cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Music in Queue is horrible

Matt Crosby
Level 1
Level 1

I am running UCCX 10.5.1. I am working on a script where I wish to put hold music in a queue.

I have formatted the audio file accordingly. (8bit, 8000hz, mono) and it sounds fine when I play the file itself.

I wanted to simply upload that, reference the file with a "prompt" variable and tell it to execute between "call hold" and "call unhold" actions in the script.

When I listen to the file in the script, it is horrible! You can't even listen to it for more than a few seconds, it is so bad.

How can I get a more clear sound? What other ways can I execute this?

-Matt

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First, you cannot play a prompt between the hold and I hold steps. When CCX places a call on hold CUCM MoH is played. If you want to play the prompt you must use a Play Prompt and set Barge In to No.

Second, the WAV file must actually be encoded in G.711 u-law, not only 8000hz, mono. If it sounds horrible it's because this is wrong. Audacity is capable of exporting in this format if you need a free app to do it.

PS- In the unlikely event that CCX is set for G.729 and you managed to find a program capable of encoding this format, music will always sound horrible. G.729 compression assumes/predicts human voice, not musicz

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Can you play the prompt without using the callhold and callunhold steps?

david

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First, you cannot play a prompt between the hold and I hold steps. When CCX places a call on hold CUCM MoH is played. If you want to play the prompt you must use a Play Prompt and set Barge In to No.

Second, the WAV file must actually be encoded in G.711 u-law, not only 8000hz, mono. If it sounds horrible it's because this is wrong. Audacity is capable of exporting in this format if you need a free app to do it.

PS- In the unlikely event that CCX is set for G.729 and you managed to find a program capable of encoding this format, music will always sound horrible. G.729 compression assumes/predicts human voice, not musicz

This was it man. I knew it had to be in u-law but didn't see it in the save options for formatting. I double checked it and found it. I already had Audacity so that helped out too.

Thanks Jonathan.

Arundeep Nagaraj
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In addition to what Jonathan mentioned below, if you are using Play Prompt step between the Call Hold and Call Unhold step, you might be running into the following defect:

CSCuq42288

This is fixed in UCCX 10.6. But this is more of truncation rather than garbled audio which mostly depends on encoding format. However since you are 10.5, you will be susceptible for the above defect for external calls.

Regards,

Arundeep

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: