Views
Helpful
Replies

ICM Patch installation take long time to finish

atoxet
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We deployed a new PCCE system recently and I realize that the time required for the installation (of the base/major version, and of ES) is very different from 1 server to another, even if they are the same role. For example, it took 1 PG 15 mins to finish the installation of 1 ES, but it took another PG 1.5 hours to finish the same job, in which the "Configuring firewall exclusions..." took most of the time.

Has anyone experienced the same thing? How can we check and resolve this?

Thanks,

atoxet

11 Replies 11

What antivirus software is on the server? Are you able to pause protection for instance or ensure it isn't scanning when you do this?

Hi @bill.king1 ,

There is no antivirus software on our servers. The strange thing is the installation is slow for some servers but not slow for some other servers, even the servers are exactly the same (like in my example, PG A vs PG B).

Thanks,

Hiep.

Do you have the services stopped, set to manual, etc. between the two? Have the servers even been active (even with the base install) to make sure there isn't some other inherent issue going on?

Hi Bill,

Yes, we stopped the service, set to manually before the installation. The servers have been active.

Actually I experienced the same when installing the base ICM software (i.e., first installation, before running "Web setup:), some servers are fast, some are slower, but we didnot care much (as we just jumped from 1 server to another, started installation, moved to something else when the installation ran)

Thanks,

And what software version/ES are you specifically trying to install where you're running into this?

Hi all,

I did have the same problem with 12.6(2) on our AW Server, but in a Enterprise environment. It stuck for more than an hour at the point where the SSH configuration should be done. Looking at the logs, the installer should run a small Powershellscript to check installed version, copy files and install the service:

"Running command: powershell.exe C:\icm\bin\DeployAndConfigureOpenSSH.ps1 -currentOpenSSHVersion 8.9.1.0 -packagePath C:\icm\install -logFolder C:\Temp -scriptPath C:\icm\bin

Looking into this log is even more confusing:
This is the last row in the logfile
5/24/2023 11:51:53 AM - Extracting C:\icm\install\OpenSSH-Win64.zip to C:\icm\install

From RouterA Logfile the next step should be (after 2 seconds)
5/24/2023 10:10:17 AM - Extracting C:\icm\install\OpenSSH-Win64.zip to C:\icm\install
5/24/2023 10:10:24 AM - [SC] SetServiceObjectSecurity SUCCESS [SC] ChangeServiceConfig2 SUCCESS [SC] ChangeServiceConfig2 SUCCESS

We have a P2 TAC Case open now.
On the PGs we are running into a different error during the installation: 
UpdateDatabases: Could not load C:\icm\bin\dbupgrade.dll. Error: -1

I will keep you updated if we will get a solution and maybe this is also applilcable for you.

KR
Dennis 

Hi all,
we got a solution provided by TAC:
1. The powershellscript DeployAndConfigureOpenSSH.ps1 is checking folder permisseion for the SSH Log folder. When there is a different permission being set than the default permission the scripts prompts for an answer what to do with this. Keep, delete, etc.
But this is not showing up in the installation window and so the installer stucks at this point. You will see this when running the script with the parameters of the installer manually.  
Solution: Check and adjust the permissions of the folder to read only for users and Read-Write for admins.

2. We probably need to install ODBCv17 Driver on the pgs to go through the 12.6(2) setup. This needs to be confirmed but TAC Engineer was confident.

Maybe the first solution gives you a hint for your problem.

KR
Dennis

Hi @Dennis Hackenbracht ,

Was your installation successful at the end? For me, the install succeeded; only that it took too long on 1 server, but much faster on another server (like the example I gave earlier: PG A took 15mins, PGB took 1.5hr + to finish)

Thanks,

Hi atoxet,

we have installed AW (SSH Powershellscript problem) and PG (dbupgrade.dll) sucsessful with the provided workarounds.

Kind regards
Dennis

Thank you for sharing this. Is there a defect tied to these changes?

The Bug is now online:
https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCwf53825

Kind regards
Dennis