Views
Helpful
Replies

(CUSP)SIP Proxy-SM-SRE-910-K9- SW-Version-8.5.9, DRS Backup and reload Question

Amarjeet Saini
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Experts,

I have two quick questions  regarding Cisco Unified SIP Proxy version 8.5.9.

Note:   IPCC contact centre inbound traffic using 2 SIP Proxy modules. We also support IPCC contact centre outbound Dialer traffic using 2 separate SIP Proxy modules.

Client size: Enterprise level

AVG CPS for Inbound solution: 15 on each SIP Proxy module.

AVG CPS for outbound Dialer supported solution: 2 on each SIP proxy

Questions:

1. First regarding DRS Backup. 

2. Second regarding maintenance reload recommendations for SIP proxy module/router.

DRS Backup. 

I think there are two ways of taking backup(CLI and GUI).

**GUI**

In the GUI admin guide(link below), it says we can configure a backup server, configure schedules for automatic backup OR we can manually start a backup: 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cusp/rel8_5/OLH/gui_config_olh/core_config_backup.html 

**CLI**

IF we take a look at the CLI configuration guide for CUSP version 8.5, it shows some conflicting information: 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cusp/rel8_5/cli_config/cusp_cli_config/back_rest.html 

Restrictions for Backing Up and Restoring Data

You must be in offline mode when you back up or restore the system, so we recommend performing these tasks when call traffic is least impacted. Offline mode terminates all calls.

Cisco Unified SIP Proxy does not support the following backup and restore capabilities:

Scheduled backup and restore operations. The backup and restore procedures begin when the appropriate command is entered.

–Centralized message storage arrangement. Cisco Unified SIP Proxy backup files cannot be used or integrated with other message stores.

–Selective backup and restore. Only full backup and restore functions are available. Individual messages or other specific data can be neither stored nor retrieved.

So, its a bit confusing. I want to confirm:

1. Can we take backup from GUI while the module is in production (without impacting any calls)?

2. Can we configure a schedule as well for periodic automatic backup like CUCM or UC from GUI? If yes, then why they mention scheduled backup in Restriction list for CLI guide?

3. I know that we should take backup as soon as we make any changes to the system. Is there any recommendation for a scheduled backup for SIP proxy?

4. If will be great if you can share your experiences regarding SIP Proxy?

2. maintenance reboot recommendations for SIP proxy module/router:

1. What's the recommendation for SIP proxy router and module reload. Should it be done periodically?  In our set-up, they are up for close to 1 year now. Considering the fact they are busy routing traffic, is there any suggestion on reloading them?

2. It will be great if anyone can share their experience regarding maintenance. 

Regards,

Amarjeet 

2 Replies 2

Deepak Mehta
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

1. Can we take backup from GUI while the module is in production (without impacting any calls)?

Yes,i believe there is no impact on production .

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cusp/rel8_5/OLH/gui_config_olh/core_config_backup.html

2. Can we configure a schedule as well for periodic automatic backup like CUCM or UC from GUI? If yes, then why they mention scheduled backup in Restriction list for CLI guide?

Schedule can be based upon how much back up space you have got on back up server.

If diskspace is not a constraint then weekly and montly or even daily back up ( if frequent config changes) is recommended

3. I know that we should take backup as soon as we make any changes to the system. Is there any recommendation for a scheduled backup for SIP proxy?

Answered above

4. If will be great if you can share your experiences regarding SIP Proxy?

CPU utilization  and logging level should be checked and set to recommended levels.

We have seen logging level has impacted CUSP alot of times.

2. maintenance reboot recommendations for SIP proxy module/router:

1. What's the recommendation for SIP proxy router and module reload. Should it be done periodically?  In our set-up, they are up for close to 1 year now. Considering the fact they are busy routing traffic, is there any suggestion on reloading them?

Yes,reload is recommeded by cisco however some devices works fine without reload for years.

Atleast once in a year device should be rebooted.

2. It will be great if anyone can share their experience regarding maintenance. 

We had four SIP proxies and we rebooted them once a year .

We closely monitored the CPU uliization and made sure it well within limits.

Thanks Deepak,

I have found some interesting information after a test in my lab sip proxy:

Test 1:

1. Added a backup device from  GUI. 

2. Did a manual backup from GUI, it immediately says its putting the module in "offline" mode. 

3. backup done and I had to bring it back "online'.

Test 2:

1.  Added a backup device from  GUI. 

2. Configured a test backup schedule to backup config+ data in next 5 minutes. 

3. Schedule runs on time and the config + data files appear on the backup server. 

4. Note: The system does not show any message saying "going in offline" mode. It remains online and the backup is done quickly. 

I do not know if these two tests have made things clear or confused me even further.. but for sure the CLI and GUI admin guides for SIP proxy need some fix to the information listed. They are conflicting and causing confusion.

I have opened a case with TAC. Will confirm details.

Thanks again for the heads up regarding backup and  reload time interval. 

Regards,

Amarjeet

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: