :-)

Federico.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

We had this discussion already, if you check down the threads.

The general consensus was like, "Rating is what it is, and take it like that".

Fine with me

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

We had this discussion already, if you check down the threads.

The general consensus was like, "Rating is what it is, and take it like that".

Fine with me

Fine with me too :-)

That's what I thought!

Federico.

Hi all,

This is a true word. You win some, then you lose some.

On the technical forums there are lots of -often new- users who do not seem to understand the rating system. An improvement over the old forum is that you can now hover over the user-id to see its posting history. If this does not include rated posts, you can consider that as a warning that your efforts may not be rewarded. It even seems that these users are getting less answers from any of the top posters.

To boycot them is one solution although it will be impossible to maintain this boycot with so many new and eager people looking for questions to answer. I guess we must give everyone a chance to get his or her problem resolved.

What I have seen also is people using a final sentence like "Please rate helpful posts." This may help to educate users but I hate to beg for points and I guess I am not the only one. Still I must admit to having used this strategy a few times. Perhaps it helps more when an outsider who is not contributing to the question posts a warning about rating or even rate a post because he/she think the poster deserves it. Sometimes I do this but in general I tend to keep it for the real sorrow-cases and I am not actively surveying for them.

There is an alternative which not many people seem to use. This consists of giving a humoristic reply to anyone who thanks you for solving his case but has forgotten to rate. Or one which clearly has gotten the right answer and never responds. (Yes, there really are this kind of dorks around.) What I generally use in such cases is: "Thank you for not rating." but perhaps someone else comes up with a better idea. When this does not help to bring the ratings more in line with reality, at least it can bring a bit more fun into the technical forums. We could also use a bigger set of emoticons.

I agree!

I don't like the legend ''rate this thread'' on all answers (even worst if it's not a good answer)! just begging for points (like the fact that you reply to a query deserves a 5+)!!!

For example....

I see many replies that say something like... please ask your sales representative for that, PLEASE RATE THIS THREAD!!!

But I definitely reply with ''please rate the thread if you found it helpful'' when I receive a reply that says ''thank you it works!" because many people (for whatever reason) don't rate even when they got the answer they were expecting...

Federico.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links