cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding a Finesse Secondary Node to an Existing First Node

jreitzes
Level 1
Level 1

We have a single Finesse First Node built in our lab and we want to add a Secondary Node.  How is that done?  Do we have to re-install the First Node completely, or can we make a change to the First Node, then add the Secondary Node?

7 Replies 7

geoff
Level 10
Level 10

When you installed the Finesse publisher it asked you if this was the first node in the Cluster and of course, you said yes. Now if you install/create a second Finesse server it's going to ask you the same question, and you would be tempted to saY "no". At which point it will ask you for the Publisher. It will also warn you that before you can proceed, the Publisher must know you are going to add a Sub; so go onto the Pub and tell it all about the Sub you want to add. Then go back to the installer and proceed. 

This is described in the install Guides. No big deal - you don't  have to lose what you have.

Regards,

Geoff

Geoff,

Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but during installation the Pub doesn't really care that you're adding a Sub. Once the Sub install is complete and you told it it's a Sub you then login to Finesse Admin and tell the Pub about the Sub in settings. The way you wrote makes it sound like you need to "prep" the Pub for the Sub. Again, I might be splitting hairs here.

david

Sorry David - spoke from memory, and it's not very reliable these days. You are correct - I gave the wrong impression.

Regards,

Geoff

Couple things here-

1) Like Geoff said - On Finesse Admin (Pub), you must define the Subscriber hostname in the cluster settings - otherwise PUB most likely would reject any connection requests coming from Sub during the installation.

2) in addition to point # 1, Finesse Pub MUST be fully IN_SERVICE - check its status through System Info API (http://x.x.x.x/finesse/api/SystemInfo)

If Finesse Pub is not in service - Sub installation will not continue and will keep redirecting you to fix the Publisher first before it can finish the installation.

Thanks everyone.  So just to make sure I've got the cadence right, this is what I believe we need to do:

1. Enter the Sub hostname/IP into Finesse Admin

2. Restart the Finesse Tomcat service on the Pub, confirm that the Pub is IN_SERVICE

3. Run the install on the Sub, indicating it's the Secondary Node and referencing the host/IP of the Pub in the install sequence.

That should do it, right?

Correct. I would just launch Finesse desktop on Pub, if you see the login screen that's another indication its in service (API check is more than enough though)

Thanks to all the contributors to this thread. Maybe the old grey matter is not so unreliable after all. 

Regards,

Geoff

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: