cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUIC Export, Can't open .xls files

johnoliphant1
Level 1
Level 1

I have to assume this is a known thing but I can't find any discussion about it.

When I export a report from CUIC 11.6.2 in .xls formt, I can't open the exported file in Excel 2016.

"Excel cannot open the file .... because the file format or extension is not valid."

This is probably because my group policy won't allow me to open .xls files because of security, etc. What's the workaround for this?

20 Replies 20

Hit yes when you see that warning and the file will open. Yeah it's annoying, but there's something weird about how CUIC exports XLS files.

david

In my case Excel won't open the file. My only option is to copy/paste the results and that doesn't work for longer reports because I have to copy/paste in sections.

Igor Filatov
Level 1
Level 1

Hi John.

It is not a Cisco problem, but you can try this: https://www.easeus.com/file-recovery/excel-cannot-open-the-file.html

None of the solutions at the link worked. I'll try the Easus tool when I have access to a non-domain computer, but these are for fixing broken files. Is CUIC exporting broken files? ;-)

Do you have this same issue if you try and have someone open it with Excel 2013? There are some comments online about some people having that type of issue and would be curious if it is tied to that.

Separately, the bug that I think David is referencing looks like it might finally be being addressed, at least according to the notes for this bug. https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCuz72510

Probably unrelated to your issue, but might be worth following.

You tease! I don't see any indication that this is going to be fixed. Maybe you can see something I can't, but yeah I would love this small annoyance to be gone. Comes up every time for me.

david

Yeah, I have to do a few reports monthly and I was hoping it was fixed in 11.6.2

I could swear when I looked at it yesterday it showed pending release, but now it doesn't, just shows as an Enhancement request and doesn't even show all versions impacted like v 11.6.

Didn't mean to get everyone's hopes up. Can anyone with access to a v12 system confirm if it is resolved there (at least for Excel 2013)?

Oh you had me so excited Bill. Up til recently it's just been an annoyance but I've been trying to merge weekly automated call logs with macros and this error has become a showstopper for my plans. I hope this gets resolved!

Hi David/Drew, I knew I wasn't crazy.

So depending on how you look at the defect, sometimes it shows as Release pending, which is what I saw, and sometimes it shows as an enhancement.

If you click on the defect, it doesn't show as release pending, but if you hover over the defect from a search, it does, screenshot attached.

So hopefully the true status is the preview/release pending one but we'll see. I'm also going to try that hover over defect in the future in case it shows different/additional information.

That explain the mix up, I do hope it's release pending! However, I can tell you from experience CUIC 12.x has the same issue.

david

Can you post a copy of the file curious if this is a PC issue.

david

I'll try to generate a report I can readily share. Might be a few hours from now.

Nope. 11.6 was working fine with Excel 2013, just got a warning. Can you try it in google docs?