cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Call Peripheral Variables

Joe Bohelski
Level 1
Level 1

I have a script that uses the Desktop Administrator Call Variables 1 through 7 that are in the Enterprise Data section.  These fields are used for reporting against this script.  I now have a request to add some call variables in another script to report against this one as well.  Since it doesn't look like I can actually create more than the 10 Call Variables that are available in the Desktop Administrator, and because the stock variables are the only ones available in the set enterprise call info step, if I use the 10 call variables for this second script, will it mess up the reports for the other script if I use the same call variables but with different values in the second script?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Gergely Szabo
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

call variables are tied to the call. Meaning a call variable set for call A will not appear in a report that contains call B.

If we are talking about the structure of the report, then the answer is - maybe. After all, the value of a call variable is always a piece of text, a string of bytes. So unless you keep the purpose of the call variable aligned, then the report should be still readable.

For instance, if you set callvariable1 something as date and time for type A calls but you use callvariable1 to hold a number for type B calls, then yes, the report would look ugly. If you try to keep the oranges separate from apples, the report should not be that ugly.

G.

View solution in original post

Hi Joe-

To add to Gergely response to make the report less confusing you could filter the report by the Application(s) the calls came into.  

So, if you end up with five scripts and applications that all use Call Peripheral Variable 1 for Customer ID and Call Peripheral Variable 2 for Option Selected those applications could be grouped into one report.  Then if you had three other scripts and applications that use Call Peripheral Variable 1 for Caller City and Call Peripheral Variable 2 for Caller State as another group.

Also- In the Call Peripheral Variables you have six possible tokens for each variable you can use (0-5, default is 'all') which you can use to pack additional data into.  In your report they will be pipe (|) delimited within each Call Peripheral Variable.

DJ

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Gergely Szabo
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

call variables are tied to the call. Meaning a call variable set for call A will not appear in a report that contains call B.

If we are talking about the structure of the report, then the answer is - maybe. After all, the value of a call variable is always a piece of text, a string of bytes. So unless you keep the purpose of the call variable aligned, then the report should be still readable.

For instance, if you set callvariable1 something as date and time for type A calls but you use callvariable1 to hold a number for type B calls, then yes, the report would look ugly. If you try to keep the oranges separate from apples, the report should not be that ugly.

G.

Hi Joe-

To add to Gergely response to make the report less confusing you could filter the report by the Application(s) the calls came into.  

So, if you end up with five scripts and applications that all use Call Peripheral Variable 1 for Customer ID and Call Peripheral Variable 2 for Option Selected those applications could be grouped into one report.  Then if you had three other scripts and applications that use Call Peripheral Variable 1 for Caller City and Call Peripheral Variable 2 for Caller State as another group.

Also- In the Call Peripheral Variables you have six possible tokens for each variable you can use (0-5, default is 'all') which you can use to pack additional data into.  In your report they will be pipe (|) delimited within each Call Peripheral Variable.

DJ

Joe Bohelski
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Gergely and djlundberg,

Thanks very much for your replies.  They're both exactly what I was looking for!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: