cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Choppy outgoing audio

rtuite811
Level 1
Level 1

I work in an IT call center, and we use CIPC and Finesse.  I am randomly being told by my callers that they are only hearing about every 5th word, even though I am receiving them clear as a bell.  Most of the time, I have no issues and everything works fine.  But, occasionally, in the middle of the day I will start having this issue.  It has, however, been becoming more frequent.  

To test, I called myself on my cell after being told by a caller that this was happening, and if I say 1 or 2 words it's fine.  But if I try to say a sentence, it starts cutting out horribly, leading me to believe it is packet loss.  However, my network is fine and all checks out.  Plus, I can hear them just fine with no issues.  

The only commonality between all these events is my machine's memory usage.  Each time this has happened, my machine has been up around the 70-75% memory usage range.  We use Chrome heavily, plus I'm on several projects on top of my call center duties.  So, it's not uncommon for me to have 3 Chrome profiles with a bunch of tabs all at once as well as Visio, Excel, and other applications running, 70% is pretty average MO for us.

So, basically, I need to figure out why CIPC is not able to process outgoing packets when my memory usage is medium high.  Doesn't seem logical, as I've never had this issue with any other VOIP software or voice applications like Hangouts, WebEx, or Discord.  Plus, it's only outgoing audio, not incoming.

I can request more RAM for my machine, but I need to exhaust all other options first, and the outsourced vendor that we have for support has been pretty much useless because they keep trying to blame it on Finesse when clearly it's a CIPC issue because it happens even if I completely log out of Finesse.

7 Replies 7

Out of curiosity, how much RAM/what are the specs of the machines that have the issue.

Also, what are you using for headset/microphone? Does it require installed software on the computer as well?

I'm on an 840 G2, running Core i5 2.3GHz & 8 GB RAM.  My headset is a Corsair H2100 (to block out office distractions.) The software for this is optional, but I do have it installed.

Hi , I am no expert, but I do the administration on our system  and I have agents that use CIPC and run into the same scenario as you . 

I looked at your attachment and here is what I would have my users try:

1) on that Audio  tab - your screen shot shows the laptop's "Realtek High Definition Audio"  - Use the drop down and change this to the Headset you have connected to your laptop.  I do that for each setting: headset, speakerphone, handset, device ringer.

2) on that Audio tab - when you click on Network button, your screen shot shows "use this address" button selected and a 192.x.x.x net work address.  In this place we always have our users click on the "Detect Automatically"  anytime a 192.x.x.x address shows in that other field.

I am not a network person, so don't know why this works,  I just know that it is needed.

And the last thing you could try is on that Audio tab - click 'optimize for low bandwidth"  - but this one does not always make a difference.  I would do the others first and test before this last one.

Those are the only suggestions I have , hope they work out for you.

That wasn't my screenshot.  Though my audio settings are the same (Default Windows Device) as the screenshot, I have no other options in the dropdowns for those fields.  My network settings are set to "detect" and the IP generated by that is correct.  As far as "optimize for low bandwidth," I have tried this in the past but it actually made matters worse.  Not sure if this requires back-end optimization that's just not set up or what, but it actually worsens the issue.

D_Lebedev
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

Pay attention which interface is used for CIPC.

Also,it will be great if you check CIPC version,it should be 8.6.6.0.

Hope it helps.

Our versions and settings are dictated by our global contact center team, and we're on 8.6.5.0.  Others on my team with identical settings and versions don't seem to have an issue.

rtuite811
Level 1
Level 1

At this time, I have upgraded my RAM to 16GB and this seems to have cleared the issue up.  I'm guessing that there is something in the CIPC code that shares outgoing packet handling and memory allocation duties causing this issue when memory space is low.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: