cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TFTP Server

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

How do I configure a 1800 router to function as a TFTP server, so that I may backup and restore ios files

---

Posted by WebUser Siphiwe Soto from Cisco Support Community App

4 Replies 4

Gergely Szabo
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

it cannot be done that way.

Buy a cheap PC, a Raspberrry PI for instance, install Linux or FreeBSD on it, and voila, TFTP server.

G.

Mark Pareja
Level 1
Level 1

http://tftpd32.jounin.net/

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hi,

Follow this instructions:

1) Locate the file to flash folder

2)Use this command to specify the location:

tftp-server flash:"File path" alias "File name

Example:

tftp-server flash:/PHONE/6921_6941_6961/Sccp/cmterm-69xx-sccp.9-2-1-0.tar alias cmterm-69xx-sccp.9-2-1-0.tar

Regards

Please rate all useful posts 

Leo,
Your instructions are correct for serving static files, however the question is about uploading and downloading iOS FW and configurations. Cisco IOS does not support receiving files via TFTP. For this you will need a tftpd server, either under Linux or a win32/64 . The link I previously posted allows for serving and receiving via TFTP on windows platforms. For OsX and Linux there you can use a tftpd daemon.

Another option if you have a Linux box at your disposal would be to use an expect script to login to each host(target router) and backup the running config. This would also allow you to automate the backup task by creating a cron job that may run every night.

To restore you could use FTP to copy running config back to the node(target router) . http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_1/configfun/command/reference/frd2001.html

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App