cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

span port recording

Paul Austin
Level 4
Level 4

Hi All, A real idiot question but we have to use span port recording as we are using citrix (unless anyone knows different) but I just can't get my head around the span part at the UCCX end. Span on all the access switches is fine but the server is only using 1 NIC for all the existing traffic, now, can I just enable span from the agents ip phone vlan to the SAME port as what the server is currently connected to OR do I need to connect the 2nd NIC to the switch and configure the span to that port? Will I need to configure a seperate IP address in the server for that 2nd NIC - I guess not.

Many Thanks

14 Replies 14

Paul Austin
Level 4
Level 4

Ooops forgot to say - IPCC V7.X

You use the second NIC for this. No IP address, in fact you have to unselect the TCP/IP protocol if memory serves. If you don't some of the Calabrio servcies get confused what NIC to use. I spent what feels like 10 minutes searching for the doc on this but I couldn't find it.

Oh, are you guys talking about Calabrio recording or UCCX Supervisor monitoring and call recording?

If it was Calabrio I would just use the phone's built-in-bridge. I've seen it work great with QM 8.5 and UCCX 8.5. I'd be interested in knowing if the Calabrio Call Recording 8.5 server can work with UCCX 7.0 and Callmanager 7.1 and be able to use the phone's built-in-bridge for call recording.

Thanks,

Mark

The built-in monitor record, which was also written by Calabrio. The more you know.

davismark.s
Level 1
Level 1

This is what I did recently for a customer: They have UCCX 8.5 running on ESXi on UCS C10 server. That server has two NICs but by default all the VMs were on one NIC. So I used the second NIC and I put the UCCX VM on that second NIC. Callmanager and Unity Connection VMs remained on the 1st NIC.

Then I used a Catalyst 2960 to span the ingress of the voice vlan to the destination port that was connected to that second NIC. You have to enable ingress forwarding for that to work so that regular traffic can pass still pass through.

Now, I did all this because 8.5 doesn't support using a second NIC. 7.x does, I believe. So you may be able to put the voice monitoring service on that NIC. I don't think it would need its own IP address if it's just in promiscuous mode trying to listen for voice traffic.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi

You select the NIC to use usign the postinstall.exe in the program files/cisco\desktop\bin folder. Whilst you don't need an IP address, the NICs are identified by IP and GUID, so we used to assign something recognizable but useless to the second NIC (e.g. if your server is 10.10.10.1, assign 169.254.10.1 as 169.254 shouldn't be in use anywhere). Then you can see which NIC you want to assign.

And then SPAN all to that secondary NIC only.

You can bind monitoring to the production traffic NIC, but there's no scenario where this is a good idea.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

OK thanks everyone - Think I have an idea now but isn't the postinstall.exe used on the agents when using desktop monitoring/recording whereas I'm using old fashioned span port recording?

I was going to do the following:-

give the 2nd nic a 169.254.x.x address

do the bit in regedit - hkey_local_machine/software/spanlink/fastcall voip monitor server/setup/monitor service and make sure the ip address just given to nic2 is set

then do a span session from the switches to the port that nic2 is connected to.

Hi Paul

Postinstall is used on clients to select the monitoring NIC etc.

It's also used on the server for various settings. Other Spanlink products work the same way.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi Aaron, sorry for sounding crazy but when I run this program, I get the existing iP address of NIC 1 populated. Do I just need to add the IP address of the 2nd NIC? I just don't want to mess it up on this live system.

Many Thanks

Hi

The first box that pops up allows you to specify the instance of UCCX to connect to to configure - so don't change it!!

Just hit OK, and you get the main program, there's a list of options on the left, and you want to select the monitoring/sniffing/whatever it says one and then pick the NIC from the dropdown.

Aaron

Hi Aaron, Thanks for that. Still no joy. just to confirm, I need to record ALL the conversations from certain agents phones that are in a certain vlan so I shouldn't need to setup something in the workflow right?. I can verfify that the traffic is reaching the server (and only 1 copy of each RTP packet as well) but there are still no files recorded. Anything else I need to check as I'm getting out of ideas now?

Many Thanks again

Hi Paul

Yes, of course you need to set something up :-)

The recording feature of UCCX isn't meant to record all agents. You can trigger a recording from the Supervisor app, and you can add buttons to the Agents using Desktop Administrator. Recordings made that way start from the moment you hit the button, not from the start of the call, and not automatic.

If you want to record all calls to some agents, you need to set up an action in the workflow config that triggers a 'Recording Start' Utility Action when a call hits the 'answered' state.

See here for a walkthrough: https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-12335

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts..

Hi Mark,

I see you posted that you were able to get bi-directional trafficed on a destination port for a Session Monitor by enabling Ingress Forwarding. I've been tryingt to exactly the same thing for a while but have  been unable to get any of our switches to actually pass the traffice both ways.  Can you post your Monitor Session config as well as the port config for this?

"Then I used a Catalyst 2960 to span the ingress of the voice vlan to the destination port that was connected to that second NIC. You have to enable ingress forwarding for that to work so that regular traffic can pass still pass through."

Thanks

Jim

Jim, I don't have access to the switch right now, but if memory serves there was nothing special done on the switch port itself. It is set as a regular access port assigned to vlan 1.

Here's how I did the span:

!
monitor session 1 source interface Fa0/2
monitor session 1 destination interface Fa0/1 ingress untagged vlan 1
!

Thanks,

Mark