cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCCE transfer Identification

CDL
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking to understand agent transfers in UCCE from both an agent's point of view and in the data.

1) From an agent's perspective, what is the difference between a warm transfer and a conferenced call?

2) Are all conferenced calls always a transfer?  E.g, does the original agent always pass the call to someone else?

3) Which data elements do I want to focus on for reporting?  The calldispositionID on TCD (28, 29,30)

or the Peripheral Call type (4, 12, 13)?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Omar Deen
Spotlight
Spotlight
  1. A warm transfer is primarily you as agent 1 speaking with agent 2. While this is happening, the calling party (your customer) is on hold until either you conference them in or you or agent 2 end that leg of the call. A conference would be having an additional call leg, which in this case would be agent 1, agent 2 and the calling party (customer). A real world scenario would be something like this...
    • Customer: You guys over charged me on my mobile bill! Fix it
    • Agent 1: Please hold one for one minute, let me reach out to my colleague
      • Agent 1 presses the Consult button in Finesse and dials either a number to go off net or to a CTI Route Point (usually). In this case, let's assume they reach out to another agent
    • Agent 2: Hello, this is agent 2, how may I assist you?
    • Agent 1: Hi! This is agent 1 and I have an angry customer. Can you help me?
    • Agent 2: Sure. What's the customers account number?
    • Agent 1: It's 1234567
    • Agent 2: Great. Send them over
      • Agent 1 then clicks on the Conference button to complete the conference. Now we have agent 1, agent 2 and the customer all talking to each other
    • Agent 1: Mr. customer, we have agent 2 here that will assist you
      • Agent 1 at this point will release their leg of the conference so now it's only agent 2 and the customer
  2. All conference calls are indeed an initiated transfer, or as you'll find in Finesse, a Consult.
  3. Honestly, you could use both because they each have values that specifically call out the transfer and conference.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Omar Deen
Spotlight
Spotlight
  1. A warm transfer is primarily you as agent 1 speaking with agent 2. While this is happening, the calling party (your customer) is on hold until either you conference them in or you or agent 2 end that leg of the call. A conference would be having an additional call leg, which in this case would be agent 1, agent 2 and the calling party (customer). A real world scenario would be something like this...
    • Customer: You guys over charged me on my mobile bill! Fix it
    • Agent 1: Please hold one for one minute, let me reach out to my colleague
      • Agent 1 presses the Consult button in Finesse and dials either a number to go off net or to a CTI Route Point (usually). In this case, let's assume they reach out to another agent
    • Agent 2: Hello, this is agent 2, how may I assist you?
    • Agent 1: Hi! This is agent 1 and I have an angry customer. Can you help me?
    • Agent 2: Sure. What's the customers account number?
    • Agent 1: It's 1234567
    • Agent 2: Great. Send them over
      • Agent 1 then clicks on the Conference button to complete the conference. Now we have agent 1, agent 2 and the customer all talking to each other
    • Agent 1: Mr. customer, we have agent 2 here that will assist you
      • Agent 1 at this point will release their leg of the conference so now it's only agent 2 and the customer
  2. All conference calls are indeed an initiated transfer, or as you'll find in Finesse, a Consult.
  3. Honestly, you could use both because they each have values that specifically call out the transfer and conference.

@Omar Deen wrote:
      • Agent 1 presses the Consult button in Finesse and dials either a number to go off net or to a CTI Route Point (usually). 

These days you don't even bother creating a CTI Route Point if you are coming out of Finesse. Just make a Dialed Number on the UCM Routing Client and attach the script in the normal way with the conventional Send to VRU structure. ICM will make the Route Request and it will execute the 2-stage transfer (first to CVP and then to the gateway) and will queue the call.

We used to use a DNP (Dialed Number Plan) for this, with the appropriate Agent Desk Setting, but even that's not needed now.

Once agent 1 is consulting to agent 2 (customer on hold) you can use Alternate to get the customer back (placing agent 2 on hold) and tell the customer that "Bob will help you now" then Alternate back and complete the transfer.

I think there are five concepts and you need to understand all 5, know how to make them work, and then figure then out what the customer wants

• Consult
  • Alternate
  • Transfer
  • Conference 
  • Direct Transfer 

Regards,

Geoff

@geoff wrote:

These days you don't even bother creating a CTI Route Point if you are coming out of Finesse. Just make a Dialed Number on the UCM Routing Client and attach the script in the normal way with the conventional Send to VRU structure. ICM will make the Route Request and it will execute the 2-stage transfer (first to CVP and then to the gateway) and will queue the call.

I'll have to try that!

What I've been doing lately is creating a wild card in Call Manager that covers a certain range that I want and then creating my DNs on the CUCM routing client. So rather than littering Call Manager with all these CTI RPs, I create one as a Wild Card and be done with it.

@Omar Deen wrote:

@geoff wrote:

I'll have to try that!

What I've been doing lately is creating a wild card in Call Manager that covers a certain range that I want and then creating my DNs on the CUCM routing client. So rather than littering Call Manager with all these CTI RPs, I create one as a Wild Card and be done with it.

As long as no one is required to route to your scripts from an IP phone (as long as all access to the scripts comes from Finesse), you do not have to touch Call Manager.

Of course, if you do have scripts (like internal help desk etc.) that non-agents have to run, you need something in UCM. If it's not a transfer though, and because you do not need to keep Call Context, you can just make it a Route Pattern (not a Route Point) and send it up the trunk to the CVPs - and now your dialed number is on the CVP routing client(s).

What this does imply from a good housekeeping perspective is to only create Dialed Numbers on the appropriate RC.

I have seen too many instances of folks creating the DN on the CVP RCs and then throwing the same DN on the UCM RC - even though UCM is never the Routing Client. That's just poor coding.  

Regards,

Geoff

@geoff wrote:

@Omar Deen wrote:

@geoff wrote:

I'll have to try that!

As long as no one is required to route to your scripts from an IP phone (as long as all access to the scripts comes from Finesse), you do not have to touch Call Manager.

Of course, if you do have scripts (like internal help desk etc.) that non-agents have to run, you need something in UCM. If it's not a transfer though, and because you do not need to keep Call Context, you can just make it a Route Pattern (not a Route Point) and send it up the trunk to the CVPs - and now your dialed number is on the CVP routing client(s).

What this does imply from a good housekeeping perspective is to only create Dialed Numbers on the appropriate RC.

I have seen too many instances of folks creating the DN on the CVP RCs and then throwing the same DN on the UCM RC - even though UCM is never the Routing Client. That's just poor coding.  

Regards,

Geoff

Geoff, 

Couldn't agree more. The issue here is that most IPT engineers don't know UCCE and I found myself in this position as well. I learnt this very point of not needing CTI route point the hard way. We had Agent numbers set up as dialled numbers for their cucm routing client recently to facilitate warm transfer. After this agents started complaining that when they dial from finesse they don't see two way video on their phones. After days of troubleshooting, I realized that the calls  were routed using dialled number on icm and not through the CTI route point created in cucm hence why video didn't work. 

Please rate all useful posts

What I am really trying to get to is how to identify these actions in the data tables so that I can report on them

Looking at data and listening to calls, I am still uncertain when Cisco chooses to label a conference as a "warm transfer" versus "Conference". I have listened to "warm transfers" that go to voicemail so obviously warm bodies aren't a requirement.