cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ECC variable length

paul jurkowski
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question. I understand ECC variables, but when you set them up, there is a maximum size field. Currently, one of our ECC variables has a maximum size of 5, but more data must be being written to it as I see calls being routed based on this variable and the IF checks that are routing it.

For example lets say the ECC has a max size of 5. One IF check states IF Call.UserVariableX = ServiceandSales send down this path. Further down the line, there is another check for IF Call.UserVariableX = 'SalesandService" follow this path. Both are longer than 5 characters and both are being routed. Is it safe to say that you can force more data into an ECC and the Maximum Length field is only a guideline to help you manage your ECCs so you don't go over the limit?

4 Replies 4

aschroeder2
Level 1
Level 1

Paul,

This is not really intuitive but when you set the max size you are not really setting the max size.  The real max size is 5+max size

see https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-16182

However, I'm passing 12 characters in the one that is set to 5...I also believe that how you calculate the actual size of the variable itself including the buffer, not the data it can carry.

Kris Lambrechts
Level 1
Level 1

I know first hand that this length is strictly adhered to by the time you're passing ECC context to a VRU. If a Scalar is 8 characters long, you'll only get the first 8 characters of whatever you put in there. So while I currently don't have access to my lab to check it out further I'm going to assume that the Router will indeed allow you to store more data in an ECC variable and use the data for call routing, I'm about 99% sure that the the variable content is reduced to its intended size when the call context is passed on to the Peripheral Gateway (OPC).

GIve it a try by reading this ECC variable from your agent desktop ?

Cheers,

Kris

FYI : The 5 bytes in the document that Anthony referred to are not 5 free bytes, on the contrary, they are used as delimiters when storing your ECC variables with the rest of the call context. So you 'lose' 5 bytes per ECC variable. Note also that the 2000 byte limit relates especially to CTI Server for scalability reasons. If you have no need to provide ECC data to CTI applications, you should tpyically be able to pass this limit (although there is obviously some added performance impact with each ECC variable you add).

That makes sense because I know for a fact that Peripheral Variables 1-10 can carry more than 40 characters through the router and be routed by them but only a max of 40 are written to the DB. Found this out when using ICM to ICM gateways. Thanks,

paul