Helpful
Replies

Cannot turn off Central Controller B

justine.joubran
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have the following issue:

When I turn off Central Controler B, CG1A and CTIOS1 on sideA are IDLE.

When I turn on Router B and Logger B, they become ACTIVE and agents can login normally.

What could be the problem?

Thanks,

Justine.

5 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

shirpati
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ccagent process on the PG will maintain an Active connection with one  side of the central controller and an idle connection with other side  of the central controller.

It looks like your PG's have a problem to failover to A  side central controller when  B side is turned off. Either of your PG is not able to establish an active connection with A side central controller hence the  CG's  see that the Central controller as Offline and not able to go active. When B side is turned ON PG A establish an Active  connection with  central controller B so the ctisvr and ctios on A side seems to go active.

When B side router is off check  the health of your A side central controller specially the mds is inservice and able to see all the PG's

Check your pgagent process on the PG's to see if they are able to establish proper connection with the central controllers, when B is turned off check if PG's realign with A side central controller.

Hope this helps to isolate the issue.

Shirish.

View solution in original post

ccagent process on the PG

ccagent was a typo it is pgagent process on the PG and ccagent on the router.

spaulin
Level 1
Level 1

Shirish is on the right track...

In order for CallRouterA to remain running in simplex mode, it must maintain a connection to AT LEAST HALF of the PGs enabled in router setup.  Check the sideA ccag process' console window title bar to see how many are actually connected/enabled. 

SideB of the CC would need at least HALF+ONE of the PGs to connect to it and all say sideA is unavailable, before IT would run simplex.

When the routers are actively duplexed (sideA's MDS PR-ENB, sideB PR-DIS), you don't really need any PGs to remain connected in order for them to run.  So if, for example you only have one PG connected when the CCs are running duplex, it's no problem.  But if you stop sideB, callrouterA would only have 1 of 3 PGs connected which is not at least half, so it will go idle.

Let me understand the hardware involved.

It's perfectly acceptable to have both of these PGs (the generic one with the CUCM PIM and the two VRU PIMs; and the MR PG with - guessing - a single PIM) installed on the one box. If that is so, it's trivial to duplex the MR PG on your existing h/w and you are done.

If you have three boxes, you would need to either get another box for MR PGB, or move the MR PGs onto the same boxes as the generic PG and repurpose that 3rd box.

Regards,

Geoff

If we install a duplexed PG (VRU and CM) as in this case, it is no longer possible to install the Outbound Option on only one side? It is mandatory to have it duplexed?

Justine,

Now I understand what you have done, and why you did not duplex the MR PG for the Dialer.

You have actually misinterpreted the architecture. The "Outbound" part of the Logger is only on side A - that's where the campaign manager, import process and the ba database live. Not replicated on side B!

But this does NOT apply to your MR PG. You should make it duplexed.

Regards,

Geoff

9 Replies 9

shirpati
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ccagent process on the PG will maintain an Active connection with one  side of the central controller and an idle connection with other side  of the central controller.

It looks like your PG's have a problem to failover to A  side central controller when  B side is turned off. Either of your PG is not able to establish an active connection with A side central controller hence the  CG's  see that the Central controller as Offline and not able to go active. When B side is turned ON PG A establish an Active  connection with  central controller B so the ctisvr and ctios on A side seems to go active.

When B side router is off check  the health of your A side central controller specially the mds is inservice and able to see all the PG's

Check your pgagent process on the PG's to see if they are able to establish proper connection with the central controllers, when B is turned off check if PG's realign with A side central controller.

Hope this helps to isolate the issue.

Shirish.

ccagent process on the PG

ccagent was a typo it is pgagent process on the PG and ccagent on the router.

Hello Shirish,

You are right. The problem is that ccagent process is not able to establish a connection with Central Controller A (when CCB is offline). When CCB is ON again, ccagent and pgagent are in service and all the rest of the processes become ACTIVE.

The ccagent process displays the message "The connection has been closed by the remote process"

What configuration should I check next?

Thanks,

Justine.

The easiest is to re-run setup and ensure all your ips or hostnames are correct.  The more involved method is to go through the registry.  If you're not too familiar with how Cisco lays out the registry, go with setup and save yourself the trouble.

david

spaulin
Level 1
Level 1

Shirish is on the right track...

In order for CallRouterA to remain running in simplex mode, it must maintain a connection to AT LEAST HALF of the PGs enabled in router setup.  Check the sideA ccag process' console window title bar to see how many are actually connected/enabled. 

SideB of the CC would need at least HALF+ONE of the PGs to connect to it and all say sideA is unavailable, before IT would run simplex.

When the routers are actively duplexed (sideA's MDS PR-ENB, sideB PR-DIS), you don't really need any PGs to remain connected in order for them to run.  So if, for example you only have one PG connected when the CCs are running duplex, it's no problem.  But if you stop sideB, callrouterA would only have 1 of 3 PGs connected which is not at least half, so it will go idle.

Hello,

Thanks for the explanation. Now I have found the issue, but not sure how to solve it.

- Generic PG has 2 VRU pims and 1 CM pim (this is configured on both sides - duplexed)

- Media Routing PG is only configured on sideA

First, I had enabled 2 PGs on RouterA and 1 PG on RouterB.

If I enable only 1 PG on each side, the issue mentioned above is solved, which means, I am able to completely shut down services on one side and have all the services up on the other side.

However, the MR PG is not seen by the router and cannot go active.

How should I configure this?

Thanks,

Justine.

Let me understand the hardware involved.

It's perfectly acceptable to have both of these PGs (the generic one with the CUCM PIM and the two VRU PIMs; and the MR PG with - guessing - a single PIM) installed on the one box. If that is so, it's trivial to duplex the MR PG on your existing h/w and you are done.

If you have three boxes, you would need to either get another box for MR PGB, or move the MR PGs onto the same boxes as the generic PG and repurpose that 3rd box.

Regards,

Geoff

Hello Geoff,

Thanks for the reply. The first guess was correct (I have 2 boxes not 3).

I have one question:

If we install a duplexed PG (VRU and CM) as in this case, it is no longer possible to install the Outbound Option on only one side? It is mandatory to have it duplexed?

Thanks,

Justine

Justine,

Now I understand what you have done, and why you did not duplex the MR PG for the Dialer.

You have actually misinterpreted the architecture. The "Outbound" part of the Logger is only on side A - that's where the campaign manager, import process and the ba database live. Not replicated on side B!

But this does NOT apply to your MR PG. You should make it duplexed.

Regards,

Geoff

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: