For installing on Windows 10, have used these instructions many times and never had problems with running the editor once installed.
1) Before starting the installation, create a directory C:\Program Files (x86)\wfavvid_XXXX (editor version)
2) Log into the laptop / PC with adminstrator account
3) Right-click the installation file and select ‘Properties’.
4) Click the ‘Compatibility’ tab.
5) Check the box next to ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select ‘Windows 7’ from the drop-down menu.
6) Click ‘Apply’.
7) Run the installation as administrator.
8) When prompted , change the installation folder to C:\Program Files (x86)\wfavvid_XXXX directory you created earlier.