Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Finesse 12.0 gadget testing with nocache

I am testing gadgets in Finesse 12.0 for the first time. The nocache parameter is not working as expected

I am loading a gadget from an external IIS server. Updates to the gadget are reflected immediately on the 11.5 desktop with nocache. The same gadget does not update on the 12.0 desktop with nocache. 

Has the usage changed in version 12.0?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed update. It has been confirmed that this is indeed a bug in 12.0. I have opened a defect CSCvp77244 for this issue. It may take a little bit of time to be customer visible.

Thanx,

Denise

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Quigath
Spotlight
Spotlight

What does your URL look like?

This has worked for me in 11.6.
https://[IP]/desktop/container/?nocache

dekwan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Interesting. I just tested this out and also have issues with nocache on 12.0. I know it takes longer for the desktop layout to go into affect (confirmed with documentation) so maybe this is related. Looking at the Gadget caching/nocache documentation (https://developer.cisco.com/docs/finesse/#gadget-caching) for 12.0, I don't see anything stating it'll take longer. In my test right now, it took close to 5 minutes for the change to reflect. I ended up signing out and back in within that timeframe though.

I will reach out to the Finesse team to see if this is a bug or documentation needs to be updated.

Thanx,

Denise

Thanks for confirming. It does update occasionally but I have not been able to match it to a specific timer. Logout/Login will not automatically refresh, when it does it is probably related to the same timer expiring.

Any update from the developers?

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed update. It has been confirmed that this is indeed a bug in 12.0. I have opened a defect CSCvp77244 for this issue. It may take a little bit of time to be customer visible.

Thanx,

Denise

Any workaround available?

Regards,

Erik

Hi,

Unfortunately not. The bug will be fixed in the next 12.0 ES, but I do not have a ETA on when that will be.

Thanx,

Denise

ES2 was released last week. Looks to be fixed by my limited testing. 

sean.newman
Level 1
Level 1

This is NOT FIXED in later versions of Finesse. In particular version 12.5 and 12.6. It is worse than it has ever been. Even restarting the Tomcat services on the server will NOT release the cache. After restarting Tomcat, I still have gadgets calling functions that are not even defined anywhere in the current code. I can't even use the &nocache parameter because that causes the gadget page to not load at all!

Weird, I've seen ?nocache or the CLI command to clear the cache work on 12.5 and 12.6. Can you double check your config?

david

I've tried it on customer installs, in dCloud and in the Finesse Sandbox. Every time I add ?nocache or &nocache to the end of the URL, the page never loads until I remove it. I have no idea why because I've used that in all of the previous versions of Finesse with no problem.

I looked in the CLI for a command to clear the cache. I found one command related to cache, but that didn't seem to help. What command are you using to clear it?

Everything in 11.6 was perfect and there were no problems building gadgets. In 12.x,  it's almost impossible. I have loaded a gadget from a remote server, if I make changes to the gadget, it never recognizes the changes to load them. I have renamed the files on the IIS server so the ones Finesse is trying to load do not even exist, and yet somehow Finesse still renders the gadget page, even after I have issued the "utils service restart Cisco Finesse Tomcat" command. I have restarted the entire Finesse server and it STILL will not release the cache. And I know it's Finesse doing the caching because if I load the files directly from the IIS server, I can see the changes immediately.

As an alternative to loading remotely, I decided to copy the gadget files and Javascript directly to the Finesse server instead. Finesse wouldn't even SEE the local files until I restarted the Cisco Finesse Tomcat service. This is Finesse 12.5 ES5. There are no more updates available for 12.5. What else can I try?

Your experience is very unique. The last gadget I developed PCCE 12.5 didn't have this issue at all, but maybe you're on UCCE. The other thing that was different I was not using IIS but was using the 3rdpartygadget folder. Other thing you can do is use version v1/gadget, then v2/gadget. There's no reason why this shouldn't work. If it doesn't then maybe your Finesse pair is behind a load balancer or the synchronization between both nodes is off, or there is just something off with your install and I would reach out to TAC to confirm.

david

Sean,

I think the above is not accurate and tone is way off - but I can understand your furstration.

There is not a  Cisco Finesse issue and a few things on your end can correct this.

1) Use the "nocache" in the URL and so Finesse won't cache the files.

2) Setup your web server hosting your application and disable caching on this - have you done this - do you know how?

Set respond headers to expire immediately.

In IIS this is done by:

Selecting the Server (or Site), 

Select - HTTP Respond Headers

Set Common Headers - Expire Immediately.

Otherwise your browser will cache your files - this is nothing to do with Finesse.

3) If you don't do step 2 above - simply press CTRL+SHIFT+DEL and clear your browser cache before retesting.

Gerry

Thanks David and Gerry for chiming in.

I have not experienced this issue with both 12.5 and 12.6 and have not seen others state that it is not working on these versions. Please try what both David and Gerry suggested to see if it fixes your issue.

Thanx,

Denise