Views
Helpful
Replies

CCX7.0 Database Integration with Oracle 10g through ODBC

adham_tahoun
Level 1
Level 1

Good Day…

We are up to integrate CCX7.0 with Oracle 10g, CCX7.0 documents show the way to integrate the CCX7.0 with SQL server, but mention nothing about Oracle 10g, anyway...

I tried to check the ODBC options, there were many options, I tried to select any Oracle related choice, just to find out Oracle should supply the driver for it. In the forums, people say it’s an Oracle Client, but what will this client do? Am I going to connect though it to the oracle database server or is it going to query the database to my CCX server? What am I going to use in this case, user DSN or system DSN?

If there any tips or recommendations I will be grateful, as it is my first database integration.

Thanks

AT

3 Replies 3

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

The oracle client will install the drivers required to connect to the DB. This should include some ODBC drivers.

You can then create a System DSN (i.e. on available to any device on the system) rather than a user DSN (that is only available to the current logged in user - i.e. administrator, but not the CCX services).

You would then add a connection to the DB subsystem in AppAdmin matching the DSN you have created.

I get the impression that you don't really have much database knowledge or experience, so I would suggest that you don't do anything to the UCCX server.. it's probably worth you getting someone involved who has the experience, or at least get the Oracle client installed on a PC, and experiment with it from there before diving into configuring UCCX. I suspect you may find it an uphill struggle...

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts..

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi Aaron

Thanks Aaron for the information, and yes you are right, I am not a database person.

I have here some questions, sorry if some of them sounds silly

1)       Is there a certain Oracle Client version? or and Oracle Client will work for me?

2)       Do you recommend system DSN on user DSN?

3)       “…. available to any device on the system” as you said in your reply, what do you mean by "device" and "system"? Sorry, but this will help to clear the picture to me

4)       What will this Oracle Client exactly do? Is it going to build an SQL table on my CCX server that query the information from the Oracle Server?

5)       My customer has already implemented database integration with IPCC3.5, how can I check the current configuration of the Oracle Client, and what things else should I check before proceeding with the integration?

The reason I want to understand this because there is a lot of database integration is requested from us, the CCX scripts can be used to query data from SQL tables, I read a lot about this –waiting for the implementation phase- the lucky me, the first integration I faces is with Oracle.

Anyway, who said learning is easy.

Thanks Aaron for your time, waiting your answers.

AT

Hi

1. Use the version of Oracle client that suits the version of the server product in use at this organisation.

2. I'm saying system DSN is what you need to use. A user DSN you create is not available to the account that the CCX services run under.

3. So here I guess I meant 'user' by device, and 'authentication domain' by system. Bottom line is use a system DSN, then it's available system wide. The UCCX services run under 'crsadministrator' so that account (which you won't every log in as) needs to be able to see the DSN you set up as 'administrator'

4. No. The Oracle driver basically adds a driver to the system so that the DB can be queried via ODBC. ODBC (Open DataBase Connectivity) drivers allow various DBs to be accessed in a consistent way, much the same way as TAPI or print drivers work. It allows you to query the DB tables on the Oracle server.

5. The scripts created in 3.5 will allow you to get some familiarity with what is going on. Perhaps create a new test application on that box, with the same scripts as the live apps and see what exactly they do.

If you don't have database experience, it's really not something to blunder your way through. Database are a whole different skillset for a lot of people who don't run into this until it comes up in a scenario like this, so if you don't have someone experienced with it it would be wise to subtly seek the assistance of the customer's DB/application team to get input on what you should be querying and how.

Something to bear in mind though:

If you are running SQL statements starting 'select', you can do a limited about of damage. Worst is more or less that you cause performance issues for other users.

If you are running SQL statements starting 'update', 'delete', or anything else other than 'select' you can do an unlimited amount of damage.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts and mark answered questions that you've got a satisfactory response from to help identify useful content in the forums...
https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-6212

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: