Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it ok to enable compression on the StorageData Volume for AQM Recordings

Can one enable compression on the storage volume for QAM recordings?

Best Regards
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Graham Old
Level 7
Level 7

If you ask Cisco/Calabrio they will say no.

If you are going to record calls onto a compressed drive it is going to take a performance hit. You would need to evaluate what is your simultaneous recording capacity on your server and what is the maximum number of calls you are recording. If your server can handle 100 simultaneous recordings but your maximum number at any one time is 20 then it is very unlikely you will have any performance problems.

The next thing to look at is what format are you storing the recordings in. If you are using the SPEEX format then the recording is already compressed and trying to compress a second time is not likely to give you any improvement.

If you are storing in the WAV-8 format then you could switch the storage format to SPEEX. Existing recordings will remain in WAV-8 but new recordings will be compressed. You only need the WAV-8 format if you are using Analytics as the audio to text needs the best quality format.

You can find your recording format under System Configuration/Enterprise Settings

Capture.PNG

Personally if your format is SPEEX then I would not compress the drive. If you are not in the SPEEX format I would switch to that and not compress.

Graham

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Graham Old
Level 7
Level 7

If you ask Cisco/Calabrio they will say no.

If you are going to record calls onto a compressed drive it is going to take a performance hit. You would need to evaluate what is your simultaneous recording capacity on your server and what is the maximum number of calls you are recording. If your server can handle 100 simultaneous recordings but your maximum number at any one time is 20 then it is very unlikely you will have any performance problems.

The next thing to look at is what format are you storing the recordings in. If you are using the SPEEX format then the recording is already compressed and trying to compress a second time is not likely to give you any improvement.

If you are storing in the WAV-8 format then you could switch the storage format to SPEEX. Existing recordings will remain in WAV-8 but new recordings will be compressed. You only need the WAV-8 format if you are using Analytics as the audio to text needs the best quality format.

You can find your recording format under System Configuration/Enterprise Settings

Capture.PNG

Personally if your format is SPEEX then I would not compress the drive. If you are not in the SPEEX format I would switch to that and not compress.

Graham