Views
Helpful
Replies

Procedure for Recording a Prompt and replacing an active recording

alanmiller
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

What would be the procedure for using a script to record a new announcement (for instance the office is closed for the holidays or something) and automatically replace the existing prompt with the new one and have it go active immediately. I cannot seem to make a new prompt go active without restarting the Engine.

Also, any ideas on an easy way to keep the *old* prompt so that when they get back from holidays they don't have to re-record it, they can just move the old one back?

Thanks,

Alan

3 Replies 3

a-vazquez
Level 6
Level 6

To Create a Directory Handler

Step 1 In the Cisco Unity Administrator, go to any Call Management > Directory Handlers > page.

Step 2 Click the Add icon.

Step 3 In the Add a Directory Handler dialog box, enter information as applicable in the Name field.

Step 4 Select New Handler or Based on Existing Handler. If you select Based on Existing Handler, select the applicable directory handler in the Based On field.

Note that if you base a new directory handler on an existing one, all of the settings are copied except extension and recorded name. If you select New Handler, the new directory handler is based on the default directory handler.

Step 5 Click the Add button.

Specify the settings for your new directory handler, as applicable, and then click the Save icon.

Note that when directory handlers are based on Public Distribution Lists, there may be a delay in synchronizing and accessing new directory handlers by using the Cisco Unity phone conversation.

This URL should helps you:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00801ba443.html#38245

Hi . Actually I was speaking of using scripting in IPCC 4.0, not Unity Directory Handlers. I figured out how to do it though so that our customer can record a message and have it immediately replace an existing prompt. If anyone would like to know how to do it (it's pretty easy) please send me an email. alan.miller@ontera.ca

alanmiller
Level 1
Level 1

Here is what works for us using IPCC Express 4.0 Premium edition. We wanted to allow our customer to record custom "prompts" and have them immediately become active, but keeps the old prompts to put back later. This is useful for if the office is closed for an extended period and they want to change their "office closed" prompt accordingly.

To record the prompt and make it active immediately:

1. Use a recording step and place it in a document type variable

2. Use a write document step to save the .wav file somewhere so that if the customer wants to record the prompt early and then make it active later, they can.

3. Create a "User" type variable and use a Get User step to get information on a user who would have access to upload prompts.

4. Now do an "Authenticate User" step and enter a username and password for a user who can upload prompts.

5. Use the "Upload Prompt" step to upload the prompt which is contained in the document variable that was used in the Recording Step above. For the filename you MUST specify the exact filename and location of the existing prompt! This replaces it with the new one.

6. If you are uploading a prompt that was not JUST recorded (in other words, the document variable is not populated from the recording step) then you need to create a Document variable of FILE type which points to the saved recording file you created in #2.

Now in order to put the old prompt back you first need to save it somewhere else in a "backup" folder for instance. This way you always have a copy of it for restoring.

1. Copy your "standard" prompt into a new prompt directory called Backup.

2. In your script create a document FILE type variable and point to the Backup prompt filename.

3. Do the same Get User step and Authenticate User step as above.

4. Do an upload prompt and specify the FILE document variable in #2. Make sure you specify the exact file name of the existing prompt ! This will replace it.

5. Old standard prompt is now active.

Some notes:

#1 - When you create Document FILE variables they must be full paths starting with the drive letter

#2 - In the Upload Prompt step, the file name that is being uploaded must be the same as the existing prompt and also formated like this "filename" + ".wav"

I think that's it, if anyone has any other questions send me a note at alan.miller@ontera.ca

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: