cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CAD & Java 6

joe.conger
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking for assistance on getting the current Java 6 update 65 for our Windows CAD Agents.  Right now our older Java 6 Update 51 fails our desktop security scans.  Can anyone tell me where to get the most current JAVA JRE 6 update 65

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

From my experience as a consultant, telecom people don't know to stay up to date on major patches (SU1, SU2, etc.) let alone all of the security vulnerabilities that come out.  And most company's information protection department, if they even have one, don't even know that this telecom software requires java, let alone the version of it.  Maybe if you're lucky, the security team will run an audit on all PC's in the network to scan for vulnerabilities, which it sounds like your company has done. I'm not saying it's not happening, I'm saying asking telecom admins is a real shot in the dark.

Good luck Joe, and do post back what you learn for the benefit of all of us vulnerable CAD users.

Anthony Holloway

Please use the star ratings to help drive great content to the top of searches.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javasebusiness/downloads/java-archive-downloads-javase6-419409.html

I only see a 1.6.0_45 on the java site and the UCCX compatibility guide only mentions as high as 1.6.0_20.

At any rate, you will need to sign up for an account on the java site.  This is a requirement to get into the archival downloads section for developers only.  Its free though, so just go do it.  Also, I though CAD installed it's own java version?

If you are on Win7 you can do a "where java" on the command line and see if the CAD folder shows up.  Otherwise, you can just browse the CAD folder for a java.exe.

I'll install CAD really qiuck on my machine and see for myself.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just installed CAD and it did not come with its own Java.  The Editor does however.

Anthony Holloway

Java 6 went end-of-life this year.  They are still updating the client but it is not available to the public. 6u45 was the last public available version.  Version 6u65 addresses the known critical security vulnerabilities that my desktop security scanners identified.

If they are not releasing to the public, then how do you imagine anyone on here can help you obtain it?

Anthony Holloway

I know a lot people call me crazy but I thought it would be a good question to ask other CAD uers their approach to addressing a critical security vulnerabilities associated with the UCCX requirement to run Java 6 that is end of life.  I'm using the lastest and greatest UCCX version and it requires an EOL Java product.  Now that makes a lot of sense especially from a security/technology company like Cisco.

From my experience as a consultant, telecom people don't know to stay up to date on major patches (SU1, SU2, etc.) let alone all of the security vulnerabilities that come out.  And most company's information protection department, if they even have one, don't even know that this telecom software requires java, let alone the version of it.  Maybe if you're lucky, the security team will run an audit on all PC's in the network to scan for vulnerabilities, which it sounds like your company has done. I'm not saying it's not happening, I'm saying asking telecom admins is a real shot in the dark.

Good luck Joe, and do post back what you learn for the benefit of all of us vulnerable CAD users.

Anthony Holloway

Mabe this will explain my dilema.  Small company = My roles include PCI Security Analyst and Network / Telephony administratrator.  My PCI role requires me to patch it.  The Network Admin role requires me to make everything work.  I'm going to try Java 7 which appears to work but is an unsupported configuration according to the UCCX compatability matrix.

Hi Joe,

Please note that the client side JRE is only required if the agents are using either the Agent E-Mail or CAD-BE.  If neither of those features are being used, then no JRE is necessary.

Yes, the JRE situation has been extremely challenging over the past year.   Unfortunately, the 9.0 system is not is a position to move to the 1.7 builds.  That build will be in the forthcoming UCCX 10.0 release. 

Regards,

Tom

Tom, Thanks for the help....Joe

sonika
Level 1
Level 1

Great! thanks for sharing, Java has come a long way and is widely known for its implementation and strategic development. Android development has progressed to new heights on the back of Java, which is an achievement of its own. Java libraries, frameworks, makes Java easily readable on all the platforms it is running on. Also, Java Virtual Machine is the core concept of the high-level programming language that executes, loads, and verifies Java code. Java, developers have everything at their fingertips that they need to build web applications and software solutions. Java Course in Pune

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: