Views
Helpful
Replies

CAXL Library download not available

rainbowstack
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello folks,

I work in a contactcenter for Cisco. We run finesse on a server and use the finesse gui thats ships out of the box.  Now we like to build some gadgets or even our own xmpp client. 

I am able to get the jabberwerx.js file over the network resources of the finesse client page. I can also access finesse.js at assets/js/

However, I would like to get the full CAXL library, preferably as download. I found a couple pages with download links but none of them works. 

I would really appreciate if someone could clarify how to get my hands on the complete CAXL library.

As a side question, would it even be good to use CAXL or should I rather use finesse.js?

Regards,

Nico

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

CAXL isn't my area of expertise so don't quote me, but from my understanding, there isn't any development on CAXL and they just work with the internal teams on changes/fixes.

Thanx,

Denise

View solution in original post

@rainbowstack wrote:
Hey Denise,

That's interesting. How would you listen to the updates from the notification service with the rest API?

I meant that you use the REST APIs to make a request. Then you listen to updates via the notification service. Not that you get updates from the notification service with the REST API.

@rainbowstack wrote:

This is how it all started. I was checking strophe and thought: well, it doesn't look too maintained anymore and why shouldn't I use Cisco's hand crafted XMPP client that uses also BOSH, namely jabberwerx? So I found out this is part of CAXL and that's why I came here.

Well, CAXL isn't maintained either. You can choose which one to use. They are pretty much the same. But whats out there is what is available. I am not aware of a new version of CAXL. 

Thanx,

Denise

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

dekwan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You should use the finesse.js because it is tested and fully supported. If you use the CAXL library, you are on your own.

Thanx,

Denise

Alright Denise,

Thanks for your quick reply! I wasn't sure from which angle to tackle this. Thanks for pointing that out. It renders a more clear path. I will dig into finesse.js then.

Just out of curiosity, is it not possible anymore to download CAXL or does it ship with a different software license?

Regards,
Nico

Hi,

CAXL isn't my area of expertise so don't quote me, but from my understanding, there isn't any development on CAXL and they just work with the internal teams on changes/fixes.

Thanx,

Denise

OK, thanks again.

Not sure if this would be off topic now but I have another question. I understand more or less how gadgets work, but is it possible to use the library without the finesse client.? Basically no gadget but more standalone?
We would like to use finesse with our own client.

Sorry if I ask too much. It's all a bit confusing.

Hi,

No worries at all!

No, you cannot use the finesse.js outside of the Finesse out of the box desktop. If you want to use FInesse in your own client, you can just use the Finesse REST APIs directly (https://developer.cisco.com/docs/finesse/#!rest-api-dev-guide).

Thanx,

Denise

Hello,

thanks for your reply. Yes that is what I expected. I am using the rest API already.

The reason why I ended up here was, that I though well to constantly request my status isn't that great and could be a hit for our network if all the agents would do it. So I checked how finesse is doing it and found out it boils essentially down to long polling over the XMPP Bosh protocol with a pubsub setup.
OK great, I didn't find a way to subscribe to events from the Rest API, that's why I went to see how to utilise finesse.js for that.

Now if you were to tell me that I can subscribe to events from the Rest API, you would make me soo happy because that's what I really want. Everything else would just be a workaround.

Regards,
Nico

Hi,

You can totally subscribe to events. That is what is actually expected when using the REST APIs. Here is the info: https://developer.cisco.com/docs/finesse/#!about-cisco-finesse-notifications

Thanx,

Denise

Hello Denise,

thanks once more! Yes I have seen this but I think there is no way of receiving the updates client side without using some sort of XMPP client. I mean yes you can subscribe on the server and the server will do stuff based on the subscription but how does the client side application know about the updates?
The native finesse GUI implements a XMPP node from the jabberwerx.js file which is from the CAXL library.

From my understanding of the rest API, it is only possible to make regular HTTP requests. So to know about updates, one had to constantly ask for it and that is want I am trying to avoid. I would like to use the proper protocol to receive the published updates.

Regards,
Nico

Hi,

There are other libraries that you can use like strophe.js (http://strophe.im/strophejs/). Finesse was built for you to use the REST APIs to make the request and to listen to the notification service for the updates. Polling isn't recommended. For a thin client, you need to use BOSH (XMPP over http). Strophe is just one library you can use, there are others.

Thanx,

Denise

Hey Denise,

That's interesting. How would you listen to the updates from the notification service with the rest API?

I was looking at strophe last week already. Maybe I am confused but I think strophe does exactly that, long polling over the BOSH protocol. Thus it implements XMPP over http as its near real time.

This is how it all started. I was checking strophe and thought: well, it doesn't look too maintained anymore and why shouldn't I use Cisco's hand crafted XMPP client that uses also BOSH, namely jabberwerx? So I found out this is part of CAXL and that's why I came here.

@rainbowstack wrote:
Hey Denise,

I meant that you use the REST APIs to make a request. Then you listen to updates via the notification service. Not that you get updates from the notification service with the REST API.

@rainbowstack wrote:

Well, CAXL isn't maintained either. You can choose which one to use. They are pretty much the same. But whats out there is what is available. I am not aware of a new version of CAXL. 

Thanx,

Denise

Alright,

thank you so much for all the replies. I have a clearer picture now. I wish you happy weekend :)

Nico
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: