Views
Helpful
Replies

At what point are Calls abandoned counted

sarbarnes
Level 4
Level 4

Quick question.

In Call type reports when does a call count as Abandoned, is it after they have listed to an IVR Message, or is it from the point in which the caller gets ringing,

If it is from the point in which the caller gets ringing, then am I right in thinking if they get 10 seconds of ringing and a 20 second message, before it will be queued to a skill group/agent, then effectively if the call abandons half way through the message then the abandoned time will be 20seconds.

I appreciate that this is a basic question, however I would like to have it clarified as it makes a huge difference when reporting on Abandoned.

If there is something in the Cisco documentation that is writen in plain english that someone can point me to then please let me know.

Thanks Sarah

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sarah,

Yes, that call would show as Abandoned in Call Type. There are a couple ways to work with this in reporting:

1. Set one of the buckets (perhaps interval1) for the call type to the length of the welcome message. In reporting, you could potentially create a Filter Field of CallsAbandon-AbanInterval1.
  2. Simpler would be to set a new Call Type at the beginning of actual queuing. Then all calculations for Service Level, ASA, etc. are all accurate to times the agents actually have some influence on. Counters start over when a new Call Type is applied.

In my environment, I have set a Call Type naming standard that I find quite useful in enforcing consistency:

{locationname}.{type}.{description}

Where {locationname} is some short location code, and {type} is as follows:

• "DN" - All incoming DNs schedule to a DN call type, which I primarily use to get calls to a script and rarely report on. {description} for this will usually include the full dialed number and whatever name I can fit.
  • "M" - For Menus or Messages that I want to report on. So for example I might set "UK_WO.M.Holiday" for calls that arrive during a holiday where we are closed, and "UK_WO.M.2.InsideSales" for when the caller presses 2 at the main menu.
  • "Q" - Queuing. I only apply "Q" call types at the beginning of a queue, right before whatever Queue or Select node I may be using. All data in Q call types has times specific to the queue.
  • "VM" - Voicemail. Applied any time I'm about to send to a label that routes to a voicemail box.
  • "XT" - A lot like a "DN" call type, but specifically for transfers - team to team or agent to agent.

So throughout a call, I may set 4 or more Call Types at different times, or in simpler setups I may only set 2... but at a minimum the call is arriving originally into a "DN" call type, and then a "Q" call type if it's during open hours. With using differently named call types for different purposes, reporting can become a bit simpler. I've seen a vast improvement in usability and reduction in questions about call types since implementing the above scheme.

-Jameson

-Jameson

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Sarah,

Abandoned is counted any time a caller hangs up without routing to an agent. There is also "Abandon Ring", which is when the caller hangs up while an agent's phone is ringing.

All times in Call Type reporting are time since the Call Type was applied. Typically I see call types applied at the beginning of a queue - so when looking at Answer/Abandon interval reporting, I can see how many callers answer or abandon after a certain amount of time in queue.

The document "Database Schema Guide for Cisco Unified Contact Center Enterprise" is an awesome resource. I would never try to read it all the way through (it's over 700 pages), but if I'm ever looking for a term definition or table column descriptions, it's the first place I look.

-Jameson

-Jameson

Thanks Jameson,

I use the Database Schema all the time and I also use the Call Type Ans/Abandoned report.

What I am trying to understand is if you look at a call entering a Script, and the customer is played a welcome message and puts the phone down during this message - does this show as Abandoned in Call Type - if yes - then as that call can never have been answered then it shouldn't count as being abandoned.

If this is the case then I will need to reset the customers expectation so that they don't count those calls.

In this particular case the customer welcome message is 40 seconds long and obviously this is causing a lot of concern.

Thanks Sarah

Sarah,

Yes, that call would show as Abandoned in Call Type. There are a couple ways to work with this in reporting:

1. Set one of the buckets (perhaps interval1) for the call type to the length of the welcome message. In reporting, you could potentially create a Filter Field of CallsAbandon-AbanInterval1.
  2. Simpler would be to set a new Call Type at the beginning of actual queuing. Then all calculations for Service Level, ASA, etc. are all accurate to times the agents actually have some influence on. Counters start over when a new Call Type is applied.

In my environment, I have set a Call Type naming standard that I find quite useful in enforcing consistency:

{locationname}.{type}.{description}

Where {locationname} is some short location code, and {type} is as follows:

• "DN" - All incoming DNs schedule to a DN call type, which I primarily use to get calls to a script and rarely report on. {description} for this will usually include the full dialed number and whatever name I can fit.
  • "M" - For Menus or Messages that I want to report on. So for example I might set "UK_WO.M.Holiday" for calls that arrive during a holiday where we are closed, and "UK_WO.M.2.InsideSales" for when the caller presses 2 at the main menu.
  • "Q" - Queuing. I only apply "Q" call types at the beginning of a queue, right before whatever Queue or Select node I may be using. All data in Q call types has times specific to the queue.
  • "VM" - Voicemail. Applied any time I'm about to send to a label that routes to a voicemail box.
  • "XT" - A lot like a "DN" call type, but specifically for transfers - team to team or agent to agent.

So throughout a call, I may set 4 or more Call Types at different times, or in simpler setups I may only set 2... but at a minimum the call is arriving originally into a "DN" call type, and then a "Q" call type if it's during open hours. With using differently named call types for different purposes, reporting can become a bit simpler. I've seen a vast improvement in usability and reduction in questions about call types since implementing the above scheme.

-Jameson

-Jameson
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: