Views
Helpful
Replies

SQL 2005 64bit or 32bit?

hambleton
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We will be installing an ICM Entreprise 8.5.2 on Windows2008 R2 which is a 64bit OS. Is it supported to install the 64bit version of SQL 2005 + SP4 or should we stick with the regular 32bit version of SQL 2005 SP4?

Regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I got this working in the lab with SQL 2005 32bit without any issue, but thats because I dont have a 64bit SQL version

Anyhow looked into this and SQL 2005 64bit isn't supported.

The only document that I could find any meantion of this was in the 8.0 Upgrade Guide.

One of the UK guys already contact the dev team and at this point the only way to go is 32bit but this is subject to change in the future, when it is supported this will be reflected in the BOM

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Unfortunately the BoM is not clear.  I would think that if you have a 64 bit OS you would support 64 bit software, however since the BoM doesn't explicitly state it does I'm afraid it might not.  The other reason why I think it doesn't is because under CCMP it does state that it supposed SQL 2005 64 bit.  To be honest I would ask Cisco and have them open a bug on the documentation to clear this up.

david

Great question  - and I don't know the answer either. At the moment I have a customer staging W2008 servers and they are installing SQL Server. I don't know which version they are installing, but your post has prompted me to check.

I'll be following this post and look forward to hearing what Cisco say. I also urge you to ask Cisco.

Regards,

Geoff

I got this working in the lab with SQL 2005 32bit without any issue, but thats because I dont have a 64bit SQL version

Anyhow looked into this and SQL 2005 64bit isn't supported.

The only document that I could find any meantion of this was in the 8.0 Upgrade Guide.

One of the UK guys already contact the dev team and at this point the only way to go is 32bit but this is subject to change in the future, when it is supported this will be reflected in the BOM

hambleton
Level 1
Level 1

TAC also confirmed that the 32bit version was the only one currently supported.

Agreed.

I listened to the recording of the TOI again last night and that reinforced it. Cisco appeared to be leaning to the next version of SQL rather than engineer/test support 64-bit SQL 2005. They asked for feedback from partners.

Given that the ICM is 32-bit running in WoW64 (Windows 32-bit on Windows 64-bit) I don't care about SQL at this stage. Eventually all the apps will run native 64-bit and then 64-bit SQL would be desirable.

Regards,

Geoff

It's just been verified that the ICM 8.0(1a) installer will throw up an error message saying SQL 64-bit is not supported if you have SQL 2005 64-bit installed.

Charlie