Views
Helpful
Replies

CVP ASR/TTS Nuance MRCPv2

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

HI Gents,

Does any one have a very good call flow/configuration/troubleshooting guide for CVP integration with Nuance ASR/TTS using MRCPv2. I have been trawling through google and cant find a very good document.

Even if its a link to cisco live I wouldnt mind.

Thank you all

Please rate all useful posts
13 Replies 13

We've opened documentation defects to make sure some of the Nuance related settings are updated in the CVP configuration guides like here have a lot of good information https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cust_contact/contact_center/customer_voice_portal/cvp11_6/configuration/guide/cvvp_b_configuration-guide-for-cisco-unified/cvvp_b_configuration-guide-for-cisco-unified_chapter_01100.html?bookSearch=... , but don't neglect to review the Virtual Voice Browser guide (I'm guessing that 's what you're using and not VXML gateway). For instance, note the requirement that Nuance needs to be local to the VVB server and not over the WAN.

What issue do you have?

Hi Bill,

Thank you for this. I dont have any issues at the moment. I have inherited a self service solution that uses NUANCE ASR/TTS. And I am tyring to do a deep dive into understanding the call flow. How things are configured and how they all interact.

Would you mind helping with things like where to define grammar files on call studio and is there anything specific to define on Call studio voice element that tells voice browser to use ASR/TTS.

Thank you Bill

In Call Studio, you have to configure Project/Properties/CallStudio/GeneralSettings to specify that you're using the VXMLGateway: Nuance or Vxml2.1 Nuance.

Then you can use any of the elements in Studio (Digits, Number, Currency, Date, Time, YesNoMenu) to have Nuance use its built-in grammars.

You can use the Form element to invoke
1) external grammars that are retrievable by nuance using http by configuring the settings named VoiceGrammar and DTMF Grammar

2) builtin grammars, by configuring the settings :

VoiceGrammar builtin:grammar/grammarNameHere
and DTMF Grammar builtin:/dtmf/grammarNameHere

3) inline grammars, by configuring the VoiceKeyword and DTMF Keypress settings.

More details can be found in the Element Specifications reference manual that Bill King sent you a link to.

This assumes you've configured the VB to connect to your speech server either through VVB Admin web page or IOS VXML GW configuration.

Thank you Janine. I read about some of your post from cloverhound blog site. Great job you are doing. Looks like I found my mentor for this ASR/TTS thingy, if you would have me as a mentee :)

VVB part is all done. I also see the user defined grammars. I have been trying to figure out where these would be placed on Nuance Server. They are all .grxml files. I am not sure if I am not looking in the right place or the documentation on Nuance is not very much out there...

you can put the grammars anywhere on the nuance server.
In Studio, you'll enter the file location as
VoiceGrammar: c:\temp\myVoiceGrammar.grxml

DTMFGrammar: c:\temp\myDtmfGrammar.grxml

Entirely up to you/preference, but we put them on the CVP/VXML server in one of the folders where the audio files are stored, since the people who need access to that to update audio files for call flows would typically be the same ones who would be adding/updating the grammar file as well. This way you have less people needing access to the Nuance server. Again, personal preference, but just throwing it out there.

You are on the money Bill. While I was troubleshooting, look for vxml pages for another application I found the location of the grammar files on the CVP/VXML servers. I had poked around on Nuance and came up short. Thank you

C:\inetpub\wwwroot\grammars

just to add to Bill's comment. If you put them on a server other than Nuance, they MUST be available to nuance via HTTP.
So put them somewhere under IIS like c:\inetpub\wwwroot\grammars
And you'll have to set the IIS MIME Type so IIS knows what .grxml and .gram (compiled grammars) are.

When using a URL (rather than a file name c:\), the grammars are retrieve and cached by Nuance.

So if they change you'll have to wait for them to expire in the Nuance cache before the modified grammars are used.

You can prevent them from being cached during development, by adding a ? into the URL so it seems as if they're not static, but dynamic.
http://iisServerHostName/grammars/myDevGrammar.grxml?cache=no (?cache=no could be replaced by any 'name=value', it's really just there to prevent the grammar from being cached, so every phone call checks for a new grammar)

Janine,

Thank you so much, you just saved me a few hours of googling how Nuance will retrieve the grammar files. So where would I define the http link on Nuance?. I appreciate I am getting ASR/TTS/NUANCE 101 here. I wish I was in the US, would I come down for your course.

Janine,

I think I figured my last question out. You do this by specifying the URL pointing to the cvp servers where the grammars are located in the voicegrammar of the voice element form. I think you mentioned this earlier as well but didn't quite catch it. Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: