cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to execute an incorrect selection prompt?

Hello everyone, please help, I am generating this script for a survey, the question is how can I play a custom prompt when a person presses a key that is not enabled ?, attached script image, thanks.Survey.PNG

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Sean Lynch
Level 7
Level 7

You can add a "Play Prompt" step in either of the two menu output branches for "Timeout" or "Unsuccessful."  However, the prompt will only play when the "Timeout" or "Maximum Retries" parameter is exceeded for the given case, as configured on the Input tab of the Menu step properties.  Changing Max Attempts from 3 (default) to zero removes additional retries on invalid entry of a non-selected filter item.

Anthony's method works as well, but only provides a single attempt for the response.  Without any additional scripting it does not provide an option to "retry" in the event the contact makes an errant response (a non-selected filter option--or invalid selection; again which results in the contact entering the Unsuccessful branch for the menu option). So if you have a requirement that states the contact to needs to be able to make additional attempts on an invalid entry, you will need to add some additional steps.

I like using a custom/combination of these two methods.  Like Anthony mentions, on the Input tab, set the Max Retries to zero. Add a 'loop and counter' type logic under the Unsuccessful branch, and give the contact the option to hear the Menu prompt repeated, or notify them a key-press is invalid/unvailable.  You can see in the image below, I placed separate Play Prompt steps within the output branches: "timeout" message and "invalid selection" message.  When the timeout, unsuccessful, or combination of the two options exceed the loop counter (iMaxLoopCount variable), the case exits the branch to the next set of steps.  You can do this for each menu, just remember to reset your loop counter--if you use the same variable.

2019-1202-unsuccessfulMenuEntry.png

There are probably more elegant ways of handling this, like creating separate loop variables for each (Timeout, and Unsuccessful...), but I don't want the caller to remain in the application for infinity...so I just reduce the logic to help them along, but still provide the opportunity to make a correction...

Hope this helps.

-Sean

View solution in original post

Good additional comments Sean. Also, here's a little trick to get rid of the increment steps:

If (++iLoopCount < iMaxLoopCount)

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
In the menu, set the Retries to 0, then handle your invalid input in the Unsuccessful branch.

Sean Lynch
Level 7
Level 7

You can add a "Play Prompt" step in either of the two menu output branches for "Timeout" or "Unsuccessful."  However, the prompt will only play when the "Timeout" or "Maximum Retries" parameter is exceeded for the given case, as configured on the Input tab of the Menu step properties.  Changing Max Attempts from 3 (default) to zero removes additional retries on invalid entry of a non-selected filter item.

Anthony's method works as well, but only provides a single attempt for the response.  Without any additional scripting it does not provide an option to "retry" in the event the contact makes an errant response (a non-selected filter option--or invalid selection; again which results in the contact entering the Unsuccessful branch for the menu option). So if you have a requirement that states the contact to needs to be able to make additional attempts on an invalid entry, you will need to add some additional steps.

I like using a custom/combination of these two methods.  Like Anthony mentions, on the Input tab, set the Max Retries to zero. Add a 'loop and counter' type logic under the Unsuccessful branch, and give the contact the option to hear the Menu prompt repeated, or notify them a key-press is invalid/unvailable.  You can see in the image below, I placed separate Play Prompt steps within the output branches: "timeout" message and "invalid selection" message.  When the timeout, unsuccessful, or combination of the two options exceed the loop counter (iMaxLoopCount variable), the case exits the branch to the next set of steps.  You can do this for each menu, just remember to reset your loop counter--if you use the same variable.

2019-1202-unsuccessfulMenuEntry.png

There are probably more elegant ways of handling this, like creating separate loop variables for each (Timeout, and Unsuccessful...), but I don't want the caller to remain in the application for infinity...so I just reduce the logic to help them along, but still provide the opportunity to make a correction...

Hope this helps.

-Sean

Good additional comments Sean. Also, here's a little trick to get rid of the increment steps:

If (++iLoopCount < iMaxLoopCount)

Thank you very much, everything has been a great help, regards.

Thanks for the additional tip--VERY useful!!

Thanks!

-Sean

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: