cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Caller enters a 5 digit number and IVR sends it to external web service

richardbaini1
Level 1
Level 1

I need to create and IVR where the caller is prompt to enter a 5 digits code, I assume using 'get digit string'.

My issue is that this code has to be sent to a web service server that will handle a popup to show info about the caller based on that code (that part is the web server problem).

How to send this code to that server using web services?

5 Replies 5

Sean Lynch
Level 7
Level 7
Use a "Make REST Call" Get/Post step (if you are using UCCX)...

-Sean

can you provide some samples?

my issue is that i need to input 5 digits number as a prompt... and send it back to a webserver using webservices...

If you use a "Get Digit String" step, the system will return the 'digits' as a variable of type STRING. I'm not sure I follow what you need to send to the web service. You want to send a prompt that plays the words of the digits? ("One" "Two" "Three" "Four" Five")? If you are trying to create a DTMF prompt that you can send to the web service, you've got me perplexed. Not sure if that can even be done.
You should be able to use a "Create URL Document" (GET or POST) or use a "Make REST Call" step (secure, GET/POST) to communicate to a web service. This is normally how you send data a web service.
I'm just curious about the "prompt" data type you are trying to use. Typically, you send a data with a variable set type expected by a web service, such a series of variables of type "STRING." I've never seen one use a media prompt. Interesting requirement, to say the least.

-Sean

Thank you Sean for the details.

In details, what I want is the below:

the caller will dial the company, IVR will respond and press 1 for english, then 'enter your registration number', here the caller enters 5 digits.

these 5 digits will be sent to the webservice server (name it 'WSERVER')as a string. the 'WSERVER' will then search in its database for the info about this registration number... here it is the software problem not cisco's.

my problem is: after get string accepts the 5 digits... how to write the script to send this string to the webserver as a url?

Hi Richard,

To answer your question "how to write the script to send this string to the webserver as a url?". I think Sean has already explained you would normally use the steps "Create URL Document" or "Make REST Call" to build the URL that you would POST to the webserver.

I would suggest working backwards. Speak to the team who look after this webserver and ask them to provide the format of the URL they expect to see. Find out if you need any authentication to be sent to all this to work. I would then use a tool like POSTMAN to test that it works before trying to get it working in the script. Once you are happy it is working in POSTMAN, you can then start to build it into the script using the variables from the "Get Digit String" and how you are going to deal with the response.